I have a question that I really need an answer to please help

code_red613

I know a Muslim cannot eat pork or drink alcohole... I converted last year and have heard different answers to my question. Can a Muslim eat crab or lobster? I have heard you can eat crab but not lobster and I have heard you can eat lobster but not crab if anyone knows the answer to this I would really appreciate it. thank you

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
As Salaamu Alaykum
It's debated among Muslims whether or not all seafood is allowed or only fishes.

According to: http://www.zawaj.com/

Question: Eating Seafood?

I have heard many things about the standing of seafood in Islam. One person told me that we could only eat the fish that have scales, so that means no shark, whales, crawfish, etc. Another person told me that we could eat it all. Can you please tell me what is right?

Answer:

In the Qur’an Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala says, “Lawful to you is water game and its use for food - for the benefit of yourselves and those who travel, but forbidden is land game as long as you are in a state of Ihram (for Hajj or ‘Umrah). And fear Allah to whom you shall be gathered back.” (Al-Ma’idah 5:96) Some jurists interpret the word “ta’amuhu” (meaning the “food” from water source) as fish only. But other jurists take it to mean anything that lives in the water and is edible. The later is the majority opinion and it is closer to the language of the Qur’an. I am inclined to take the majority opinion. Majority of the jurists consider shrimps, shark, whale or any other type of seafood permissible. Wallah a’lam.

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
Are there any types of seafood that Muslims are not permitted to eat?

Assalamu alaikum Sister again,

Now I`ll be more serious. :SMILY71: :SMILY71:

Are there any types of seafood that Muslims are not permitted to eat?

Question:
Please forgive me for my ignorance in this matter. I am very interested in learning the ways of Islam. My question concerns dietary rulings. What types of fish and seafood are permissible?
Thank you for your help.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Among the blessings that Allaah has bestowed upon us is the fact that He has made our religion easy for us, and has not made it too difficult or unbearable. He has allowed us many things that were forbidden according to previously-revealed laws. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “… Allaah intends for you ease, and He does not want to make things difficult for you…” [al-Baqarah 2:185].

Hence all kinds of food from the sea are permissible, whether they are plants or animals, alive or dead. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “Lawful to you is (the pursuit of) water-game and its use for food – for the benefit of yourselves and those who travel…” [al-Maa’idah 5:96]. Ibn ‘Abbaas said: “ Sayduhu (lit. hunting, pursuit) refers to whatever is taken from it alive, and ta’aamuhu (lit. its food) means whatever is taken dead.”

There are a few things – certain types of water animals – which some scholars exclude from the permission outlined above. These are:

Crocodiles. The correct view is that eating these is not allowed, because they have fangs and live on land – even though they may spend a lot of time in the water – so precedence should be given to the reason for forbidding it (it is a land animal that has fangs).

Frogs. It is not permitted to eat them because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade killing them, as is reported in the hadeeth of ‘Abd al-Rahmaan ibn ‘Uthmaan, who said that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade the killing of frogs. (Narrated by Imaam Ahmad and Ibn Maajah; see also Saheeh al-Jaami, 6970). The rule is that everything which we are forbidden to kill, we are not allowed to eat; if we are allowed to eat it we are allowed to kill it.

Some scholars exclude sea snakes, but the correct view is that as they live nowhere except in the water, we are permitted to eat them, because of the general nature of the aayah (interpretation of the meaning): “Lawful to you is (the pursuit of) water-game and its use for food – for the benefit of yourselves …” [al-Maa’idah 5:96].

Otters and turtles. The correct view is that to be on the safe side, it is permissible to eat them after slaughtering them properly, because they live both on land and in the sea. Here the rule is that in the case of animals that live both on land and in the sea, the rules concerning land animals should be given precedence, to be on the safe side, so they must be slaughtered properly, except for crabs which do not need to be slaughtered, even though they live both on land and in the sea, because they do not have blood.

Everything that can cause harm is forbidden as food, even if it comes from the sea, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “… And do not kill yourselves (nor kill one another). Surely, Allaah is Most Merciful to you.” [al-Nisa’ 4:29] and: “… and do not throw yourselves into destruction…” [al-Baqarah 2:195].

(See al-Mughni, 11/83; Haashiyah al-Rawd, 7/430; Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 3/197; and Ahkaam al-At’imah by al-Fawzaan).

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

By the way, I`m still hungry.

code_red613

so crab and lobsters are permissible but at the same time a lobster if you eat it in the wrong way it could poison the human body also if you do not cook it when it is alive the lobster releases poison in its system.... so therefor it could harm the human body. Also a crocodile lives on the land but survives in the water.. so does a crab... so you can eat a crab because it doesn't have fangs? sorry I am a little bit confused. also someone told me one school permites it and one does not. thank you for your help

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
Yep, we are allowed to eat crabs because they don`t have fangs. Fangs is the reason for prohibiting crocodiles (but still controversial).

Marine animals that also live on land and that have normal blood that runs off when slaughtered must be slaughtered before their flesh becomes lawful to eat. This includes animals such as sea turtles, sea otters, and marine birds.

It does not matter what percentage of their lives they live on land and what percentage of their lives are spent in the water. they must be slaughtered in the same manner as land animals.

As for marine animals like crabs that do not have such blood but that can also manage to spend some time on land, they do not have to be slaughtered. Their flesh is lawful like any other seafood.

We are not supposed to eat or drink things that harm us. Don`t eat the lobster in the wrong way, and everything will be fine.

muharram23

Staff member
halal foods from sea

Selamu alaykum brother/sister and welcome to islam.

Allah s.v.a has made islam very easy, although people make it really hard. Some scholars have said that people with little knowledge, give fatawwas( islamic rulings) very quickly. Meaning without any fear that they might make something haram which Allah .sva made halal, and making things halal which ALlah made haram. Anyways, islam has proof for everthing. So, always ask proof from quran and sunnah and never take an opinion or statement without proof.

There is a good site called www.islamqa.com, you can post a search for anything, and u'll be able to find answer on there. By a well know scholar Sheikh Salih al-munajjid. May ALlah sv.a reward him.

Brother/sister u can visit this link below, and ull find and answer to ur question.

http://islamqa.com/index.php?ref=1919&ln=eng&txt=sea food

May Allah s.v.a increase our knowledge about our deen so we dont spread misguidence.

Ammeen

Assalamu alaykum

basheerpkm

trying to be Mu'min
Frogs. It is not permitted to eat them because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade killing them, as is reported in the hadeeth of ‘Abd al-Rahmaan ibn ‘Uthmaan, who said that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade the killing of frogs. (Narrated by Imaam Ahmad and Ibn Maajah; see also Saheeh al-Jaami, 6970). The rule is that everything which we are forbidden to kill, we are not allowed to eat; if we are allowed to eat it we are allowed to kill it.
:confused: :confused: :confused: in our study we killed lot of frogs:eek:

shariffah

you may eat both but dont eat in wrong way.. wrong way meaning that the food are not from the halal way.. such you steal money from someone and buy the food from that money. The food will automatically haram in Islam.

animals from 2 life.. amphibia and reptilia expecially.. which live in water and also land are also prohibbited. Because it brings harm in our body..

:shymuslima1:

please correct me if I have any mistake....

visionusman

being content
This is actually a very pertinent question. I know there is controversy surrounding the matter. The ruling regarding sea food is the following. The Prophet SAW said that all food that comes from the sea is halaal EXCEPT for animals that can live both in water as well as out of water and also animals that are actually water creatures but look morphologically like a land animal eg the sea horse. This is an authentic hadith.
Hope this helps

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum,

Since we have now established that "crab and lobsters are permissible" which was the original question...Can we get down to the real business i.e.

Who is Cooking? When & Where?

:) :) :)

visionusman

being content
Brother I don't think they are. Read my earlier response. InshAllah I'll get you the authority of the Hadith by tomorrow.

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum,

Combining all answers it would seem that ALL ANIMALS that live in Water (cannot survive outside) would be Halal and some forms of crabs/lobsters who can live in both (in water & out) would be best to avoid...

Is that right?

Bawar

Struggling2Surrender
Assalamu alaikum Visionusman!
I hope you can provide the full reference to this hadith that you mentioned. As for now, I can't agree with you if it is a hadith. After finding out about its authenticity, i think it will make this seafood debate much clearer.

Jazakallah khair
Wassalam

code_red613

Assalamu alaikum
and thank you all for answering my question... i guess in the end to be on the safe side you should not eat crab. I just dont understand though how a crab could harm the human body. i know there is a reason behind everything that is said in the Qu'ran though. thank you all for your help

Sulikha

Tawakal-Allal-Allah
:salam2:

I don't have much to write about this things, but I know one thing and I wouldn't eat the POOR Lobstar. Anyone seen the way they cook, THEY PUT THE POOR THING IN TO BOILING WATER WHILE ITS STILL ALIVE:girl3::girl3: .

:wasalam:

amin

According to hanafi Fiqh we are only allowed to eat fish. Other madhabs might have different opinions.
Salam Alaikom

almouchie

salam

dont complicate things for urself, no pork that simple
eat what most people eat from the sea (fish)
i dont know many who actually capture crocodiles to eat them

crab, oysters, etc are all adible
as for frogs, the hadith says something that Prophet said the sound the frog makes is tasbee7
so it not allowed to eat them, not sure if haram or simply makrouh

Praise2Allah

:salam2:

I don't have much to write about this things, but I know one thing and I wouldn't eat the POOR Lobstar. Anyone seen the way they cook, THEY PUT THE POOR THING IN TO BOILING WATER WHILE ITS STILL ALIVE:girl3::girl3: .

:wasalam:

They do! Im not eating them. Hamdulilah ive never ate them too.