I Need Help Figuring This Out..

well I attend school in VA also but I won't say the name right now.....I do knw that VCU does have a nice MSA but be careful area around the school is not safe because the campus is so broken up. DC has nice muslim population there and funny thing is alot of sisters I know who went there meet there husband there and mash'allah for most part all those sisters are still married . I also heard Atlanta has big community but then again everyone is moving south now days.

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
well I attend school in VA also but I won't say the name right now.....I do knw that VCU does have a nice MSA but be careful area around the school is not safe because the campus is so broken up. DC has nice muslim population there and funny thing is alot of sisters I know who went there meet there husband there and mash'allah for most part all those sisters are still married . I also heard Atlanta has big community but then again everyone is moving south now days.

is the muslim student community big at your school?..or in the town your school is in?..and the little piece of information about the campus..is great..thanks..that helps a whole lot!
and as far as i have read..i think communities in the east and the south are growing and are very established mashallah..
DC sounds like a great destination for me..especially due to my major and all..i can probably have easy access to internship or job opportunities during and after college..so i might as well consider it

baraka allaho feeki for letting me know about these things :hijabi:

Asalaamalikum,

The number of masjids usually have a correlation with the number of Muslims communities.....

http://usinfo.state.gov/products/pubs/muslimlife/musmap.htm

Top 5 states with most Muslims according to a 2000 data census:

1 California ........259,762
2 New York.......... 223,968
3 Illinois ..........125,203
4 New Jersey ........120,724
5 Texas .............114,999

http://answers.cbfl.net/answers/threadview?id=424748

May you Allah swt help you find the best education.

These states are all big ones too..and you're absolutely right..i think the number of masjids in a state or a town..let you know..it's another pattern to look for..in addition to the presence of an MSA on a campus..

jazak allah khair for your input..i sure do appreciate it :hijabi:

:wasalam:

dianek

I live in Richmond and have lived many times in the Fan area around VCU, all residential and student housing are intermixed. However, I don't think that is a bad thing. There would be no more Richmond without VCU. AND if you like small towns, Richmond is SMALL.....everybody knows somebody who knows somebody if you know what I mean. Once you live here you are bound to run into people you know all the time. I love Richmond. Just stay away from SOUTHSIDE or CHURCH HILL and you are sure to be safe. Especially as a Muslim woman. You will also find that people here are friendly and sincere.

And as for N. VA........traffic is crazy, you are in your car 3 hours to travel 20 miles sometimes. Here in Richmond you don't have that problem PLUS housing near campus is very inexpensive....VCU has a room dedicated for Friday prayer for Muslim students...

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
I live in Richmond and have lived many times in the Fan area around VCU, all residential and student housing are intermixed. However, I don't think that is a bad thing. There would be no more Richmond without VCU. AND if you like small towns, Richmond is SMALL.....everybody knows somebody who knows somebody if you know what I mean. Once you live here you are bound to run into people you know all the time. I love Richmond. Just stay away from SOUTHSIDE or CHURCH HILL and you are sure to be safe. Especially as a Muslim woman. You will also find that people here are friendly and sincere.

And as for N. VA........traffic is crazy, you are in your car 3 hours to travel 20 miles sometimes. Here in Richmond you don't have that problem PLUS housing near campus is very inexpensive....VCU has a room dedicated for Friday prayer for Muslim students...

i checked out the link...they look they're quite established..i was impressed..though it seemed like they need to do an update..but nonetheless..it gave me an impression

i would prefer a small town..though living in a big city wouldn't be a problem..i've lived in big cities before..but being a student from out of state..transportation would cause a problem for me..

as for intermixed housing...as long as i don't get a guy *for a roommate* i don't really care.....i can get around the other issues..it would just take some planning maybe

thanks much for the link and the other information you gave me!

i think so far Louisiana and Virginia..are definite first choices..then DC..and once i look into the other names and states mentioned..

i'll see how things will shift around

jazakom allah khair

dianek

When I say intermixed, I mean that in one building you might have 8 apartments with all students renting them and right next door you will have a single family home with kids....definite small town feel here.....and if you live in the fan area.....you walk to most classes and the university has shuttles if you need to take classes at their medical college etc. AND....if you need to get away from the area, I live here and could take you where you wish to go. I work only blocks from campus.

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
When I say intermixed, I mean that in one building you might have 8 apartments with all students renting them and right next door you will have a single family home with kids....definite small town feel here.....and if you live in the fan area.....you walk to most classes and the university has shuttles if you need to take classes at their medical college etc. AND....if you need to get away from the area, I live here and could take you where you wish to go. I work only blocks from campus.

oooohhhh i see....

i was thinking dorm wise..cuz the dorms we have in our university..on each floor they are literally divided into two sides..one for guys..and one for girls..
but that's still fine..it's not an issue to me like i said earlier..

from the sounds of it..i think your town is a lot like ours..cuz our campus has shuttles..and is walking distance from many important areas..

and May Allah Bless You..for offering to be there for me :ma:..you don't know how happy that makes me feel :hijabi:

and again..Congratulations! :hijabi:

wa alaikum assalam

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member

dianek

these are absolutely super!!!

the city looks like it has a very historical feel...i LOVE places like that!!!

WOW!

i'm in love with the city already..

it's so beautiful mashallah!

Definitely HISTORICAL........we are the first capital of the US, our history goes back to the 1600's......most housing in and near the schools are all OLD row houses converted into apartments. There are dorms at VCU as well, not sure how they set those up but I am sure there are probably some designated Muslimah dorms.

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
Definitely HISTORICAL........we are the first capital of the US, our history goes back to the 1600's......most housing in and near the schools are all OLD row houses converted into apartments. There are dorms at VCU as well, not sure how they set those up but I am sure there are probably some designated Muslimah dorms.

wow!

this is really exciting..i'm gonna have to check out VCU more in detail..i kind of took a general look last night..
so i'm gonna have to set some time aside just for that!

housing and what not can be arranged easily..

the process of transferring to the college and all that..is my number 1 concern..but inshallah..it will be easy

i am getting a very good feeling about it..inshallah it will be something of khair

ama6621

Wa Alaykum Asaalamu Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuhu/Asaalamu Alaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuhu
Sister Daniek Is Correct,I Live 5-10 Minutes Away From George Mason University ,And Go Play Soccer There Often With So Many Other Muslims ,Mashallah We Do Have A Big Muslim Community Here In Northern Virginia.^_^One More Thing I Need To Be Thankful For.
Asaalamu Alaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuhu

Assalam Alaikum,
Brother Azhar, it seems to me that you brother heartbeat and I live very close to each other. In the DC metro area.

Assalam Alaikum

Assalam Alaikum,
Brother Azhar, it seems to me that you brother heartbeat and I live very close to each other. In the DC metro area.

Assalam Alaikum

ASA,

OOOOoooo don't forget about me. I live about 15 mins from George Mason. It's a small world after all. Group lunch? LOL

dianek

Though you are ALL much younger than me, if you do lunch on a weekend sometime let me know....it is only a 2 hour commute for me! Would love to meet some of you.......and my husband would love to eat Jerusalem........they make Tunisian Couscous! :)

naimo

a_muslimah86

salam sis
i insist you go to the college in saudi arabia my cousin just got a scholership form there and my parents are thinking about sending my older brother there it's called University of Mecca
salam:SMILY259:

dianek

Wa Alaykum Asaalamu Warahmatullahi Wabrakatuhu
Haha Lets Schedule A Picnic Date Big Brothers/Sisters. ^_^ I'll Bring The Qurans And The Carpets Lol.
Inshallah We Can All Meet One Day,I Met Big Bro HumbleWun1 In My Dreams Like Three-Four Days Ago No Joke Lol.
Asaalamu Alaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuhu
P.S.So Sorry Sister For Changing The Subject

Why make fun of doing that? I think it should be organized! I would like to meet you and learn from you all. May I suggest we schedule it?