Hoor Al 3ayn for men, but what about women?

sosusume

Asalamu 3alaikum,

Firstly, I want to state that I’m in no way, shape, or form versed on this topic or any Islamic topic, nor am I at the level I wish to be at...I’m learning about my faith, and implementing Allah’s, the Almighty, the Sustainer, the Ever Forgiver’s rules to the best of my abilities.

I read a thread here that has since closed, and thought a great deal about it. Some of the responses about what women get in Janna, since men get Hoor Al 3ayn, were satisfactory and to the point, while others were too general and somewhat dismissive. I, too, agree that getting to Janna should be our main goal, striving to please Allah so He may have mercy on us, Insha’Allah, but as mere humans, women, we have the right to ask as long as we do not question.

I’d like to take a jab at responding, and if my reply is in error, I ask Allah’s forgiveness.

Muslim men are given the right to have more than one wife, and every Muslim woman knows this and recognizes it; she may not like it, but she has to accept the Will of Allah. Since this is allowed, it should come as no surprise that this will not only be allowed, but be the norm in Janna. Allah knows what He has created, and therefore, men are by nature polygamous and might remain as such in the afterlife. But do keep in mind that the man is allowed two human wives only, and I imagine with emotional attachment to both, but nothing is stated in the Noble Quran about a man's emotional attachment to Hoor Al 3ayn.

Now, about women, it seems that one is rather simplifying our gender when it is said that women are not capable of loving more than one man. She devotes her life to her her family, to only sharing herself with her husband, but how many people have opened the heart of a women to see if she in fact only loves her husband. A man does not have to openly declare his love for two or more women, we see it regularly in our Umma. But women will never declare it and as thus, it is assumed to be true.

How about the woman who was denied the man she loves because he wasn’t of the same class as her family and was ultimately forced into a marriage she did not want. Sure, she may grow to love her husband for being good to her, for loving and providing for their children, but she may still care deeply for the man of her yesteryears. This does not make her a bad person.

How many times have we, unfortunately, heard about Muslim men cheating on their wives, when Allah, the All Knowing, gave them a way out of this sin? Now, how many times have we heard about the wives of these men taking them back. A whole lot. Suppose it was the other way around; how many men take back their cheating wives? I boldly say not many. It is in the nature of men to Gharoo, and to say jealous doesn’t seem accurate. Perhaps possessive with an insurmountable need to protect their women would be more appropriate; a wonderful trait indeed.

Every Muslim, male or female, knows, accepts, lives and breaths the fairness of Allah. The All Mighty would never treat his creations unjustly. He has told us He is the most Just, and He clearly, without a doubt, told us that the inhabitants of Janna will get whatever their inner-selves desire. Allah, the Merciful, did not set limitations.

How many wives have been sneered at because their husbands caught sight of a man looking at their treasured possessions. I’m willing to bet these same women didn’t even notice, but their husbands certainly did and blamed them for it. I, for one, was unfairly blamed for such things. Having said that, I’d like a married woman who questions what she gets in Janna to imagine for a minute what her husband would think if he knew; had Allah clearly stated what a woman would get in Janna the way He did with Hoor Al 3ayn for men. Just him, man, believing for a moment that his wife may be with another man might make him combust, go utterly mad. Perhaps even insane with the mere notion. And perhaps this is why the All-Wise Allah did not make mention of that in the Holy Quran; to keep men sane. Perhaps a man would become so filled with rage that his wife will be with another man in Janna that he may abuse her, think her less moral or modest. Perhaps Allah didn't tell us to keep us from using this against our husbands...'I will have someone better than you in Janna.' How horrible it would be for a woman to say that. There is great wisdom in concealing this, and we should see it for what is and appreciate that Allah is protecting us, not being unfair to us.

I’d like to offer the idea that we, too, MAY get our own version of Hoor Al 3ayen, but indirectly. Perhaps our gifts will only be visible to us.

Salam

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
Wa alaikum assalam wa rahmatullah,

Interesting perspective.

At this time, I'd just like to comment on your statement about Muslim men having up to two wives.

They're allowed to have up to four, not two.

sosusume

Salam sister, I heard a Hadith that in Janna a man will have two human wives not the four he is allowed in this life.

Wa Salam.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
Wa alaikum Salam,

Oh I have no idea about that. I thought you were talking about life in the dunya.

justice_644

Question 1:According to the Qur’an when a man enters paradise, he will get hoor, i.e. beautiful maidens. What will a woman have when she enters paradise?
1. Hoor mentioned in the Qur’an
The word hoor occurs in the Qur’an in no less than four different places:
(1) In Surah Dukhan chapter 44, verse 54
"Moreover, We shall join them to companions With beautiful, big and lustrous eyes."
[Al-Qur’an 44:54]
(2) In Surah Al-Tur chapter 52 verse 20
"...And We shall join them to companions, with beautiful, big and lustrous eyes."
[Al-Qur’an 52:20]
(3) In Surah Rahman chapter 55 verse 72
"Companions restrained (as to their glances), in goodly pavilions."
[Al-Qur’an 55:72]
(4) In Surah Al-Waqiah chapter 56 verse 22
"And (there will be) companions with beautiful, big and lustrous eyes."
[Al-Qur’an 56:22]
2. Hoor Translated as Beautiful Maidens
Many translators of the Qur’an have translated the word hoor as ‘beautiful maidens’ especially in the Urdu translations. If hoor means‘beautiful maidens’ or girls, then they are meant only for the men. Hence, what will the women get if they enter Paradise?
3. Meaning of Hoor
The word hoor is actually the plural of ahwar (applicable to man) and of haura (applicable to woman) and signifies a person having eyes characterized by hauar a special quality bestowed upon a good soul, male or female in paradise and it denotes the intense whiteness of the white part of the spiritual eye.
The Qur’an describes in several other verses that in paradise you will have azwaj which mean a pair or spouse or companion which means you will have spouses or companions pure and holy (mutaharratun means pure, holy).
"But give glad tidings to those who believe and work righteousness, that their portion is gardens, beneath which rivers flow. Every time they are fed with fruits therefrom, they say: "Why, this is what we were fed with before", for they are given things in similitude; and they have therein companions pure (and holy); and they abide therein (forever)".
[Al-Qur’an 2:25]
"But those who believe and do deeds of righteousness, We shall soon admit to Gardens, with rivers flowing beneath – their eternal home; therein shall they have companions pure and holy: we shall admit them to shades, cool and ever deepening". [Al-Qur’an 4:57]
Therefore the word hoor has no specific gender. Mohammad Asad has translated the word hoor as spouse and Abdullah Yusuf Ali as companion. Therefore according to some scholars a man in paradise will have a hoor that is a beautiful maiden with beautiful big and lustrous eyes and a woman in paradise will get a man with beautiful big and lustrous eyes.
4. Women will get something exceptional in Paradise
Many scholars say that in context, the word hoor used in the Qur’an refers only to ladies since gents are addressed. A reply that would be accepted by all types of people would rather be the answer given in the Hadith when a similar question was posed that if a man gets a hoor, a beautiful Maiden in Paradise, then what will the women get? The reply was that the women will get that which the heart has not desired for, the ear hasn’t heard off and the eye hasn’t seen, indicating that even the women will get something exceptional in Paradise.
In regards to hoors, this is only for the male who desires more or the female who desires more. Some males do not desire more then their wife because their wife is their love, their honor, their happiness. Why would they want more? it is only a sign from Allah to the males and females on Earth that you can have whatever you desire in the hereafter. In the hereafter, you will have no anger, no thirst, no jealousy, no hatred. These things will be taken away ..It will be pure happiness and contentment.You dont' seem to realise the high status of women in Islam, women in nature are not as sexual (have as much sexual desire as men which is proven statistically)..And thus if Allah mentioned to the women that you will get "70 males in heaven if you died a shaheed" then it would not motivate them in the battlefield, infact may put them off, it would certainly motivate the males as this is part of their nature. Most of the scholars say that "you will get over 74virigins in heaven" indicates that the man will get whatver he wants, not that he will most certainly get that because not all men want 74 virgins.. Though you may think, why would allah say that to motivate them? Allah loves all of his creation and knows what motivates them. By the way, just to inform you. IF the man asks for hoors in jannah, did you know the queen of the hoors will be his wife that was on the earth? and she will be more beautiful than any hoor? dont you know that if she is more beautiful than any hoor then the man wouldnt want anyone except his wife? Thus, their deepest desire to have their husband to themselves wil be achieved because you will be the most beautiful to him. Now answer me, if you had the most handsomest man in the world (physically and mentally), would you want any other man? No. so you see you must take all hadiths into consideration. As laymen and laywomen we do not understand the wisdom behind all these things.The human wife will have virtue over the [hûrs] because they worshipped Allah in the world.(Targheeb, 534. Classed as Sahih)

muhammad sabri

Salam wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu,

i quote sister Justice 644 and i add one thing that she already said but that i just want to underline: the general rule for Jannah is that you get wethever you wish for in it. So when you get in Jannah IF you will still want a Ferrari you'll get it but at the same time we'll change. Sheikh Hasan Ali did a wonderul series on youtube about Jannah talking about this issue, he said that in a hadeeth a man asked a Prophet if he could get a red camel in Jannah and the Prophet said yes, but look at us now, we have got a Ferrari we would never exchange a Ferrari for a camel, BUT for that beduin the camel WAS the Ferrari! You see where i'm getting at? Right now women may be jealous, or want more than one husband in Jannah, or men may desire for 999999999 hoors and IF Jannah they will still have the desire to get it Allah will give it BUT there's no guarantee that our mentalities will not evolve too in there in sha Allah; i'd like to continue this conversation in Jannah so IN SHA ALLAh let me know there :)

wa salam

Abu Juwairiya

Question 1:According to the Qur’an when a man enters paradise, he will get hoor, i.e. beautiful maidens. What will a woman have when she enters paradise?
1. Hoor mentioned in the Qur’an

The word hoor occurs in the Qur’an in no less than four different places:
(1) In Surah Dukhan chapter 44, verse 54
"Moreover, We shall join them to companions With beautiful, big and lustrous eyes."
[Al-Qur’an 44:54]
(2) In Surah Al-Tur chapter 52 verse 20
"...And We shall join them to companions, with beautiful, big and lustrous eyes."
[Al-Qur’an 52:20]
(3) In Surah Rahman chapter 55 verse 72
"Companions restrained (as to their glances), in goodly pavilions."
[Al-Qur’an 55:72]
(4) In Surah Al-Waqiah chapter 56 verse 22
"And (there will be) companions with beautiful, big and lustrous eyes."
[Al-Qur’an 56:22]
2. Hoor Translated as Beautiful Maidens
Many translators of the Qur’an have translated the word hoor as ‘beautiful maidens’ especially in the Urdu translations. If hoor means‘beautiful maidens’ or girls, then they are meant only for the men. Hence, what will the women get if they enter Paradise?
3. Meaning of Hoor
The word hoor is actually the plural of ahwar (applicable to man) and of haura (applicable to woman) and signifies a person having eyes characterized by hauar a special quality bestowed upon a good soul, male or female in paradise and it denotes the intense whiteness of the white part of the spiritual eye.
The Qur’an describes in several other verses that in paradise you will have azwaj which mean a pair or spouse or companion which means you will have spouses or companions pure and holy (mutaharratun means pure, holy).
"But give glad tidings to those who believe and work righteousness, that their portion is gardens, beneath which rivers flow. Every time they are fed with fruits therefrom, they say: "Why, this is what we were fed with before", for they are given things in similitude; and they have therein companions pure (and holy); and they abide therein (forever)".
[Al-Qur’an 2:25]
"But those who believe and do deeds of righteousness, We shall soon admit to Gardens, with rivers flowing beneath – their eternal home; therein shall they have companions pure and holy: we shall admit them to shades, cool and ever deepening". [Al-Qur’an 4:57]
Therefore the word hoor has no specific gender. Mohammad Asad has translated the word hoor as spouse and Abdullah Yusuf Ali as companion. Therefore according to some scholars a man in paradise will have a hoor that is a beautiful maiden with beautiful big and lustrous eyes and a woman in paradise will get a man with beautiful big and lustrous eyes.
4. Women will get something exceptional in Paradise
Many scholars say that in context, the word hoor used in the Qur’an refers only to ladies since gents are addressed. A reply that would be accepted by all types of people would rather be the answer given in the Hadith when a similar question was posed that if a man gets a hoor, a beautiful Maiden in Paradise, then what will the women get? The reply was that the women will get that which the heart has not desired for, the ear hasn’t heard off and the eye hasn’t seen, indicating that even the women will get something exceptional in Paradise.
In regards to hoors, this is only for the male who desires more or the female who desires more. Some males do not desire more then their wife because their wife is their love, their honor, their happiness. Why would they want more? it is only a sign from Allah to the males and females on Earth that you can have whatever you desire in the hereafter. In the hereafter, you will have no anger, no thirst, no jealousy, no hatred. These things will be taken away ..It will be pure happiness and contentment.You dont' seem to realise the high status of women in Islam, women in nature are not as sexual (have as much sexual desire as men which is proven statistically)..And thus if Allah mentioned to the women that you will get "70 males in heaven if you died a shaheed" then it would not motivate them in the battlefield, infact may put them off, it would certainly motivate the males as this is part of their nature. Most of the scholars say that "you will get over 74virigins in heaven" indicates that the man will get whatver he wants, not that he will most certainly get that because not all men want 74 virgins.. Though you may think, why would allah say that to motivate them? Allah loves all of his creation and knows what motivates them. By the way, just to inform you. IF the man asks for hoors in jannah, did you know the queen of the hoors will be his wife that was on the earth? and she will be more beautiful than any hoor? dont you know that if she is more beautiful than any hoor then the man wouldnt want anyone except his wife? Thus, their deepest desire to have their husband to themselves wil be achieved because you will be the most beautiful to him. Now answer me, if you had the most handsomest man in the world (physically and mentally), would you want any other man? No. so you see you must take all hadiths into consideration. As laymen and laywomen we do not understand the wisdom behind all these things.The human wife will have virtue over the [hûrs] because they worshipped Allah in the world.(Targheeb, 534. Classed as Sahih)

Jazakallah Khayrun for your wonderful and detailed answer. If I can just say that it is possible when the number 74 is mentioned over the number of virgins to be given to some Muslim men, it is plausible to suggest, it may also be referring to a linguistic meaning known to the Muslims at the time. What I am referring to is when the number 70-79 or 70, 000-80, 000 was mentioned at the time of the Sahaba had a different meaning to what we understand today. To them, in the language of the day, those numbers referred to an infinity, an unknown number imaginable and a figure beyond their ability to comprehend. Hence when Bedouins or others would want to say something was so large, they would say 70 or 70, 000 when they actually meant infinity or something that is too large to put into numbers.

justice_644

Jazakallah Khayrun for your wonderful and detailed answer. If I can just say that it is possible when the number 74 is mentioned over the number of virgins to be given to some Muslim men, it is plausible to suggest, it may also be referring to a linguistic meaning known to the Muslims at the time. What I am referring to is when the number 70-79 or 70, 000-80, 000 was mentioned at the time of the Sahaba had a different meaning to what we understand today. To them, in the language of the day, those numbers referred to an infinity, an unknown number imaginable and a figure beyond their ability to comprehend. Hence when Bedouins or others would want to say something was so large, they would say 70 or 70, 000 when they actually meant infinity or something that is too large to put into numbers.

exactly what are you trying to establish brother? that men will have an unlimited supply of women in jannah, i think i already know that
by the way, i'm sorry i didn't include this in my reply before but that answer was given to me by Shaikh Abu Ismaeel, when i asked him a similar question

salaam

Abu Juwairiya

exactly what are you trying to establish brother? that men will have an unlimited supply of women in jannah, i think i already know that
by the way, i'm sorry i didn't include this in my reply before but that answer was given to me by Shaikh Abu Ismaeel, when i asked him a similar question

salaam

Assalammu Alaikum and Jazakallah Khayrun Brother for the message. Firstly, I am sorry for not being clearer earlier and that I already told you something you knew quite well.

The point I was trying to make was that the Quraish and Arabs of the time spoke in numbers of seventy when they referred to an infinite number or an unimaginable amount when they conversed with each other. Therefore, in the context of anything mentioned with any number related to seventy it may be that the Arabs and Muslims of the time were being informed by Allah in the language that they understood of what to expect in Jannah.

In this respect, the number in general may signify the incomprehensiveness of trying to pin down a specific number of any object, gift, possession, property that may be given to a believer in Jannah by Allah compared to what someone may receive from anyone other than Allah in this world, which is always limited, has a brief tenure in how long it will last and also in how good it can remain even in its best state and condition.

So hence, I was not referring specifically to Hur Al Ayn, but to the number alone and how the Quraish and Muslims of the time interpreted, analysed and understood the context of the figure seventy and its sister numbers; seventy thousand, seventy million etc. I mentioned earlier, that the Arabs rarely or never spoke of a number higher than seventy thousand, but let me add here, they were aware of them and knew they were used and would apply them if and when necessary, especially to, towards, for and when speaking with Non Arabs.

I hope this reply is a little more fuller and understandable in comparison to my earlier response. Jazakallah Khayrun once more and may Allah reward you for everything. Wasallam.

exalted

sa
Asalamu 3alaikum,

Firstly, I want to state that I’m in no way, shape, or form versed on this topic or any Islamic topic, nor am I at the level I wish to be at...I’m learning about my faith, and implementing Allah’s, the Almighty, the Sustainer, the Ever Forgiver’s rules to the best of my abilities.

I read a thread here that has since closed, and thought a great deal about it. Some of the responses about what women get in Janna, since men get Hoor Al 3ayn, were satisfactory and to the point, while others were too general and somewhat dismissive. I, too, agree that getting to Janna should be our main goal, striving to please Allah so He may have mercy on us, Insha’Allah, but as mere humans, women, we have the right to ask as long as we do not question.

I’d like to take a jab at responding, and if my reply is in error, I ask Allah’s forgiveness.

Muslim men are given the right to have more than one wife, and every Muslim woman knows this and recognizes it; she may not like it, but she has to accept the Will of Allah. Since this is allowed, it should come as no surprise that this will not only be allowed, but be the norm in Janna. Allah knows what He has created, and therefore, men are by nature polygamous and might remain as such in the afterlife. But do keep in mind that the man is allowed two human wives only, and I imagine with emotional attachment to both, but nothing is stated in the Noble Quran about a man's emotional attachment to Hoor Al 3ayn.

Now, about women, it seems that one is rather simplifying our gender when it is said that women are not capable of loving more than one man. She devotes her life to her her family, to only sharing herself with her husband, but how many people have opened the heart of a women to see if she in fact only loves her husband. A man does not have to openly declare his love for two or more women, we see it regularly in our Umma. But women will never declare it and as thus, it is assumed to be true.

How about the woman who was denied the man she loves because he wasn’t of the same class as her family and was ultimately forced into a marriage she did not want. Sure, she may grow to love her husband for being good to her, for loving and providing for their children, but she may still care deeply for the man of her yesteryears. This does not make her a bad person.

How many times have we, unfortunately, heard about Muslim men cheating on their wives, when Allah, the All Knowing, gave them a way out of this sin? Now, how many times have we heard about the wives of these men taking them back. A whole lot. Suppose it was the other way around; how many men take back their cheating wives? I boldly say not many. It is in the nature of men to Gharoo, and to say jealous doesn’t seem accurate. Perhaps possessive with an insurmountable need to protect their women would be more appropriate; a wonderful trait indeed.

Every Muslim, male or female, knows, accepts, lives and breaths the fairness of Allah. The All Mighty would never treat his creations unjustly. He has told us He is the most Just, and He clearly, without a doubt, told us that the inhabitants of Janna will get whatever their inner-selves desire. Allah, the Merciful, did not set limitations.

How many wives have been sneered at because their husbands caught sight of a man looking at their treasured possessions. I’m willing to bet these same women didn’t even notice, but their husbands certainly did and blamed them for it. I, for one, was unfairly blamed for such things. Having said that, I’d like a married woman who questions what she gets in Janna to imagine for a minute what her husband would think if he knew; had Allah clearly stated what a woman would get in Janna the way He did with Hoor Al 3ayn for men. Just him, man, believing for a moment that his wife may be with another man might make him combust, go utterly mad. Perhaps even insane with the mere notion. And perhaps this is why the All-Wise Allah did not make mention of that in the Holy Quran; to keep men sane. Perhaps a man would become so filled with rage that his wife will be with another man in Janna that he may abuse her, think her less moral or modest. Perhaps Allah didn't tell us to keep us from using this against our husbands...'I will have someone better than you in Janna.' How horrible it would be for a woman to say that. There is great wisdom in concealing this, and we should see it for what is and appreciate that Allah is protecting us, not being unfair to us.

I’d like to offer the idea that we, too, MAY get our own version of Hoor Al 3ayen, but indirectly. Perhaps our gifts will only be visible to us.

Salam
:salam:

salaam sister
i think you've got some valid points, that there are things for women in jannah that have not been mentioned in the quran
the prrof of this comes from these hadith:

um ‘Umarah al-Ansariyyah said that she went to the Prophet (May peace and blessings be upon him) and said to Him: "I feel that everything is for men. Women are not mentioned as having anything. Then was revealed the Verse: (For Muslim men and women, for believing men and women etc), Verse 35, Surat al-Ahzab, or the Confederates. The Hadith is narrated by at-Tirmizi under No. 3211, and is in Sahih at-Tirmizi under No. 2565.

In the collection of Hadiths of Imam Ahmad was narrated the Hadith that Um Salama (May Allah be pleased with her) said: "I said "O Messenger (May peace and blessings be upon him) of Allah. Why aren’t we mentioned in the Quran in an equal footing with men?" Then; I was surprised to hear Him call one day from the pulpit: "O people." As I was combing my hair at the moment, I wrapped it up and came close to the door and stood there listening to Him say: "Allah, Mighty and Sublime be He, revealed that (For Muslim men and women; for believing men and women; for devout men and women, for true men and women; for men and women who are patient and constant; for men and women who humble themselves; for men and women who give in charity; for men and women who fast; for men and women who guard their chastity; and for men and women who engage much in Allah’s remembrance for them has Allah prepared forgiveness and great reward.) Verse 35, Surat al-Ahzab, or the Confederates.

You see Allah swt didn't even mention any reward for women until one of them and went asked the prophet and then he sent those verses, it just shows that if reward isn't mention it doesn't mean its not there:), so lets hope for the best and ask and pray for the best, there is never anything wrong with asking allah(swt)

:salam:

Precious Star

None of this matters, this discussion is not fruitful because the reality is that what we receive in Jannah, we will be happy and satisfied with it -- whether it is one man, 5 men or 100 men.

Jannah is a place where we will be content. So why are we debating what that "contentment" will consist of?

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
Bismillahirrahmanirrahim :
“Whoever works righteousness, man or woman, and has faith,
verily to him/her we will give a new life that is good and pure,
and we will bestow on such their reward according to the best of their actions”
(Holy Qur'an: Surat An-Nahl ~16:97)

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
Bismillahirrahmanirrahim :
"And your God says: Call upon Me, I will answer you;
surely those who are too proud to worship Me