Help with Quran

Kurd11

IN ALLAH...WE TRUST.
Salamu alaykum brothers and sisters.

I have to confess that I have read VERY LITTLE of the Quran and I hardly understand it. Although my dad speaks fluent Arabic, I admit I do not. Partly because we are not Arabs but still. I really need help understanding the Quran. Starting with

Surah 113. The Daybreak, Dawn
1. Say: I seek refuge with the Lord of the Dawn

2. From the mischief of created things;

3. From the mischief of Darkness as it overspreads;

4. From the mischief of those who practise secret arts;

5. And from the mischief of the envious one as he practises envy.

The mischief of created things? I am familiar with the word mischief but I do not understand it in lines 2, 3, and 4. Secret arts? practices of envy? These are some things I do not understand. :-(

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Wa alaykum Salam Wa Rahmatullah,

Here is a better Translation the one you posted is not accurate, Remember that the Quran's meanings are only expressed and understood perfectly in Arabic. The English is simply rough translation of the Arabic.

In the Name of Allâh, the Most
Beneficent, the Most Merciful.

1. Say: "I seek refuge with (Allâh) the Lord of the daybreak,
2. "From the evil of what He has created;
3. "And from the evil of the darkening (night) as it comes with its darkness; (or the moon as it sets or goes away).
4. "And from the evil of the witchcrafts when they blow in the knots,
5. "And from the evil of the envier when he envies."

From the English Language Quran Translation
A Summarized Version of At-Tabari, Al-Qurtubi and Ibn Kathir
with comments from Sahih Al-Bukhari
By
Dr. Muhammad Taqi-ud-Din Al-Hilali, Ph.D.
Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan

We Should Read The Last 3 Surahs before we go to sleep, as well as after our daily prayers.

Sahih Bukhari Volume 8, Book 75, Number 331: Narrated 'Aisha:
Whenever Allah's Apostle went to bed, he used to blow on his hands while reciting the Mu'auwidhat ( i.e. Suratal-Falaq and Surat-an-Nas, 113 and 114) and then pass his hands over his body,

Volume 8, Book 75, Number 332: Narrated Abu Huraira:
The Prophet said, "When anyone of you go to bed, he should shake out his bed with the inside of his waist sheet, for he does not know what has come on to it after him, and then he should say: 'Bismika Rabbi wada'tu Janbi wa bika arfa'uhu, In amsakta nafsi farhamha wa in arsaltaha fahfazha bima tahfazu bihi ibadakas-salihin."

Also should read Ayat-ul-Kursi:

t was narrated that Abu Hurayrah said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) put me in charge of guarding the zakaah of Ramadaan. Someone came to me and started grabbing handfuls of the food. I took hold of him and said, ‘I will take you to the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).’ He said, ‘I will teach you some words by means of which Allaah will benefit you.’ I said, ‘What are they?’ He said, ‘When you go to your bed, recite this aayah (interpretation of the meaning): “Allaah! Laa ilaaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), Al-Hayyul-Qayyoom (the Ever Living, the One Who sustains and protects all that exists)…” [al-Baqarah 2:255] – until he completed the aayah. Then Allaah will appoint a guard for you who will stay with you and no shaytaan (devil) will come near you until morning.’ The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) asked me, ‘What did your prisoner do last night?’ I said, ‘O Messenger of Allaah, he taught me something, and claimed that Allaah would benefit me by it.’ He said, ‘What was it?’ I said, ‘He taught me to recite Aayat al-Kursiy when I go to bed, and said that no shaytaan would come near me until morning, and that Allaah would appoint a guard for me who would stay with me.’ The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, ‘He told you the truth, although he is an inveterate liar. That was the Shaytaan.’” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3101; Muslim, 505.