Husband obligied to provide for his family

I.Iman

Assalamu wa aleikom wa ramathullah wa barakatho

I have some questions about husband providing for his wife and family.

- Are a husband aloud to tell his wife to give her money to him or to pay for this and that? Or is this haram to do for the husband?
- When is a women obligied to help as a maintainer of a household?
- If a women helps out financial, with half the expenses for ex, should a husband be satisfied with this?
-Many people nowdays says this aya in the qur'an is not appliable now and that women should help with the providing of the family. (this made me wonder if we are aloud to take Allahs words and use them as we wish, for example we cannot say my husband cannot marry a second wife, even if it is "different" times now).

(Please note, that this question does not refer to when a husband doesn't have any money or income, but is refer to in normal cases when a husband have an income - even if it is not big).

Please refer to Sunnah and the Qur'an and no personal thinking.

Barak Allah feekom

Ayyub

Wa'alaikoum Assalam Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh

I read once a question posed to the Permanent Committee for Scholarly Research and Ifta' if a rich wife or sister has to spend money on her poor husband or brother and there the answer was no.

Here the fatwa:
The fifteenth question of Fatwa no. 606
Q 15: Why are a rich wife and sister not obliged to spend on a poor husband and brother respectively?
A: Allah has obliged men to spend on their wives and the womenfolk who are under their care, as He says, Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allâh has made one of them to excel the other, and because they spend (to support them) from their means. He has decreed that men are the protectors and maintainers of women
(Part No. 21; Page No. 157)
as He has imbued men with better understanding and due to their spending in mahr and maintenance. In return for their heavier responsibility, men have rights over their wives. A wife should take care of her house and children, and the like. Thus, Allah entitles each of the spouses to have rights befitting their nature as He says: And they (women) have rights (over their husbands as regards living expenses) similar (to those of their husbands) over them (as regards obedience and respect) to what is reasonable, but men have a degree (of responsibility) over them. And Allâh is All-Mighty, All-Wise.
May Allah grant us success. May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions.

The Permanent Committee for Scholarly Research and Ifta'

Member Member Deputy Chairman
`Abdullah ibn Sulayman Ibn Mani` `Abdullah ibn `Abdul-Rahman ibn Ghudayyan `Abdul-Razzaq `Afify

You said that your husband is not poor so you don't have to spend money on him or the family cause this is his duty that Allah ordered him to do.

Many people nowdays says this aya in the qur'an is not appliable now and that women should help with the providing of the family. (this made me wonder if we are aloud to take Allahs words and use them as we wish, for example we cannot say my husband cannot marry a second wife, even if it is "different" times now).

This is nearly kufr!!! Cause Allah says in the quran that he has completed for mankind their religion and it will be the legislation til the day of judgement so how come some say that this ayah today is not appliable.
It would only be the case if Allah subhanahu wa ta'alaa would have weakened this ayah with another ayah which Alllah hasn't done.

Wal barka feek.

I.Iman

Barak Allah feek

So does this mean a wife could say no to her husband if he ask of her money?

I would like to know if there is a sin on the husband who continously asks for his wifes money or how much money she have?

Jazak Allah kheir

Ayyub

Al barka feek sister.

Well the wife has the right to say no if her husband ask her to pay something.From the duroos and fatwa that I read then the wife can do whatever she wants with her money and the husband has no right to interfer with her money.

Like I said Allah subhanahu wa ta'alaa made the men responsible for the family and Allah also gave the right to the women to spend their own money only on themselves.

About your second question then I don't know. It would be a sin if he the husband has the money to pay but still asksor forces his wife to pay. Cause then the husband would be ignoring Allah's command.

I would recommand or advie you to advise your husband on your rights and ask him why he is behaving like that.

And Allah knows best.

Wa'alaikoum Assalam Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

There is always wisdom in the Law of Allah.

But, let us look at the other side of the picture. Some men are blessed with having wives who are wealthy. If the economic circumstances are such that it has to be joint effort to survive well common sense takes over.
How can you place your other half in such a case of humility ? There is a delicate balance. Have mercy upon your spouse.
Ask for the blessings of the razaak of Allah subhana wa taala. Why make it an issue?

I.Iman

Barak Allah feekom.

This is a problem rising in many muslim families. Husband wants his right but not giving his wife hers.
Aapa, I did not mean in "worst" cases, but in normal. Where husband do have a job.
If a women have a small income every month she should put this in the household even if the man are able to provide ?

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

A woman has the responsibility of guarding her husband's property. Now, I don't know about you but I always spent a little money on making my home beautiful. Spend it wisely. But, I would buy my hubby a little gift..a shirt or whatever on payday. Equally, he would spoil me.

Make it easy on your husband. And he will respond.

It is a continuation of the honeymoon.

Please do not get into the kufr battles. They fight over money. That breaks down a marriage.

Keep money aside for a rainy day. But...and this is a biggie...do not waste time over money. Yes, the issue is emerging for Muslims. When we live in a world that dictates a two-income lifestyle it increases stress on the couple. This is the case in the West.

Now, I am also seeing many a brother who allows his wife to collect welfare and he does not work. If he can not find work it makes sense for the wife to support him; sometimes a man can only get a part-time job. You support each other.