I need help with reverting

Well it's been a few months since joining this forum and I still haven't asked around for a big issue that I have had trouble with for a while...

It would be best to give you all some background about me and how I've come to my interest in Islam.

My parents are roman catholics and I was raised in catholic school until I was 13 years old. My father is North African and my mother comes from spaniard origin, and they don't favorably view Islam (that doesn't affect my beliefs though I still will hold them regardless). Yesterday I turned 19 (hooray! lol) and I live with my mother still but insha'Allah I will move to a Muslim country sometime soon. I don't think I can reveal my religion to them openly, but any advice on that is welcome.

Anywho, I'm still not familiar with the Arabic language, although I know a few basic words and phrases. Is it possible to take Shahadah without knowing how to recite/read the Koran?

I want to take my shahadah but don't know if that should be done in a masjid, or when, like at jummah. I have never been to one of the mosques here, but have looked up local ones online so I have no problem with that.

to recap my questions to you all:

1) Is it prefrable to take shahadah at a local mosque rather than saying it by yourself?

2) Is it better to learn with an Imam beforehand?

3) Can you take sahadah if you cannot read the Koran in Arabic?

4) How can I deal with the family who doesn't look upon Islam kindly? (I think educating them would be best but they would most likely dismiss me...)

Jazakalla khair, thank you for reading. :)

muslimummah

Just a brother
:salam2:

1) Is it prefrable to take shahadah at a local mosque rather than saying it by yourself?

Answer: Certainly, it is better to take shahadah infront on the imam.

answer: Yes! In fact, you can find english transcription of the shahadah online but you can memorize it yourself.

Answer: Of course! There are 20,000+ new reverts every year in the USA. Most of them don't speak or understand arabic at the beginning for their revert. Many purse to learn the language after embracing Islam.

4) How can I deal with the family who doesn't look upon Islam kindly? (I think educating them would be best but they would most likely dismiss me...)
Answer: You don't have to tell them right away. You can educate them by other ways such as your actions, behaviour etc. BTW, SPAIN was concurred by the Muslims but you can read the history (make sure read from unbiased source).

zedbj

Jazakalla khair, thank you for reading. :)

I suggest, first get to know good practicing Muslims so that you can strengthen your eeman and thus your ability to stand the reaction of your parents when the time come.:salah:

zedbj

Dear brother
Read this book, "Daughter of Another Path, experience of American Woman Choosing Islam" by Carol L. Anway. May be you can pick up few tips how to handle your parents.

:salah:
Jazakallah khair

bobkidi

Actually you are already muslim when you agree with heart there are no others god but Allah(God) and you agree Muhammad SAW is final God messenger. But you have to make it formal by saying infront of your Imam. Asalamualaikum ... may Allah strength your/me iman day by day

p/s: 'Asalamualaikum' is a doa(pray), mean May 'peace' be upon you <--- is not a normal greeting, its very beautiful indeed

Zayna85908

When I was taking shahada the Imam told me to say the words after him. So he said some words i repeated it and then i said it in english. You can get Qurans that are in your own language. You do need to learn by heart some verses of the quran so you can pray. Do u know how to pray?

happy 2 b muslim

salam alaykum

Alhumduillah we live at a time where it is easy to look up center thing in the religious by different means like you said you dont know arabic neither do i am from africa so i learn the quarn from shaykhs/imans from the computer even on youtube if you put in alafasy quran would come up and learn from there. To you question have you toke your shadaha have you said it you can say it by your self in a room because it between you and allah and inshallah it will be accepted you dont have to know arabic to say the shadaha, however you have to say it in arabic.

YOUR FAMILY.............hmmm

It hard to say because A) i dont know your family peronally to know how they will react to the news B) allah bless me to be within a family of muslim so i may not come up with the best method But ill try to put my self into your shoes inshallah. You can hint to them how they feel about the religion you can do this come in one day and be like " erm you know one of my friends turned muslim i was shock what do think about it" AM saying i dont know if it will work inshallah youll find a way ill make dua for you bro. :tti_sister::hijabi:

hope you are all in good health..................inshallah

salam

Thank you all for the helpful replies!:) I have a general idea about what I need to do know thanks to you all, alhamdulilah.

When I was taking shahada the Imam told me to say the words after him. So he said some words i repeated it and then i said it in english. You can get Qurans that are in your own language. You do need to learn by heart some verses of the quran so you can pray. Do u know how to pray?
I do, the washing before praying, and then the order of prayers themselves, I just don't have them memorized in english so it's undoubtedly near impossible to have it memorized in arabic. Probably has to do with me not having prayed with others and I almost can't be bothered to do it at home because the family is almost always here... but once I do it with others it will probably catch on quick.

xSharingan01x

TraVeLer
Thank you all for the helpful replies!:) I have a general idea about what I need to do know thanks to you all, alhamdulilah.

I do, the washing before praying, and then the order of prayers themselves, I just don't have them memorized in english so it's undoubtedly near impossible to have it memorized in arabic. Probably has to do with me not having prayed with others and I almost can't be bothered to do it at home because the family is almost always here... but once I do it with others it will probably catch on quick.
:salam2:
I suggest you go to a local Masjid and have a discussion with the Imam.
Insallah he will be able to help with basic information, such as how to pray, what to say, etc....
Also alot of the Masjid offer Quran classes or Arabic classes that's something you can look into, especially the Quran class. It will teach you how to read the Quran and memorization.
You can start praying by memorizing about 5-6 surahs.
:wasalam:

Shoaib

P.S. If you live in California by any chance send me a PM

sha587

Shahid abdullah
:salam2: Brother

First of all Allah bless you to become a Muslim.

Yes, it is good to take shahadah in mosque so other people would know you and they can help you.

It is better to learn from people who has knowledge.

Yes you can take shahadah. You just need to say this
"I testify that there are none worthy of worship except Allah, and I testify that Muhammad is the messenger of Allah."

Brother even your parents are non Muslim but they have so many rights in Islam that it is impossible to break with them until there is not a serious issue. Abu hurara(RA) is very famous follower of prophet(SAW). His mother was non-Muslim and she often say words against the messenger of Allah but Abu hurara(RA) never broke with her and eventually she became Muslim. They were taking care of you and now you are going to enter into the paradise of Islam. Dont you think your parents have right to enter into this paradise? But if there is some serious issue than situation is different.

Brother welcome to this forum. If you have any problem discuss with us. Its really great to see people like you come here and please us by entering Islam.