How did King Negus understand The Companion when both were from different cultures ?

Islam!!yay

:salam2:

Well Im reading a book about the Prophet PBUH and when his companions went to Abyssinia and when King Negus asked one of the followers to explain the deen to him. The King understood what one of the Companions said and seems to have understood The Quran too when he recited it.but could the companion have spoken the Abyssinian language or the King understood arabic ?

I hope you know which Event im talking about. Im talking about when the kuffars came to Abyssinia to convince King Negus to send the Companions back to Mecca.I forgot The Companions name who spoke to the King, so please brothers or sisters if you know , remind me :)

I hope Im clear in my Question

Thank You!!!

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
:salam2:

I'm not sure of the details but even if the king didn't know Arabic, most kings used to have translators in their court who knew several languages. So if anyone visited from a foreign land they could listen to them and understand what was needed.

abu'muhammad

Wa alaykum assalaam,

I Hope you're doing well. It reads as under from the ' The sealed nectar'- the prophet's biography about the letter sent by Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to Negas.

"When ‘Amr bin Omaiyah Ad-Damari communicated the Apostolic letter to Negus, the latter took the parchment and placed it on his eye, descended to the floor, confessed his faith in Islam and wrote the following reply to the Prophet [pbuh]:"

from here : http://www.witness-pioneer.org/vil/B...(Ethiopia)

-- http://www.witness-pioneer.org/vil/B..._tsn/index.htm

In response he wrote a reply letter to Prophet (peace be upon him ). the way of communication is not mentioned in there. But its a fact that the letter was communicated with him and so he did wrote a return reply. But How ? is still unclear here.

InshaAllaah some other source of info can answer the way of communication and how exactly that went and hope that helps.

BarakAllaahu feek.