HILARIOUS HIJABS

Umm Aysha

*Strive for Jannah*
It has been my personal observation that some Muslim girls and women do not realise the significance of hijab. Hijab is Arabic for protection and cover. Some people put a lot of effort into their hijab, yet it serves no purpose. I am referring to the pointless hijab that some girls wear.

The first pointless hijab is referred to as the headband hijab. It is a band of fabric approximately 4 inches wide. It covers the back of the head and allows all the hair to be exposed. It doesn't serve much in terms of modesty, but at least it comes in handy in case of an unexpected tennis match!

The second pointless hijab is the dupatta, also known as the Saran wrap hijab. It covers all the hair, but it is totally transparent. Again it doesn't serve much in terms of modesty, but it keeps the hair nice and fresh!

The third type of hijab is known as the Micky Mouse Hijab. It is when a girl wears a black scarf and tucks it behind her ear, so that her ears stick out!

We now move on to my favourites - the yo-yo hijabs:
The first yo-yo hijab is the scarf that keeps falling down and needs to be constantly pulled back up.... up, down, up, down, just like a yo-yo!

The second yo-yo hijab is also referred to as the convertibe hijab. This type of hijab is predominant at any type of social event, i.e. an Aqeeqah, Bismillah party, Ameen party, wedding, etc. This is when an Imam or Qari comes up to the microphone and starts to recite Qur'an. At this point, all the convertible hijabs come up... until he says "SadaqAllahu Atheem." I'm not sure, but apparently in some cultures that translates to "OK sisters, you may take off your scarves."

I'm sure this may seem odd, but what's even funnier is when people do not anticipate the recitation of Qur'an at a social event, and are forced to be creative and use accessories such as a purse to cover one's hair. I was surprized to see a woman hold her purse over her head as "hijab"... as if the multitudes of men surrounding her are not a good enough reason to wear hijab, but some guy reciting du'a compels her to hold a purse over her head. Her friends were more creative... one friend used her dinner napkin. I was also laughing when i saw the communal hijab- two or more girls dropped under one dinner napkin during the recitation of Qur'an. Her other friend was still more creative. She used her coffee saucer on the back of her head. I wasn't sure of it was hijab or Yamaka. I didn't know if she was a Muslim or a Jew. I felt like going up to her and saying "Shalom alaikum, sister."

And, people should remember that hijab is not just a protection from guys, but from a girls' nafs (ego) as well. It should prevent girls from having to spend hours in front of the mirror doing her hair. But, unfortunately, you see girls in front of the mirror for hours doing their hijab as they would do their hair, with all sorts of elaborate braids and the like. I wanted to go up to a sister and say "Is your hijab naturally curly?" I also felt compelled to go up to another girl and say "Pardon me, but is your hijab naturally that colour, or did you dye it"?

Well the point is that some people make an effort to wear hijab, but it is futile, because it is not fulfilling its purpose. It's like using an umbrella with holes in it. Hijab is used for protection from guys as well as from the girl herself, and should not be used as an accessory or for beautifying one's self.

Any way, that's it. If any one disagrees with me or is offended, then you are disagreeing with the teachings of Allah Subhaanuhu wa Ta'ala.

The author of this article "Observations on Hijab" is unknown.
It is however, thought to be written by a brother.
Funny as it is, there are a number of lessons to be learnt...

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
:salam2:

thanks for this... I would like to add,

the Most Pointless hijab, is where someone just wears it without caring about Islam or practising Islam properly on correct beliefs..... For example, if they make dont pray or if they associate partners with Allah or innovate in the religion etc. Hijab is Fardh, and men have a hijab too, which is to dress modestly and lower their gaze from women who are not mahram (who is a mahram in Islam?).

This is just a general message, its not a reply to you personally sister Muslima80. :) . I understand the post you made its not written by you and that it is meant to be light hearted cynicism.

One also, must realise that many brothers and sisters DO try their best. And that we should try not to be judgemental of anyone we see outside.

If someone is wearing the hijab incorrect, its most probably because they have not been taught otherwise. So as Muslims, we must be kind and advise them with uptmost humility. This is because guidance is from Allah swt, and not from anyone else. Anyone of us could have been in their situation. So we advise, and we utilise the Quran and the Sunnah and the patience shown by Allah's beloved Messenger, Muhammad :saw:.

Even many Non-Muslims are quite sincere in finding out about the truth, and so we should treat them with kindness too, and explain to them where they may err in their beliefs.

All our actions are judged based on our intentions. And Allah (swt) knows what is in our hearts.

the Messenger of Allah, :saw:, said:
"Actions are (judged) by motives (niyyah), so each man will have what he intended. Thus, he whose migration (hijrah) was to Allah and His Messenger, his migration is to Allah and His Messenger; but he whose migration was for some worldly thing he might gain, or for a wife he might marry, his migration is to that for which he migrated."

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][Al-Bukhari & Muslim][/FONT]​

Karima

Asalmualikum,

This is a nice thread to discuss. In my experiences with the Catholic Sisters in the Convent, I never saw them without their ('hijab') 'habit' on. They remained covered at all times.

There were never any fashion of 'dress' in their Order. They wore the same thing....might have 3 or more habits of that order... either black, grey, and some white.....

When some of the Orders of Sisters had moderation changes, they lifted off their 'hijabs', showing their short hair....and changed to clothes of solid colors in suit styles. I resent this in the fact that they were covered all the time, and now, they have modified to society...

The hijabs of the Muslims represent much of what the Catholic Sisters wore this for...in their own beliefs.

When I see a muslima wearing a hijab and jilbab, etc, this is a good reflection of that person in her deem. I have been to various celebrations with the muslimas and saw some beautiful hijabs and outfits representing their country...
...In a way, it is too bad that this is not seen in everyday life....for example, at the wallmart, or grocery.....which can show non-muslims how beautiful a muslima can be while still being covered. I realize the purpose of wearing the hijab....to avoid drawing attention. In my state, a hijab does draw attention, plain as it can be....where Islam is a minority here.

I wrote this post not for debate of what is right from wrong. It is to share what is really important...and in this day and age, the muslims are practicing what Allah has told us to do. Keep one's head covered, within the limits of what is permitted to do.

Sallam,
Kristina

Ummzaina

Assalaam alaikum
I love it that someone is talking about this, whoever wrote may have done it in jest, but it really is a very serious matter.
I was born and brought up in a muslim country as a muslim, but the culture around our society used to be that the older generation normally wears hijab, some young too if and when they go for Hajj and after it( some even wear hijab during Hajj but take it off right after they return).Imagine this was normal as I grew up.
Now around my 20's after my daughter was born I started to realise what life is all about and realised the need for hijab.Many young sisters around me realised the same thing,alhamdlillah now I see many niqabs too in our society (which was non existent a while back).
The sad part is that most girls wear the hijab as a fashion accessory, Allah knows what is in their hearts, but most hijabs are accessorised with huge brooches and the tops and pants they wear are tight enough to show off the best and the worst of their body shapes.Some wear hijabs and go on date with their boyfriends and others start wearing hijab to hide the shameless evidences of their unlawful activities with men.
Although I too wear pants and long tops I feel ashamed to see my sisters dressed in revealing outfits.Another thing is that many families pressure young girls not to wear too dull clothes as hijabs saying it makes us look older than our age or why do you not dress properly or some say that it is the purity of the heart and not what we wear.
I would like to wear a bit different clothes from what I wear now (Long loose pants, long loose tops, socks and loose non transparent but coloured hijabs), but as my family keeps interfering and I would rather not fight and also because I am covered well and keep away from non mahrem men and try and observe other Islamic duties well, I am praying that my family will get wiser (even though they are upto date with the Pillars of Islam, hijab issues are a bit harder) and then maybe I could take the step to wearing Jelbabs (Insha Allah).
It is a very sad situation that muslim socities are accepting and blindly following people who do not help one another to be better or even best muslimas they can be.
Many families I know have even rifted apart on hijab or niqab issues as some parents do not like to see their children wear niqab and not go to parties where there are non mahrems,not celebrate birthdays and other such issues.Which is why I almost cried at the courage of the Netherland sisters who wore the hijab and niqab in a society where most are non muslims.:hijabi:

May Allah guide our families to light on such issues!!!Ameen

Wa alaikum salaam