Hijab and Men

muhammad.abdullah

AOA wr wbrkt

My brothers and sisters i want to share something with you which i believe is still like a thorn in the throat. Some months back a fine young man i know, who is also very "liberal minded" broke up with his betrothed just because she wears hijab and covers herself from head to toe and wouldnt renounce it. He doesnt want a hijabi, he wants a modern girl. Gosh, Allah sw does what he wills. The irony is i know some guys who are average muslims but are willing to marry hijabis and they cant find any. On the other hand this so called liberal guy wants a modern girl and comes accross a hijabi.

May Allah sw guide us all.

waslam

aseel

assalamu alaykum

Iam a convert and i hear alot of my muslim friends say she does this or that because she is modern. I wear hijab(all the time ) and niqab when ever possible( i can not at uni in france) and i am very modern i have a mobile phone an i pod .....
I would like to understand more about people that think it is being modern to not dress modestly. what makes them think that it is modern? Did nobody tell them that islam is for ever and is perfect and does not need an update ?

Love my islam

:salam2:
Everyone has their own idea of being modern. We should only do what pleases Allah. I think this sister is better off without her modern husband.
Allah knows best
May Allah guide us all. Ameen

Ahmed_2000

Servant of Allah
assalamu alaykum

Iam a convert and i hear alot of my muslim friends say she does this or that because she is modern. I wear hijab and niqab when ever possible( i can not at uni in france) and i am very modern i have a mobile phone an i pod .....
I would like to understand more about people that think it is being modern to not dress modestly. what makes them think that it is modern? Did nobody tell them that islam is for ever and is perfect and does not need an update ?

Salaam Allaikum

Sister

people have strange thinking who comes from muslim countrires because they believe that all the inventions and advancement in technology was done by the people in west be that criastians, athiest or jews. many dont know what muslims have contributed to the inventions and many are thinking its a big lie that muslims have invented anything and the arguement they give is that if muslims contributed in anyway to the invention then why the muslims countries are still underdeveloped or not as advance as western countries. so you see the muslims who did a great deal of contribution to the technology is down the drain in the hearts of new era muslims so the mentality is if you waer hijab you are backwards , they have completely forgot the purpose of life.

May Allah Guid them :salah:

Salaam Allaikum

Ahmed_2000

Servant of Allah
Salaam Allaikum

why the technology in muslim countries are not as advance as west becauuse of the fact that west has colonised everywhere and the crusades happend and they the Western thiefs have taken (Stolen) all resourse and goods and knowledge from the mulim and few nonmulim countries. for example paper was invented by chinese. and so on so forth. but everything happpens from Allahs wills dont just start blamming west for what they did but rather start beliving in Islam and see what alllah inshallah has for the muslim Ummah.

One of the biggest example in this millinum is the oil in middle east is being stripped away from countries like Iraq etc

in other words we are the final Ummah from Allah , and we will suffer more than the cristians did in thier times. becase we are all bieng tested by Allah (SWT)

Salaam Allaikum

Karima

Asalamualikum,

About 'modern'...I have noticed that most jilbabs are dark, to not attract, to cover what one is wearing underneath, whether it be sweat pants, jeans, outfit, etc.

Would a jilbab in white, or lighth pink be not so 'drab' and put a little 'light' on the women wearing nice hijabs? This is all a suggestion and would like to throw out for discussion.

Salam

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
assalamu alaykum

Iam a convert and i hear alot of my muslim friends say she does this or that because she is modern. I wear hijab and niqab when ever possible( i can not at uni in france) and i am very modern i have a mobile phone an i pod .....

AssalaamuAlaikum,

Dear dear Sister, having mobile and ipod does not make you modern but your looks and attitude. You might have misunderstood the other people's concept of modernism. Actually the term of modernism is used in association with the more and more sick attitudes of people with the passage of time. Every coming time is getting worse than the earlier time. Humanity is truely committing suicide by the innovation of fetish and ungly things. Gay marraige and Lesbianism had not been so much acceptable that governments sit for hours and make laws for them. Hayaless (shameless) culture was never so wide spread in the past. So much thin clothes were made possible through the advanced technology of textiles. Women started wearing tight jeans. Jean were not there a couple of hundred years ago.

So it is the association of the term modernism in contrast to the traditional respectful attitudes. It has nothing to do with a person following Islam but being aware of technology and using it for healthy purposes.

Wassalaam,
VE

muslimahindeen

:salam2: MODERN MUSLIM????? WHATEVER!!!!!! ................................

Practicing God-fearing muslim !!!!!! yahhhhhhhhhhh

this stuff really gets to me how can some one be a modern muslim??? you are either obeying the commands of Allah or u are not......there is no in between.

We Muslims should realize our duty to our Lord and should stop looking for leeways to doing what we think is right...

it says in ahadeeth "the world is a prison for a beliver and paradise for a disbeliever"............... we should control our nafs and try our best to obey the commands of Allah swt.................we are here in this world for a short time so forget about being modern stick to the sunnah .........and InshAllah we'll enjoy the sweet blessings of JANNAH ..............

wasalam

umm hussain

assalamu alaykum

I wear hijab and niqab when ever possible( i can not at uni in france) and i am very modern i have a mobile phone an i pod .....

walaikum salam warahmatullah. If you cannot practise a very important part of your religion at Uni, why don't you give it up for the sake of Allah and inshallah he will reward you with something better than it. A degree is not worth it if it involves disobedience to the creator. If you die without a degree it is no big deal and inshallah you can still enter paradise but if we die whilst disobeying Allah we will find our place in the hell fire.

You could try distance learning or something

muhammad.abdullah

the SO CALLED modernists are going astray

AOA wr wbrkt

My dear brothers and sisters, i thank you all for your comments. At this point i want to make myself clear of what i think of modernism. Well in my original post i used the words 'liberal' and 'modern'. Well i firmly believe that Islam is alhamdulillah already liberal, modern and in shape for all times. We must not forget that the creator for this way or life is Allah sw Himself and He is perfect. It is He, who has shaped Islam for us in such a way that it is applicable in the present and all times to come. Had it been not like this then surely He would have advised us. I declare that there is no God but ALLAH and Muhammad (saw) is the last messenger of ALLAH.

May Allah guide us all and its as clear as the the shining moon on a cloudless night that our chaste and hijabi sisters are the finest of all women just like pearls in seashells.

wasalam

revert_north

NEW MUSLIMA
:salam2: MODERN MUSLIM????? WHATEVER!!!!!! ................................

Practicing God-fearing muslim !!!!!! yahhhhhhhhhhh

this stuff really gets to me how can some one be a modern muslim??? you are either obeying the commands of Allah or u are not......there is no in between.

We Muslims should realize our duty to our Lord and should stop looking for leeways to doing what we think is right...

it says in ahadeeth "the world is a prison for a beliver and paradise for a disbeliever"............... we should control our nafs and try our best to obey the commands of Allah swt.................we are here in this world for a short time so forget about being modern stick to the sunnah .........and InshAllah we'll enjoy the sweet blessings of JANNAH ..............

wasalam

Salaam,

I think I know what you mean...you mean that one can't try to 'modernise' Islam, right? If that's what you mean, then I understand, 'modern muslim' is an oxymoron...But as far as being a TRUE Muslim (not trying to give yourself leeway or 'update' the deen in any way), as well as living what most of us would consider a 'modern' lifestyle (computers, cars, telephones, etc), then this is of course possible!

The real sad thing is that people talk about 'hijab' in terms of being modern/old fashioned...Just because a sister does wears hijab, does NOT mean that she is not up to date with developments considered modern in the country in which she lives. People (of all faiths) have some crazy ideas! They see a hijabi and assume that she is completely 'backwards' in every aspect of her life, simply because she chooses to preserve her modesty (alhamdulillah).

walaikum salam warahmatullah. If you cannot practise a very important part of your religion at Uni, why don't you give it up for the sake of Allah and inshallah he will reward you with something better than it. A degree is not worth it if it involves disobedience to the creator.

i agree with you
but what you said dont you think its a little bit tough for a converted muslim?

you can also ask a 1000 of normal muslim are they ready to do what you said?

are our iman is strong to practis islam in this way?

i think we should always have the right advise infront of our eyes but we should do also as long as possible with the energy of our iman`and not with the power of our Jazba.
ähmm i dont know the meaning of jazba in english.

heartbeat

salam.. i live in the usa where every possible trait of beauty you can see.
but as a muslim i find no more charming than a veiled girl. subhan allah, when i see a hijabi girl i feel that i want to cry sometimes.
allah created humans and knows us better than ourselves.
so called modern girls and boys, lightly dressed or undressed, skirts or tight, really make laugh...well or sad actually, because it takes strengh and courage and wisdom to know that what a boy ist his built and what makes a girl isnt her butt.

Bilal.

islam doesn´t says that we should ride on an ass or on a horse.
we are allow to use every kind of system if its not against the things which in islam is obligatory.
to eat with hand is told by propher mohammad (sw) . soo there is something wrong if we eat with spoon.
but there is nothing about mobile or using telephone .
we just separte all things from islam.
no its not like that.
we just have to see what quran and sunnah says about car, telephone, jeans , t-shirt etc.
to be islamic minded it doesn´t mean that a muslim is not allow to use toyota or?

Globalpeace

Banned
Elimination of Poverty in Pakistan!

Asslamo Allaikum,

"Being modern" is a term used in India/Pakistan and to be honest it is out of context.

President Musharraf said in an interview on 14th of August 2006 (National Day of Pakistan):

"My" governement has placed pakistan's economy on firm footing and eradicated poverty; look around you on the streets & you see everyone carrying a "Mobile Phone"...

Just like its stupid to think that by carrying mobile phones all Pakistanees have become rich

It is equally stupid to think that women without Hijab & men without Beards are modern.

I have discussions about this with my family and freinds in Pakistan all the time...

I say to them so you take the stupidist, dumbest, racist, sexist, bigot, idiot in the world and make him eat with a knife and fork & he becomes "Modern"!

OK! Well said...

Most people avoid discussing these things with me like Plague!

mahdi

muslims, why do u think being nacked is modern and forwards . muslims god has given you his religion and his guideness and he showed how to dress and mkae a living , why do u dispute or even think that naked is modern, ''istaghfurallah''please ask forgiveness if u thought that someone is making you wear something you don't want, please ask forgivne. the hijab is your own benifit it's a protection from the evil eye that is always looking at you., allah only comands us what is good or us , in these days you will find that even the zina is modern , my allah save us from this sins of this world and my allah forgive us.

O Prophet! Tell thy wives and daughters, and the believing women, that they should cast their outer garments over their persons (when abroad): that is most convenient, that they should be known (as such) and not molested. And Allah is Oft- Forgiving, Most Merciful.(quran)

Globalpeace

Banned
Hijab for Men???

Asslamo Allaikum Brother,

Re-posting from the thread yesterday...
You have highlighted a very serious issue indeed.

Apart from a having a FULL BEARD; Many Muslim men think that Hijab ONLY applies to women; which is a grave error.

There is a dress code for men as well:

Cover in Righteousness
The Noble Qur'an Al-A'raaf 7:26

O Children of Adam! We have bestowed raiment* upon you to cover yourselves (screen your private parts, etc.) and as an adornment, and the raiment of righteousness, that is better. Such are among the Ayât (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) of Allâh, that they may remember (i.e. leave falsehood and follow truth).

What Must Be Covered During Prayer
The male 'Aura for prayer is that he must cover himself with clothes from umbilicus of his abdomen to his knees, and it is better that his both shoulders should be covered.

The Noble Qur'an 7:32
O Children of Adam! Take your adornment (by wearing your clean clothes), while praying and going round (the Tawâf of) the Ka'bah, and eat and drink but waste not by extravagance, certainly He (Allâh) likes not Al-Musrifûn (those who waste by extravagance).

Say (O Muhammad SAW): "Who has forbidden the adoration with clothes given by Allâh, which He has produced for his slaves, and At-Taiyibât [all kinds of Halâl (lawful) things] of food?" Say: "They are, in the life of this world, for those who believe, (and) exclusively for them (believers) on the Day of Resurrection (the disbelievers will not share them)." Thus We explain the Ayât (Islâmic laws) in detail for people who have knowledge.

The Thighs The thighs are part of the aura and it should be a man's intentions to keep it covered.

Reported Muhammad Jahsh, "The Messenger of Allah, upon whom be peace, passed by Ma'mar while his thighs were uncovered. He said, to him, 'O Ma'mar, cover your thighs, for they are (part of the) 'aurah." This is related by Ahmad, al-Hakim and al-Bukhari in Tareekh and in mu'allaq form in his Sahih.

Reported Jurhad, "The Messenger of Allah passed by me when the cloak I was wearing did not cover my thigh. He said, 'Cover your thigh, for it (is part of the) 'aurah." This is related by Ahmad, Abu Dawud and at-Tirmidhi, who called it hassan, and by al-Bukhari in mu'allaq form in the Sahih.

Envelope (completely cover) oneself in Clothing and Keep It Clean
The Noble Qur'an 74:1-4
1. O you (Muhammad SAW) enveloped (in garments)!
2. Arise and warn!
3. And your Lord (Allâh) magnify!
4. And your garments purify!

Fiqh 1.109b

Concerning bodily purity, Anas related that the Prophet upon whom be peace, said, "Stay clean of urine, as the majority of punishment in the grave is due to it." This is related by ad-Daraqutni, who said it is hassan.

Reported 'Ali, I used to have a great deal of prostatic fluid flowing, so I asked a man to ask the Prophet about it (as I was shy to ask him, due to my relationship with him through his daughter). He asked him and the Prophet, upon whom be peace, said, "Make ablution and wash your penis." (Related by al-Bukhari and others.)

'Aishah also related that the Messenger of Allah said to women with a prolonged flow of blood, "Wash the blood from yourself and pray . "

Concerning purity of clothing, we have the following: Says Allah, "And purify your raiment" (al-Muddathir 4). Jabir ibn Sumrah reported that he heard a man ask the Prophet, "May I pray in the same clothes that I had on during intercourse with my wife?" He said, "Yes, but if you see some stains on it, you must wash it." This hadith is related by Ahmad and Ibn Majah. Its narrators are trustworthy. Reported Mu'awiyyah, "I asked Umm Habibah, 'Did the Prophet pray in the same clothes that he wore when he had intercourse?' She said, 'Yes, if there were no stains on it."'(Related by Ahmad, Abu Dawud, an-Nasa'i and Ibn Majah.) Abu Sa'eed reported that the Prophet removed his shoes and the people behind him did likewise. When he finished the prayer, he asked, "Why did you remove your shoes?" They said, "We saw you remove yours." He said, "Gabriel came to me and informed me that there was some filth on them. Therefore, when one of you comes to the mosque, he should turn his shoes over and examine them. If one finds any dirt on them, he should rub them against the ground and pray with them on." The hadith is related by Ahmad, Abu Dawud, al-Hakim, Ibn Hibban and Ibn Khuzaimah. The latter grades it as sahih.

This hadith shows that if one enters the mosque (with his shoes on) and is unaware of some impurity or has forgotten it, and he suddenly remembers it during the prayer, he must try to remove it and proceed with the prayer. He does not have to repeat it later on.

Hadith - Abu Dawood 3150, Narrated Ubadah ibn as-Samit
The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: The best shroud is a lower garment and one which covers the whole body, and the best sacrifice is a horned ram.

Clothing must not be Tight. Covering entire body is preferred over covering just lower half.
Hadith - Sahih Bukhari 1.357, Narrated Said bin Al Harith

I asked Jabir bin 'Abdullah about praying in a single garment. He said, "I traveled with the Prophet during some of his journeys, and I came to him at night for some purpose and I found him praying. At that time, I was wearing a single garment with which I covered my shoulders and prayed by his side. When he finished the prayer, he asked, 'O Jabir! What has brought you here?' I told him what I wanted. When I finished, he asked, 'O Jabir! What is this garment which I have seen and with which you covered your shoulders?' I replied, 'It is a (tight) garment.' He said, 'If the garment is large enough, wrap it round the body (covering the shoulders) and if it is tight (too short) then use it as an Izar (tie it around your waist only.)' "

Silk Garments
Hadith - Sahih Al-Bukhari 7.693, Narrated Uqba bin Amir
A silken Farruj was presented to Allah's Apostle and he put it on and offered the prayer in it. When he finished the prayer, he took it off violently as if he disliked it and said, "This (garment) does not befit those who fear Allah!"

Saffron (Yellow, Red/Yellow) Colored Garments
Hadith - Sunan of Abu Dawood #4037, Narrated Imran ibn Husayn
The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: I do not ride on purple, or wear a garment dyed with saffron*, or wear shirt hemmed with silk.
Hadith - Sunan of Abu Dawood #4210, Narrated Abdullah ibn Mas'ud
The Prophet of Allah (peace be upon him) disliked ten things: 1. Yellow colouring...

Hadith - Sunan of Abu Dawood #4055, Narrated Abdullah ibn Amr ibn al-'As
We came down with the Apostle of Allah (peace be upon him) from a turning of a valley. He turned his attention to me and I was wearing a garment dyed with a reddish yellow dye. He asked: What is this garment over you? I recognised what he disliked. I then came to my family who were burning their oven. I threw it (the garment) in it and came to him the next day. He asked: Abdullah, what have you done with the garment? I informed him about it. He said: Why did you not give it to one of your family to wear, for there is no harm in it for women.

Patterns/Marks In the Clothing: Simple Clothing Preferred
Hadith - Sunan of Abu Dawood, #4041, Narrated Aisha, Ummul Mu'minin, r.a.
The Apostle of Allah (peace be upon him) once prayed wearing a garment having marks. He looked at its marks. When he saluted, he said: Take this garment of mine to AbuJahm, for it turned my attention just now in my prayer, and bring a simple garment without marks.

Hadith - Muwatta 3.72 - Looking in the Prayer at What Distracts You From It
Yahya related to me from Malik from AIqama ibn Abi AIqama from his mother that A'isha, the wife of the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "Abu Jahm ibn Hudhayfa gave the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, a fine striped garment from Syria and he did the prayer in it. When he had finished he said, 'Give this garment back to Abu Jahm. I lookedat its stripes in the prayer and they almost distracted me.' "

Sadaqa Not Accepted with Unlawful Clothing

Hadith - Muslim
Then [the Messenger saaws] mentioned a man who had traveled for a long time. Unkempt and covered in dust, he raised his hands to the heavens (and cried): 'O my Lord! O my Lord!' His food was unlawful, his drink was unlawful, his clothing was unlawful, and what he had provided to sustain himself with was also unlawful. How could his invocation be accepted?"

Gratitude to Allah for the Protection of Clothing
The Noble Qur'an An-Nahl 16:81
And Allâh has made for you out of that which He has created shades, and has made for you places of refuge in the mountains, and has made for you garments to protect you from the heat (and cold), and coats of mail to protect you from your (mutual) violence. Thus does He perfect His Grace unto you, that you may submit yourselves to His Will (in Islâm).

Wearing White
Hadith - Al-Tirmidhi 4623, Narrated 'Aisha, r.a.
Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) was questioned about Waraqah and Khadijah said to him, "He believed in you, but died before you appeared as a prophet." Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) then said, "I was shown him in a dream, wearing white clothes, and if he had been one of the inhabitants of Hell he would have been wearing different clothing." [Ahmad and Tirmidhi transmitted it]

Hadith - Sahih Al-Bukhari 7.717, Narrated Abu Dharr, r.a.
I came to the Prophet while he was wearing white clothes and sleeping....

Wearing Green
Hadith - Sahih Al-Bukhari 7.705, Narrated 'Aisha, r.a.
When Allah's Apostle died, he was covered with a Hibra Burd (green square decorated garment).

Hadith - Sunan of Abu Dawood, Narrated Abu Rimthah, r.a.
I went with my father to the Prophet (peace be upon him) and saw two green garments over him.

Wearing Red
It is permissible to wear red clothes if the red is combined with another colour; it is not permissible to wear plain red, because the Prophet (saaws) forbade doing so.

The hadith which forbid wearing plain red
From al-Baraa’ ibn ‘Aazib (may Allah be pleased with him): “The Prophet (saaws) forbade us to use soft red mattresses and qasiy – garments with woven stripes of silk.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5390)

From Ibn ‘Abbaas, who said: “I was forbidden (to wear) red garments and gold rings, and to recite Qur’aan in rukoo’.” (Narrated by al-Nasaa’i, no. 5171. Imam Albaani said: its isnaad is sahih. Saheeh Sunan al-Nasaa’i, 1068).

From ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Amr ibn al-Aas (may Allaah be pleased with them both), who said: “A man passed by the Prophet SAWS wearing two red garments and greeted him with salaam, but he SAWS did not return the greeting.” (Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, no. 2731; Abu Dawood, no. 3574. Al-Tirmidhi said: this hadeeth is hasan ghareeb with this isnaad). According to the scholars, the meaning of this hadith is that the Prophet SAWS disliked the wearing of garments dyed with safflower (the red dyestuff obtained from safflowers), but he had no objection to garments dyed with clay or other substances, so long as it was not dyed with safflower. This hadeeth was classed as da’eef by al-Albaani (Da’eef Sunan Abi Dawood, 403; Da’eef Sunan al-Tirmidhi, 334. He said: its isnaad is da’eef).

Hadith which may be understood to mean that it is permissible to wear red if it is mixed with another colour

From Hilaal ibn ‘Aamir from his father, who said: “I saw the Messenger of Allaah SAWS in Mina, giving a khutbah sitting on his mule, wearing a red cloak, and ‘Ali was in front of him, repeating what he said (in a loud voice, so that the people could hear).” (Narrated by Abu Dawood, no. 3551; classed as sahih by al-Albaani – Sahih Sunan Abi Dawood, 767).

The hadeeth of al-Baraa’ ibn ‘Aazib (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: “The Messenger of Allah SAWS was of average build. I saw him in a red hullah, and I never saw anyone more handsome than him.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, no. 5400; Muslim, 4308).

From al-Baraa’, who said: “I never saw anyone who has hair wearing a red hullah and looking more handsome than the Messenger of Allah SAWS (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him). He had hair down to his shoulders, he was broad-shouldered and was neither short nor tall.” (Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, no. 1646. He said: in this chapter there is a report from Jaabir ibn Samurah and Abu Rimthah and Abu Juhayfah. This hadeeth is hasan saheeh…)

From al-Baraa’ who said: “The Messenger of Allaah SAWS had hair down to his earlobes. I saw him wearing a red hullah, and I have never seen anyone more handsome than him.” (Narrated by Abu Dawood, no. 4072; Ibn Maajah, no. 3599. Classed as sahih by Albaani – Saheeh Sunan Abi dawood, 768).

Al-Bayhaqi narrated in al-Sunan: “[The Prophet] SAWS used to wear a red cloak on Eid.”

What is meant by a red hullah is a suit of two Yemeni garments which are woven with red and black stripes, or red and green stripes. It is described as red because of the red stripes in it.

This is the view of a number of scholars, such as al-Haafiz Ibn Hajar (Fath al-Baari Sharh ‘ala Sahih al-Bukhari, no. 5400) and Ibn al-Qayyim (Zaad al-Ma’aad, 1-137). And Allah knows best

Wear an 'Izar
Hadith - Bukhari 7.695 (Also 7.744) Narrated Ibn Abbas, r.a.
The Prophet (saaws) said, "Whoever cannot get an Izar, can wear trousers, and whoever cannot wear sandals can wear Khuffs."

Garment Should Not Hang Past Ankles
Hadith - Al-Muwatta 48.12, Similar narration in Abu Dawood #4082
Yahya related to me from Malik from al Ala ibn Abd ar-Rahman that his father said, "I asked Abu Said al-Khudri about the lower garment. He said that he would inform me with knowledge and that he had heard the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, say, 'The lower garment of the mumin should reach to the middle of his calves. There is no harm in what is between that and the ankles. What is lower than that is in the Fire. What is lower than that is in the Fire. On the Day of Rising, Allah will not look at a person who trails his lower garment in arrogance.' "

Hadith - Sahih Al-Bukhari 7.678, Narrated Abu Huraira, r.a.
The Prophet (saaws) said, "The part of an Izar which hangs below the ankles is in the Fire."

Hadith - Sunan of Abu Dawood, Narrated AbuJurayy Jabir ibn Salim al-Hujaymi
The Prophet saaws said, "Have your lower garment halfway down your shin; if you cannot do it, have it up to the ankles. Beware of trailing the lower garment, for it is conceit and Allah does not like conceit."

Folding up the hem because your garment is too long, is forbidden. Pull the trousers upwards, instead. (hint: hard to do if your pants are too tight to start with!)

Hadith - Sahih Muslim #5200, Narrated Abdullah ibn Umar, r.a.

I happened to pass before Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) with my lower garment trailing (upon the ground). He said: Abdullah, tug up your lower garment. I tugged it up, and he again said: Tug it still further, and I tugged it still further and I went on tugging it afterward, whereupon some of the people said: To what extent? Thereupon he said: To the middle of the shanks*.
*The part of the leg between the knee and ankle.

Said Ibn 'Abbas, "The Prophet ordered us to prostrate on seven bodily parts and not to fold back the hair or clothing: the forehead, the hands, the knees and the feet." In another wording, the Prophet said, "I have been ordered to prostrate on seven bodily parts: the forehead, and he pointed to his nose, the hands, the knees and the ends of the feet." (Related by al-Bukhari and Muslim.) In another narration, he said, "I have been ordered to prostrate on seven bodily parts and not to fold back the hair or clothing: the forehead, the nose, the hands, the knees and the feet." (Related by Muslim and an-Nasa'i.)

Be Known as a Muslim
The Noble Qur'an 7:3
[Say (O Muhammad SAW) to these idolaters (pagan Arabs) of your folk:] Follow what has been sent down unto you from your Lord (the Qur'ân and Prophet Muhammad's Sunnah), and follow not any Auliyâ' (protectors and helpers, etc. who order you to associate partners in worship with Allâh), besides Him (Allâh). Little do you remember!

Narration - al-Hakim and Tirmidhi (hasan)
"Allah likes to see the mark of His benevolence on His servant."

Wearing the izar (loin-wrap), thawb (long cloth), `imama (turban), jubba (coat or mantle), sirwal (baggy pants), etc. is of the Prophet's (SAAWS) Sunnah of dress. There is no such thing as an unimportant or unnecessary Sunnah.

Hadith - Tirmidhi (hasan), Book of knowledge; al-Baghawi, Sharh al-sunna 1:233.
Whoever gives life to one of my Sunnahs which was eliminated after my time will receive the reward of all those who practice it without their reward being diminished...

Hadith - Tirmidhi (hasan gharib), Book of knowledge.
Whoever gives life to one of my Sunnahs, he loves me: and whoever loves me is with me.

And Abu Hurayra (r.a.) narrates the following hadith in Muslim, Nasa'i, Malik, and Ahmad:

The Prophet came to the graveyard and said: "Peace be upon you, O abode of a people of believers! We shall certainly join you, if Allah will. How I long to see my brothers!" They said: "O Messenger of Allah, are we not your brothers?" He replied: "You are my Companions! As for my brothers, they are those who have not yet appeared." They said: "How will you recognize those of your Community who had not yet appeared (in your time), O Messenger of Allah?" He replied: "Suppose a man had horses with shiny white marks on their foreheads and legs: would he not recognize them among other horses which are all black?" They said: "Yes, O Messenger of Allah!" He continued: "Verily, they (my brothers) shall be coming with shiny bright foreheads and limbs due to their ablutions, and I shall precede them to my Pond."
Dressing according to the sunnah is an act of ibadah that brings with it a reward, insha'Allah.

The Companions were quick to imitate every aspect of the Prophet's example of dress:

Hadith - Bukhari, Volume 9, Book 92, Number 401. Narrated Ibn 'Umar

The Prophet saaws wore a gold ring and then the people followed him and wore gold rings too. Then the Prophet said, "I had this golden ring made for myself." He then threw it away and said, "I shall never put it on." Thereupon the people also threw their rings away.
The very least that has been said by the scholars of the Shari`a in the matter is that following the Prophet in matters of dress or everyday matters such as eating, walking, and sleeping is a matter of excellence (ihsan) and perfection (kamal) and is desirable (mustahabb) and part of one's good manners (adab) in the religion. Every desirable practice performed on the basis of such intention means a higher degree in paradise which the person who neglects it may not attain to, and Allah knows best.

Wearing a Turban
The Prophet said: "Pray as you see me pray" . As Bukhari showed in the hadith he cited in the chapter entitled "Wearing turbans," the Prophet wore it and sometimes he wiped on top of it during ablution in order not to have to remove it. [Bukhari, Book of Ablution, hadith of Ja`far ibn `Amr's father.]

He wore it in war and in the khutba, and he would receive it as a gift as established by the following three hadiths:

Jabir said: "The Prophet entered Mecca on the Day of victory wearing a black turban and he loosened its two ends between his shoulders." [Muslim and Abu Dawud. The first part is also in Tirmidhi (hasan), Ibn Majah, and Nasa'i.]

Ja`far ibn `Amr narrates from his father: "I saw the Prophet on the pulpit wearing a black turban with the extremity loosened between his shoulder-blades." [Muslim, Tirmidhi, Abu Dawud, Nasa'i, and Ibn Majah.]

Abu Sa`id al-Khudri reported that when the Prophet got a new piece of garment, he would mention it, whether a turban or a shirt or a cloak, and then would say: "O Allah, all praise and thanks be to You. You have given me this garment. I seek from You its good and the good that is made of it and I seek Your refuge against its evil and the evil that it is made of." {Allahumma, laka al-hamd, anta kasawtanih, as'aluka khayrahu wa khayra ma suni`a lahu, wa a`udhu bika min sharrihi wa sharri ma ma suni`a lah.} [Abu Dawud and Tirmidhi]

Ibn Abi al-Ahwas said: I came in shabby clothes to see the Prophet and he said: "Do you have money?" I said yes. He said: "From where does your money come?" I said: "Allah has given me camels and sheep and horses and slaves." He said: "Then if Allah gave you money and possessions, he likes for you to show it." [Narrated with a sound chain by Abu Dawud in the Book of Garments and al-Nasa'i in the Book of Ornaments. Ahmad narrates something similar in his Musnad.]

Abu al-Darda' said that the Prophet said: "You are coming to your brethren, therefore mend your mounts and mend your garments until you stand out among the people (due to your excellence) like a mole on the face. Verily, Allah does not like obscene speech nor obscene behavior." [Narrated with a sound chain by Abu Dawud in the Book of Garments and Ahmad in his Musnad.]

al-Khatib al-Baghdadi narrates in his Tarikh Baghdad that one time Abu Hanifa asked a man who was shabbily dressed to stay behind after the others had left from his circle of study. Then he told him: "Lift up the prayer-rug and take the money that is there and buy yourself some nice clothes." The man told him he was wealthy and had no need of the money. Abu Hanifa said: "Has it not reached you that the Prophet said: Allah likes to see the mark of His benevolence on His servant?" [al-Khatib, Tarikh Baghdad 13:263]

Bukhari also narrates in the book of Salat that Hasan al-Basri said that in the time of the Prophet, because of scorching heat, "People used to prostrate on their turban-cloth (`imama) and turban-cap (qalansuwa) with their hands in their sleeves," and that Anas Ibn Malik said:

We used to pray with the Prophet and some of us used to place the ends of their clothes at the place of prostration because of scorching heat.
They were wearing head-covers and long sleeves in scorching heat.

The following is a saying of `Umar ibn al-Khattab narrated by Malik in the Book of Friday Prayer in his Muwatta:
"I love to see the reciter of the Qur'an [i.e. the leader of the Friday prayer] wearing white."

The Prophet said on the authority of Ibn `Umar: "Whoso resembles a people in appearance, he is one of them." [Narrated by Abu Dawud (Libas) and Ahmad (2:50, 2:92) with a chain which has some weakness according to Sakhawi in al- Maqasid al-hasana, however he states that its authenticity is verified by other narrations. Also narrated by Ibn Abi Shayba in his Musannaf (5:313), Ibn Hajar in Fath al-Bari 10:274 [Dar al-Fikr ed.], and Ibn Kathir in his Tafsir (8:53). `Iraqi said its chain is sound (sahih). al-Bazzar also relates it through Hudhayfa and Abu Hurayra, Abu Nu`aym through Anas, and al-Quda`i relates it through Tawus, a chain which Ibn Hibban declared sahih. Ibn Taymiyya in his Iqtida' al-siratal- mustaqim (p. 82) calls Abu Dawud's and Ahmad's chain "a good chain."]

Note that shaving the beard is considered effeminacy and is forbidden (haram) and recognized to be haram by the Four Imams.

Ibn Hibban's version of `Umar's saying is mentioned by Ibn Taymiyya who interprets it as an explicit prohibition for Muslims in non-Muslim countries against wearing unislamic clothing:

This is a prohibition on the part of `Umar directed at Muslims against all that belongs to the manner of dress of non-Muslims (mushrikun). [Ibn Taymiyya, Iqtida' as-sirat al-mustaqim (1907 ed.) p. 60]

Imam Nawawi in his Fatawa was asked: "Is there harm for one's religion and his salat if he dresses other than in the fashion of Muslims?" He answered: "It is forbidden to resemble the disbelievers in appearance, whether in clothing or otherwise, because of the sound and well-known hadiths concerning this; and wearing such clothing makes one's prayer incomplete tanqusu bihi al-salat."

Bayhaqi also cited the hadith of al-`Abbas al-Duri from Sa`id ibn `Amir al-Dub`i from Sa`id ibn Abi `Azuba from Ayyub from Nafi` who said:

Ibn `Umar saw me pray in a single garment and he said: "Did I not give you clothes?" I said yes. He continued: "And if I sent you on an errand would you go out like this?" I said no. He said: "Then Allah is worthier of your self-adornment."
It is narrated by Tahawi in Sharh ma`ani al-athar (1:221), Tabarani, Bayhaqi in his Sunan al-kubra (2:236), and Haythami said in Majma` al-zawa'id (2:51): "Its chain is fair (hasan)." Albani included it in al-Silsila al-sahiha (#1369).

Bayhaqi also cited the hadith of Yusuf ibn Ya`qub al-Qadi from Sulayman ibn Harb from Hammad ibn Zayd from Ayyub from Nafi`:

`Umar entered upon me one day as I was praying in a single garment and he said: "Don't you have two garments in your possession?" I said yes. He said: "In your opinion, if I sent you to one of the people of Madina on an errand, would you go in a single garment?" I said no. He said: "Then is Allah worthier of our self-beautification or people?"

umm hussain

i agree with you
but what you said dont you think its a little bit tough for a converted muslim?

you can also ask a 1000 of normal muslim are they ready to do what you said?

Nothing is too tough if you put your mind to it. I am a revert as well and there are so many things I had to either do or leave behind for Allahs sake and wearing hijab was one of them.

I think accepting Islam is probably the toughest, in some cases the family turns against you for what you choose to believe, Islam is also based on action. After saying shahada the next thing is to implement your actions accordingly however difficult it might be. /no one ever said it was going to be easy. Allah will test us with, death, sickness, wealth, trials, tribulations and standing firm upon Quran and Sunnah in trying times is just one of those tests. Allah also says will you just say I believe and be left alone without being tested, no you surely will have your fair share of tests and these tests are to separate the believers from the disbelievers.

Ahmed_2000

Servant of Allah
Nothing is too tough if you put your mind to it. I am a revert as well and there are so many things I had to either do or leave behind for Allahs sake and wearing hijab was one of them.

I think accepting Islam is probably the toughest, in some cases the family turns against you for what you choose to believe, Islam is also based on action. After saying shahada the next thing is to implement your actions accordingly however difficult it might be. /no one ever said it was going to be easy. Allah will test us with, death, sickness, wealth, trials, tribulations and standing firm upon Quran and Sunnah in trying times is just one of those tests. Allah also says will you just say I believe and be left alone without being tested, no you surely will have your fair share of tests and these tests are to separate the believers from the disbelievers.

Salaam Allaikum

Sister your are rite. but not everyone is same as you are, mashaalah you have more strong imaaan . but for some people it takes time to learn and strenghten thier Imaan.

Salaam Allaikum