I need an explanation for Surat At-Tawba versre 29 ..

Mosque51

:salam2:

In the verse Allah SWT commands to fight People of the Book. So does Allah SWT mean the Jews and Christians who were true to their religions to? So what happens to a Jew or christian decides not to pay the Jizyah ?

weakslave

Brother ayman, this "opinion" is acutely inaccurate and is insulting as an interpretation of the verse. This falls under the catagory of saying about Allaah what you do not know.

We are not scholars to interpret verses as we please. We do not have a fraction of the skills in the arabic language required to even comprehend the simplest of verses.

We don't go about trying to preach our "version" of Islaam. There is only one true Islaam, the religion of Allaah. It's not my religion or yours.

As for the verse, I understand it but I am not willing to risk my Aakhiraah by giving out potentially incorrect information.

This is the book of Allaah. Not some textbook written by a professor.

mmasood65

قَاتِلُوا الَّذِينَ لَا يُؤْمِنُونَ بِاللَّهِ وَلَا بِالْيَوْمِ الْآخِرِ وَلَا يُحَرِّمُونَ مَا حَرَّمَ اللَّهُ وَرَسُولُهُ وَلَا يَدِينُونَ دِينَ الْحَقِّ مِنَ الَّذِينَ أُوتُوا الْكِتَابَ حَتَّى يُعْطُوا الْجِزْيَةَ عَنْ يَدٍ وَهُمْ صَاغِرُونَ (9:29)
Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued.‎ (9:29)

stargazer

Clear Skies!
To analyze the opinions of the weakslave and ayman, I think we have to consider other verses of quran related to fighting and the people of the book in reference to scholars off course.

As for the conditions, quran contains verses which shows that jews and the christians had not abstained from what Allah has forbidden and enjoin what Allah has enjoined.

weakslave

Unfortunately, ...

Do not belittle the education of scholars. They have dedicated their lives to learning this religion and yet they have not reached perfection. Studying Islam is incumbant on every man woman and child who is a Muslim, and that is good for them.

Once you have studied from a scholar and he has given you permission you can move up and start having your own opinions and your own mathhaab. Can you imagine if every muslim who studied for one year came back with their own fatwahs? This wouldn't be called Islaam anymore, it would be called Ismaelisim or Christianity or Judaism. Might as well call it a "free for all".

If (big if here) your own personal opinions are good enough for yourself that is fine. But they are not good enough for the general public. And to go seeking for a scholar that has a similar opinion is surely a sign of the signs of the last days: the knowledge of Islaam is being lifted. To believe that your opinion is the correct opinion is thinking a little too highly of yourself. It is as if you are putting yourself at the level of the Companions of the Prophet :saw:, or the Tabi'een, or the rightous scholars who followed in their footsteps.

We all have a great deal to learn about this religion, and Alhamdulilaah Islaam does not need more opinions than it already has; being the religion with the maximum number of misconceptions by a long shot.