How to correct mistakes in Salah?

lolokopp

:salam2:

Sometimes I notice that I made a mistake in my prayers (especially when I'm tired).

I know that you have to do extra sujoods if you are not sure about whether you prayed 3 or 4 rakah after last tashahud.

Is there a way to correct mistakes concercing recitation or other things?

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Walaykumsalaam waa rahmatullahi..

Please read the following ruling :-

In the case of being uncertain, such as if a person is not sure if he has done something extra or omitted something, e.g., he is not sure whether he has prayed three rak’ahs or four, one of the following two scenarios must apply:

Either he thinks that one or the other is more likely to be case, whether it is doing more or omitting something, in which case he should proceed on the basis of what he thinks is more likely to be the case, complete his prayer accordingly, then do the prostration of forgetfulness after saying the salaam;

Or neither appears more likely to be the case, so he should proceed on the basis of what is certain, namely the lesser amount, and complete his prayer accordingly, then do the prostration of forgetfulness before saying the salaam.

For example: a man prays Zuhr then he is not sure whether he is praying the third or fourth rak’ah, but he thinks it more likely that it is the third. So he should pray another rak’ah, then say the salaam, then do the prostration of forgetfulness.

An example of when neither seems to him more likely to be the case is when a man is praying Zuhr and is not sure whether he is in the third rak’ah or the fourth, and neither seems to him more likely to be the case. In that case he should proceed on the basis of what is certain, which is the lesser amount. So he should regard it as the third rak’ah, then do another rak’ah and do the prostration of forgetfulness before saying the salaam. Thus it becomes clear that this should be done before the salaam if you have omitted one of the obligatory parts of the prayer or if you are not sure how many rak’ahs you have done, and neither of the two choices seems more likely to be the case. And it should be done after the salaam if you have added something extra to the prayer or you are not certain but one of the two choices seems more likely to be the case.

See Majmoo’ Fataawa al-Shaykh, 14/14-16

And Allaah is the Source of strength.

Link of the full fatwa :- http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/12527

This fatwa deals with when we should perform prostration of forgiveness. If you have more doubts, please view the entire fatwa. I have only pasted a small portion of it.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Salaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi,

I don't know what you mean by correcting mistake in recitation. If you mean a mistake caused by 'slip of the tongue'. You can repeat the correct verse again.

If you mean that have forgotten the next verse of a surah that you are reciting. Just stop there and go in to Rukoo.

Fatwa regarding this :-

If the Imam recited a part of the Qur’an and forgot the ending of the verse, and none of the followers reminded him of it, he can choose either to say the takbeer and discontinue the recitation, or recite a verse or more from another surah. But this is allowed only if the forgotten part is not from Al-Fatihah. As far as Al-Fatihah is concerned, it must be recited in its entirety as reciting it is an obligatory act of prayer.1

Fatawa Islamiyyah by Ibn Baz, 396.

Link : http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/44

Another helpful fatwa in this regard.

It is permissible for a person to recite whatever he can of what he knows of the Qur’aan –according to his ability.

It was narrated from ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The one who recites the Qur’aan and learns it by heart, will be with the noble righteous scribes (in Heaven) and the one who exerts himself to learn the Qur’aan by heart and recites it with great difficulty, will have a double reward.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari (4937).

The hadeeth indicates that the one who finds it difficult to read Qur’aan will be rewarded for his reading. This is all aimed at encouraging one to read Qur’aan and not to forsake the Qur’aan.

So there is nothing wrong with a person reciting the verses that he knows, whether it is three verses or more or less.

If he can read but he has only memorized a few verses, then he is advised to devote some of his time for memorization and some for reading from the Mus-haf so as to attain the reward for reciting, so that he may combine the two: memorization and recitation.

We ask Allaah to help us and you to memorize His Book and to read it during some hours of the night, and at the ends of the day (cf. Ta-Ha 20:130), for He is Able to do that.

And Allaah knows best.

Link :- http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/98309

lolokopp

Salaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi,

I don't know what you mean by correcting mistake in recitation. If you mean a mistake caused by 'slip of the tongue'. You can repeat the correct verse again.

If you mean that have forgotten the next verse of a surah that you are reciting. Just stop there and go in to Rukoo.

Yes, thats what I meant. Or when I accidentally skip an Ayat (Like when I recite "Qul hu wallahu ahad. Lam Ya lid, wa lam yu lad ... ").

Or once it happened to me that I stood up from 2nd raka'h tashahud and instead of reciting Al Fatiha I recited "Allahumma salli ala muhammad" while standing ...

Are these mistakes to be corrected anyhow?

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Yes, thats what I meant. Or when I accidentally skip an Ayat (Like when I recite "Qul hu wallahu ahad. Lam Ya lid, wa lam yu lad ... ").

You should recite slowly at your pace and try to avoid skipping ayahs by mistake. In any case if you do, correct yourself. Since reciting a Surah after Fatihah is not a pillar of Salah (it is Sunnah), there should be no prostation of forgetfulness for this. And Allah knows best.

Or once it happened to me that I stood up from 2nd raka'h tashahud and instead of reciting Al Fatiha I recited "Allahumma salli ala muhammad" while standing ...

*Portion of post removed due to uncertainty of the correctness of information shared*

An answer is requested from a local imam.

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
You should recite slowly at your pace and try to avoid skipping ayahs by mistake. In any case if you do, correct yourself. Since reciting a Surah after Fatihah is not a pillar of Salah (it is Sunnah), there should be no prostation of forgetfulness for this. And Allah knows best.
i

:salam2:wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu....

thats new to me!!you mean sometimes we can simple start with other surah??can you explain this point akhi.i thought surah fatiha was a "must" in every rakaah.

jazakallah khairan.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
:salam2:wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu....

thats new to me!!you mean sometimes we can simple start with other surah??can you explain this point akhi.i thought surah fatiha was a "must" in every rakaah.

jazakallah khairan.

Pay more attention to what I wrote. The *Surah* read after Surah fatihah is Sunnah part of the prayer.

Btw this doesn't mean that we start omitting Sunnah portions of the prayer. It is just a classification of the actions and recitation in our daily prayer. On the contrary, we should try to resemble our prayer as much as we can to our beloved Prophet SallAllahu Alleihi Wa Sallama.

For a complete list of all pillars, obligatory and sunnah parts of prayer, please refer to this link :- http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/65847/

And I am still looking for someone to confirm my response about *addition to prayer* that I have replied to sister lolokopp above. BarakAllahu feek.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
I am not 100% sure on this. I would classify this as 'adding something to the prayer'. Can someone please help the sister out here ?

Wa `alaykkums salaam wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh

I think it is due to the mind wandering about and thus making such a mistake. And this mistake does not require Sajdah As sahw, and Allaah knows best.

Shaykh al-Bahooti rahimahullaah said:

The prostration of forgetfulness is prescribed when one of the reasons for it is present, namely doing something extra, omitting something, or not being sure (of how many rak’ahs one has prayed), except in the case of janaazah (funeral) prayer. This does not include when one’s mind wanders, because it is not possible to avoid it, so it is forgiven.

Kashshaaf al-Qinaa’, 2/465.

And as far as I remember, this is the addition of pillars or omitting of the pillars, and not anything else, wAllaahu a'lam. Since the correct opinion about the waajibaat is sitting forthe first Tashahhud and reciting it only (and not saying subhana rabbiyal a'laa, rabbana lakal hamd etc.)

And Allaah knows best, but this how I understand it. Please let me know if there is anything about this matter from a person of knowledge, so that I could know.

BarakAllaahu feek
Was salaamu `alaykkum

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Please let me know if there is anything about this matter from a person of knowledge, so that I could know.

BarakAllaahu feek
Was salaamu `alaykkum

Salaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi dear akhi,

JazakAllahu Khayran for sharing your knowledge with us. Since both of us are not completely sure, I went ahead and forwarded the question to my local Imam. As ramadan has started, he is preoccupied with ibadah and other matters. Therefore I am not sure when I can expect a response from him.

In any case, your advice is very valid. To avoid such mistakes, more attention should be paid while performing salah. For those who are new to making salah, perhaps they should pray at their own slow(er) pace, so that they can perform it perfectly to their best ability.

May Allah azz zawajal make it easy for our new brothers and sisters in faith & reward them for their enthusiasm in learning their deen. Ameen.

And Allah knows best.