I cursed by accident....

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
Does that break my fast ?

:salam2:

i've heard that bad speech such as telling lies or speaking profanely breaks one's fast. i have read that from several scholars during the month of ramadan. many of us think that fasting only consists of the abandoning of food and drink, but it's a little more than that.

but you said that your situation was accidental, so your fast may not exactly be broken. just like a person that may have accidently swallowed water performing wudu during ramadan or may have have woken up and drank water forgetting about having already started one's fast. i think your cursing by accident may fall under that category. because fasting cannot really be performed without stating your niyaah to perform it, cursing was never where you had your niyyah. i think that you haven't broken fast.

i suggest that you talk to the most knowledgeable person you know that has thoroughly studied the fiqh of fasting. but as i mentioned earlier, many scholars are in concensus that speaking bad speech during fasting breaks one's fast.
:wasalam:

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum.

Those who say it breaks the fast need to provide proof. While it is definitely detested, I don't know of a single proof to say it does break the fast, if anyone does please bring it. On the contrary, the nullifiers of fasting are known, well-known. There are ahadeeth that state that Allaah is not in need of the fast of one who uses false (foul) speech and acts upon it, but that doesn't say that the actual fast breaks. Rather that exhorts us to try to keep away from bad speech when fasting...

But like I said, please show the proofs for this as. Allaah knows best.

Was-salaam

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Assalaamu'Alaykum,

Just baiscally reiterating what Brother Al-Kashmiri said.

You can refer to this Fatawa [only a portion of it will apply], Insha'Allaah it will be helpful:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39517

It is obligatory upon the Muslim to protect his fasting and his standing for prayer at (night) from that which Allah has made forbidden for him of statements and deeds. This is because the intent of the fast is obedience to Allah, honouring the things He has made sacred, forcing the soul to oppose its desires for the sake of obeying its Master and accustoming it to being patient in avoiding what Allah has forbidden. The purpose of the fast is not merely leaving off food, drink and other things that break the fast. For this reason it has been authenticated from the Messenger of Allah :saw: that he said:

“Fasting is a shield. So, if it is a day that one of you is fasting, he should not say obscene things nor should he raise his voice in anger. If someone verbally abuses him or fights him, he should say, ‘Verily I am fasting.’”

[Al-Bukhari no. 1904 and Ahmad 6:244]

It has also been authenticated from him that he :saw: said:

“He who does not abandon false speech, acting according to it and ignorant behaviour, then Allah has no need of him abandoning his food and his drink.”

[Al-Bukhari no. 1903]

From these texts and other than them it is known that it is obligatory upon the fasting person to beware of all that Allah has made forbidden for him and to take care in guarding all of what Allah has obligated him with. In this way it is hoped that he will gain forgiveness, freedom from the Fire and the acceptance of his fasting and standing at night for prayer.
Walaykum Salaam.