Help with in-text citations..

Shannonx

:salam2:

I've asked everyone and nobody seems to know how to do this. For my research paper, we have to put in-text citations in MLA format. My teacher saw it before I turned it into the senior project's main person he said it was fine. But I got it back saying I did it wrong. Tried getting my brother to help, he doesn't know. He said I did it right but I got it back so I must not of.

The information I got to write my paper came from mostly websites, how would I put the website in the paper? By the way i'm doing my paper on journalism, so one example I got was the journalism code of ethics from a website. How would I put that on there?

Eh, i'm probably not making sense. If any of you can direct me to a website that explains how to do in-text citations, or if you even know can you help? Please :D

:wasalam:

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
salam sister..I have a book that teaches you how to do citations...let me go find it really quick...find the section about MLA..and I'll get back to you with information...

it'll take like an hour or so...is that alright?

Shannonx

Yeah that'll be fine. I'm just fixing other things I did wrong in the paper right now. I can wait. Thank you :)

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
salam..

here is what I got from my book..

MLA style requires documentation in the text of an essay for every quotation, paraphrase, and summary as well as other material requiring documentation. In-text citations document material from other sources with both signal phrases and parenthetical references. Signal phrases introduce the material, often including the author's name. Keep your parenthetical references short, but include the information your readers need to locate the full reference in the list of works cited at the end of the text. Place a parenthetical reference as near the relevant material as possible without disrupting the flow of the sentence. Note in the following examples where punctuation is placed in relation to the parentheses.

It then gives a list of examples..and this is the one for

Electronic or Nonprint Sources
:

Give enough information in a signal phrase or parenthetical reference for readers to locate the source in the list of works cited. Usually give the author or title under which you list the source. Specify a source's page, section, paragraph, or screen numbers, if numbered in parentheses.

Ex. Describing children's language acquisition, Pinker explains
that "what's innate about language is just a way
of paying attention to parental speech" (Johnson, sec. 1).

I also thought these examples might help you:

Entire Work or One-page Article:

Include the reference in the text without any page numbers or parentheses.

Ex. Michael Ondaatje's poetic sensibility transfers beautifully to
prose in The English Patient.

Work Without Page Numbers:

If a work has no page numbers or sis only one page long, you may omit the page number. If a work uses paragraph numbers instead, use the abbreviation par. (or pars.).

Ex. Whitman considered their speech "a source of a native grand
opera," in the words of Ellison (par. 13).

For more reference in case this summary and examples are not of much help (especially since *I* typed them from the book..hehe)..I found these websites for you..the first is used and recommended by the public schools here in my town..and the second is from a search I made for ya! :)..

1. www.noodletools.com

2. http://library.duke.edu/research/citing/within/mla.html

p.s. I italicized the examples only to make them easy for you to pick through the text in case you want to comeback and look at them..but they're not supposed to be italicized within the text otherwise..

Keep us updated..and let us know how everything goes..and Good Luck Sister! :D

Wa Alaikum Assalam Wa Rahmatu Allah

Shannonx

Thanks for writing all that. It helped a lot. Now hopefully I can get this all done by Friday...lol.

Thank you for the link as well, Faisal_01.

Shannonx

My project is on journalism, but the actual project I was planning on doing it on Islam. I just don't know what I should do, I need a mentor. That'll be the next tough part after the research paper.

I think I did the in text citations right though. Along with the works cited. I just keep getting told that I don't have enough sources..c'mon I have 10! lol.

arabiantxn

Try to diversify your sources, e.g. books, journals, trade magazines., But 10 sources should be more than enough. I actually only had 3 book sources 2 online sources.