help

mahdi

muslim brothers i have a question. in my country people celabrate the month that the prophet SAW was born. and they called mowlid. but i notice that it is not the sunnah of the prophet and not the khulafa rashid. so can we celebrate this month?

ibn azem

Super Moderator
Staff member
:salam2:

There's no such month akhi:

"The number of months in the sight of Allah is twelve (in a year) - so ordained by Him the day He created the heavens and the earth...." (9:36)

Islamic months begin at sunset, on the day when the lunar crescent is visually sighted. The lunar year is approximately 354 days long, so the months rotate backward through the seasons and are not fixed to the Gregorian calendar. The months of the Islamic year are:

[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]1: Muharram ["Forbidden" - it is one of the four months during which time it is forbidden to wage war or fight][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]2: Safar ["Empty" or "Yellow"][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]3: Rabia Awal ["First spring"][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]4: Rabia Thani ["Second spring"][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]5: Jumaada Awal ["First freezing"][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]6: Jumaada Thani ["Second freezing"][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]7: Rajab ["To respect" - this is another holy month when fighting is prohibited][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]8: Sha'ban ["To spread and distribute"][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]9: Ramadan ["Parched thirst" - this is the month of Islamic daytime fasting][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]10: Shawwal ["To be light and vigorous"][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]11: Dhul-Qi'dah ["The month of rest" - another month when no warfare or fighting is allowed][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]12: Dhul-Hijjah ["The month of Hajj" - this is the month of the annual pilgrimage to Mecca, again when no warfare or fighting is allowed] [/FONT]

May Allah (swt) guide us all and protect us from innovation (bid'ah).

wassalaam.

q8penpals

[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]3: Rabia Awal ["First spring"][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]4: Rabia Thani ["Second spring"][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]5: Jumaada Awal ["First freezing"][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]6: Jumaada Thani ["Second freezing"][/FONT]

wassalaam.

SAlam! I had a bit of a chuckle when I found out what the names of the Arabic Lunar months!! The Jumaada months both feel in the middle of the summer, when it is over 120 degree in Kuwait, and they are called "first freezing" and "second freezing"! Almost a cruel irony! LOL!
:hearts:
Lana

Globalpeace

Banned
W-Salam,

Islamic months do rotate throughout the year as you will no doubt be aware of since the Islamic Calander is purely Lunar....I was consulting in Saudia a couple of years ago when it snowed in the emirates in late-Summer/Early Fall & it was bitterly cold in Saudia so if Jumada falls outside of Summer then maybe you can escape the irony....Actually temperature regularly hovered around 0 (+/-) in Madina that year in winter

:)

I found it hard to adapt to hot weather in the Middle-East...I had to run in late evenings...decrease CARBS..increase fluids and decrease caffiene etc. to control my temper....

My personality was definitely changing & ...since my return to Europe things are back to normal....

No offense...just stating what I went through

Assalamalikum Guys he is talking about the prophets birthday and not the different months in islamic calender. Well they celebrate the prophets birthday in pakistan and India. But in Islam Some Muslims maintain that celebrating any Islamic occasion is forbidden; they consider celebrating occasions such as the Prophet’s Hijrah to Madinah, Al-Isra’ wal-Mi`raj (the Prophet’s Night Journey and Ascension), the Prophet’s birthday, the Battle of Badr, the Conquest of Makkah, and other Islamic occasions recorded in the Prophet’s biography to be bid`ah (innovation), which is a sign of going astray and, thus, a way to hellfire. But it is not absolutely so. There are certain restrictions that render such celebrations haram (forbidden); this is, if they include any haram activities or any practice that goes against the teachings of Shari`ah, such as what happens in some countries where people undertake odd practices in celebrating birthdays of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him), awliya’ (closest worshipers to Allah), and other righteous people.

However, there is nothing wrong in making use of such an occasion as the Prophet’s birthday to remember and remind people of the great personality of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him), his honorable biography, and his true message that has been revealed to him by Allah Almighty as a mercy for the worlds. How can this be considered a bid`ah?

Celebrating Islamic occasions is a way to remind people of the great bounties Allah has showered on them, and this is not only permissible, but also recommendable and praiseworthy. Allah Almighty has commanded His servants to remember such occasions, as He says, (O ye who believe, Remember Allah's favor unto you when there came against you hosts, and We sent against them a great wind and hosts ye could not see. And Allah is ever Seer of what ye do. When they came upon you from above you and from below you, and when eyes grew wild and hearts reached to the throats, and ye were imagining vain thoughts concerning Allah.) (Al-Ahzab 33: 9-10)

This Qur’anic verse reminds Muslims of the Battle of Al-Ahzab, when the Quraysh, the Ghatafan, and their allies attacked the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) and his followers, and besieged Madinah in an attempt to get rid of the Muslims altogether. Then Allah Almighty supported the Muslims and rescued them from the anti-Islam schemes. Allah Almighty sent great winds and soldiers from among the angels to fight against the disbelievers. It is an order from Allah Almighty to Muslims not to forget that. Therefore, there is a divine order for Muslims to remember such occasions that record Allah’s great favors on them.

Allah Almighty, in another verse, says, (O ye who believe! Remember Allah's favor unto you, how a people were minded to stretch out their hands against you but He withheld their hands from you; and keep your duty to Allah. In Allah let believers put their trust) (Al-Ma’idah 5: 11). Here Allah reminds the Muslims of the wicked scheme against the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him), when the Jewish Tribe Banu Qaynuqa` tried all possible procedures to assassinate the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him). They plotted, but Allah countered their plots and saved the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon them). Allah Almighty says, (… they plot, but Allah (also) plotteth; and Allah is the best of plotters.) (Al-Anfal 8: 30)

Therefore, we can see that talking about Allah’s favors and celebrating them is a praiseworthy act, so as to remember Allah’s Grace and remind Muslims of the Islamic occasions, that they can learn moral lessons from and make use of them. There is really nothing wrong in that, as it has no sign of innovation or heresy in religion.

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum Brother,

Being of a Pakistani background I am well aware of the customary side of this event...

But when you look at history you find...

Rasul-ullah (Sallaho Alaihe Wassallam) migrated to Madina in year 0 (Hijrah) & passed away from this world in year 10. Abu Bakar (RA) then passed away in year 12, Umar (RA) in around year 22 and the last Sahabi Amir bin Tufail (RA) in year 110...

1) Throughtout these 110 years of early Islam we have no evidence of celebration of brithday of Rasul-ullah (Sallaho Alaihe Wassallam) in Islam...no ceremony is highlighted to that affect in history

2) Imam Abu Haneefa passed away in year 150 and we have no evidence until then about the celebration of a birthday Rasul-ullah (Sallaho Alaihe Wassallam)...His Students Imam Abu Yusuf (RA), Imam Muhammad (RA) also didn't mention anything about such a ceremony even though they were very close to the government (former being the Cheif Justice to Haroon Rasheed & later being one to Ma'moon and his brother) and observed the official rituals

3) You can take the timeline & extend it to the Sahaba, Taba'een & Taba Taba'een and find no evidence of the birthday of Rasul-ullah (Sallaho Alaihe Wassallam)

I am neither looking for a debate nor declaring it an innovation (heresy etc.) as I am not a scholar & don't know enough....just a person who does Taqleed (follows the Madhab of Imam Abu Haneefa (RA)) his students & I have not come across this issue in the books of Fiqh of the Hanafi Madhab...

Brith of Rasul-ullah (Sallaho Alaihe Wassallam) is no doubt the mightiest & happiest occasion of all & we do have evidence when other occasions were celebrated by the Sahaba (RA) but I do wonder why something was not done by the best of the generations yet we want to do it...if we beleive it to be appropriate & they didn't then isn't there something wrong with our understanding?

I am a student of history & not a debater so please don't take it the wrong way as my intention is not to rub people the wrong way at all.

All are welcome to correct me if the brithday of the beloved of Allah (SWT)...the pride of all Rasul-ullah (Sallaho Alaihe Wassallam) was celebrated by the best of the generations and there is evidence of such an event in the history of Islam.

I often find Brother/Sisters get entrenched in their positions without giving history much thought as there is so much to learn and so little time...

Studying people, their habits, cultures is most interesting as well...

Comments welcome...Debates Not

Brother in Islam.

P.S: I have also not come across any direct commandments or encouragements in the Qur'aan/Hadeeth towards this practice...however people have pointed out inferences like the brother has...

ibn azem

Super Moderator
Staff member
Guys he is talking about the prophets birthday and not the different months in islamic calender. Well they celebrate the prophets birthday in pakistan and India. But in Islam Some Muslims maintain that celebrating any Islamic occasion is forbidden; they consider celebrating occasions such as the Prophet’s Hijrah to Madinah, Al-Isra’ wal-Mi`raj (the Prophet’s Night Journey and Ascension), the Prophet’s birthday, the Battle of Badr, the Conquest of Makkah, and other Islamic occasions recorded in the Prophet’s biography to be bid`ah (innovation), which is a sign of going astray and, thus, a way to hellfire. But it is not absolutely so. There are certain restrictions that render such celebrations haram (forbidden); this is, if they include any haram activities or any practice that goes against the teachings of Shari`ah, such as what happens in some countries where people undertake odd practices in celebrating birthdays of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him), awliya’ (closest worshipers to Allah), and other righteous people.

However, there is nothing wrong in making use of such an occasion as the Prophet’s birthday to remember and remind people of the great personality of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him), his honorable biography, and his true message that has been revealed to him by Allah Almighty as a mercy for the worlds. How can this be considered a bid`ah?

Celebrating Islamic occasions is a way to remind people of the great bounties Allah has showered on them, and this is not only permissible, but also recommendable and praiseworthy. Allah Almighty has commanded His servants to remember such occasions, as He says, (O ye who believe, Remember Allah's favor unto you when there came against you hosts, and We sent against them a great wind and hosts ye could not see. And Allah is ever Seer of what ye do. When they came upon you from above you and from below you, and when eyes grew wild and hearts reached to the throats, and ye were imagining vain thoughts concerning Allah.) (Al-Ahzab 33: 9-10)

This Qur’anic verse reminds Muslims of the Battle of Al-Ahzab, when the Quraysh, the Ghatafan, and their allies attacked the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) and his followers, and besieged Madinah in an attempt to get rid of the Muslims altogether. Then Allah Almighty supported the Muslims and rescued them from the anti-Islam schemes. Allah Almighty sent great winds and soldiers from among the angels to fight against the disbelievers. It is an order from Allah Almighty to Muslims not to forget that. Therefore, there is a divine order for Muslims to remember such occasions that record Allah’s great favors on them.

Allah Almighty, in another verse, says, (O ye who believe! Remember Allah's favor unto you, how a people were minded to stretch out their hands against you but He withheld their hands from you; and keep your duty to Allah. In Allah let believers put their trust) (Al-Ma’idah 5: 11). Here Allah reminds the Muslims of the wicked scheme against the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him), when the Jewish Tribe Banu Qaynuqa` tried all possible procedures to assassinate the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him). They plotted, but Allah countered their plots and saved the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon them). Allah Almighty says, (… they plot, but Allah (also) plotteth; and Allah is the best of plotters.) (Al-Anfal 8: 30)

Therefore, we can see that talking about Allah’s favors and celebrating them is a praiseworthy act, so as to remember Allah’s Grace and remind Muslims of the Islamic occasions, that they can learn moral lessons from and make use of them. There is really nothing wrong in that, as it has no sign of innovation or heresy in religion.

It would be kind of you to greet with salaam when you reply to your fellow muslims.

Also, when you post you either put the reference, or declare yourself as a scholar in case you have posted an answer to an islamic issue (in this case you put a tafseer of the Qur'an: no source of this tafseer either), in case you do neither one of them we have to unnaprove your post dear sister.

I know very well what he meant, though I responded to what the dear brother said and not meant, if he asked about a month then the answer is provided, if he meant something else and wants another answer to a differently formulated question, insha'Allah we'll try and help him out again.

And not only in those countries do they celebrate the birthday of the Prophet (saws), in my country too. Although I've never participted myself on a Mawlood, I hear people who did that; people even stand all up when the name of the Prophet (saws) is mentioned (or they're told to stand up, after hearing the reading a special part of the poem or whatever you may call it, wAllahu a'lam), now what is that according to your understanding? Is that what we would call "following the teaching of our beloved Prophet (saws)") Certainly not!

I again, ask Allah (swt) to protect us form any innovation in the Deen from which we are certainly warned many times by the Prophet (saws).
There's enough acts of worship and good things to do to get the reward from Allah (swt) insha'Allah, which we probably are not able to reach all of them, new ones are not needed nor wanted!

wassalaam.

mahdi

aslaamu alaykum brothers and sisters , i still didn't get my answer, because one of my muslim brother said we can celebrate the prophet's birh if we are not doing something wrong like saying the names of the {awliya}.. and the other one said it is not from the sahaaba, from the tabiin so we cannot do it we can't add something to the religion . so i am confused i didin't get the answer that i was waiting. but i am understanding something .i thank you all for you answers.

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum My Dear Brother,

Please note that I am NOT a scholar, however I have raised a point that in the annals of history we see no such celebrations by the Sahaba (RA), Taba’een (RA), or Taba Tabaeen (RA)…we also don’t see any verses of the Qur’aan Ahadeeth on the subject (explicit or implicit)…

Being of a Pakistani background it is very common in our culture and almost mandatory for everyone to participate in it & the evidence that you get for it is either/or:

1) Inferences
2) Counter-arguments like what’s wrong with it!
3) It was/is the most momentous occasion & surely it should be celebrated

Again at pains to repeat myself that I am NOT a scholar but as you can clearly & soundly judge for yourself that arguments like 1,2 & 3 are not valid proofs of an action rather they are justifications…

We are told in the Qur’aan & Sunnah to follow Allah (SWT) & his Rasul (Sallalaho Alaihe Wassallam) & not justifications/inferences particularly on issues such as this which were present in the time of the earlier generations & they had ample opportunit(ies) to show us their actions.

This is my “personal” take on the subject that since I have discovered that this was not done in the time of the earlier generations & I believe them to be more pious, knowledgeable and greater in depth in love towards the beloved of Allah (SWT) Rasul (Sallalaho Alaihe Wassallam) I have stopped participating in it.

I understand that some scholars not only permit it but find it praiseworthy & I am not on par with them in knowledge/experience/piety to comment on them BUT to me if something was done by Sahaba (RA) I would rather personally stay away from it…because of obvious reasons.

When it comes to Islam I would rather be cautious then the spirit of celebration get the better of me…

Jazakullah Khairun

P.S: This is a personal opinion and better Brother/Sisters on the forum are Insha’Allah here to correct our mistakes…

mahdi

aslamu alykum , thank you brother i have understood it , becauase i have read a hadith that says , no one can add something to the diin it was already completed, so i think if it was good to celebrate this month, the sahabas would have done it or the tabiin . so my brother i was too used to celebrate this month but knoe i don't do it anymore. because i have seen them say something about the <awliya> the good muslims i thinlk they ask forgivness to them. and that is shirk. mthank for your help that was what i needed

yasser_khan1210

allahs peace blessings and mercy be upoun you

in the name of allah the most beneficent and the most merciful

brother i was very pleased read your query that god has decided to show you the right path . in case to me question of moulid
i would like to first of all cleare the basic doubts in your mind about the few islamic terms

farz compulsory in all occassions other than a few exceptions given by the creator himself.

sunnah legal ways prophet mohammed (peace be upoun him)

biddah any new innovation in islam

shirk the worst act of joining companions with allah

now regardin your question i would like to say only this much our prophet (peace be upoun him) lived upto the age of 63 that is 40 birthdays without prophethood and 23 bithdays with prophethood so now let me tell u that even after living upto such a ripe age he did not even attempt to celebrate birtday.

celebrating birtday is the culture of christians and not muslims

a hadith goes in its favour saying that

any body amongst you(muslims) follows the culture of non muslims then they will not be counted amonst us
i.e, it is the decission of the prophet mohammed (peace be upoun him)that if a muslim follows the life style of non muslims ( celbrating birthday, deepawali , christmas or any other non muslim relegios activity then they will be discarded from th relegion)

now gentleman it is for us to think if u believe that our prophet (peace be upoun him) knows the relegion at its best then why didnt he ask his followers to celebrate his birthday or even the khalifa didnt celebrate the birtday then my dear brother

just think w

who are we and

what is our position in islam to make a new innovation if we do any such thing then it willbe called as bid

hope i answered your question for any further queries pls do caontact me as soon as possible