How do you edit a video?

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum [Peace be unto you],

On the Internet, you could sometimes find certain videos of documentaries that contain information that could be used for the defense of Islam. However, this same video also contains scenes that are haraam [forbidden] in Islam for many reasons.

Therefore I have the following questions:

1- Is there any piece of free software -that I can download- which allows me to edit the videos and make a new video of only the scenes I want to appear? And how does that work?

2- Does this free software also allow a person to write titles and subtitles on the video he edits?

3- When I decide to upload my edited video on a video sharing website [such as YouTube], is there an option where I can disable the comments section whereby no one can comment on the video on that video sharing website?

I'd be grateful if someone could answer these questions.

Regards,

Bluegazer,

Wassalamu Alaikum

Faisal_01

Art is my Expression
:salam2:

There aren't many free video editing softwares that do a lot, so I generally don't trust them. If you are serious about learning to edit videos, I highly recommend Adobe After Effects. It's cost a few hundred dollars but it's worth every penny. I've used it many many times to edit my animations and it really is a wonderfull piece of software. You can also download a trial version and try it out for your self.

:wasalam:

Bluegazer

It's just that I want a piece of software that allows me to cut out the bits I don't want and also add titles and subtitles.

I think there must be some free software out there that allows these basic functions.

Faisal_01

Art is my Expression

If you really want a free software, then try Windows movie maker. It's free and pretty reliable, but not enough for doing complex editing. I think Windows Movie Maker is the type of software you're looking for.

:wasalam:

samiha

---------
Staff member

I agree with Faisal, I think Windows movie maker would just suit your needs enough. If you know how to download videos off of there and convert it in order to use it, then WMM can work with it, just when you re-upload it i notice it loses some of its quality, however I suppose that is supposed to be expected.

It does do subtitles, but they dont adjust too much, in regards to shadow etc, but they do have some interesting effects.

If you wanted, you could edit the video, save it, then add subs later with other programs. I dont know how much quality would be lost though.

And yes you can disable comments. Many people do, especially when others post rude or ignorant replies. On Youtube there are two options, one where you have to approve every single comment before it shows up, or complete disabling. Once you upload a video you can find it under the video settings.

wasalam

Bluegazer

Thank you brother Faisal and sister Samiha for the very helpful replies. I believe I'm going to give it a try on Windows Movie Maker.