if someone knock at the door whilst praying

Ibraheem.lan

:astag:if someone knock at the door whilst praying,
face this state, tell me what to do?
if I open the door,is my salat invalidate?

muslimah-2k8

Ruling on stopping one’s prayer if something serious happens

If I am praying and someone knocks at the door, and there is no one else in the house, what should I do? If I stop praying, am I sinning?

Praise be to Allaah.

If a prayer is naafil (supererogatory), there is more room for manoeuvre, and it is o.k. to stop praying in order to find out who is at the door. But in the case of a fard (obligatory) prayer, it is not permissible to stop it unless there is something important which one is afraid of missing. If it is possible to alert someone else, by saying “Subhan-Allaah” out loud in the case of men and clapping in the case of women, so that the person at the door will realize that the person in the house is busy praying, that will do away with any need to stop praying. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever is alarmed by anything whilst praying, let men say ‘Subhan-Allaah’ and let women clap.” (Agreed upon. Al-Bukhaari, 1234; Muslim, 421).

If it is possible to let the person who is at the door realize that the person inside the house is praying, by clapping in the case of women and saying ‘Subhan-Allaah’ in the case of men, whilst still praying, this will save you from having to stop the prayer. If that will not work, because one is too far away from the door or the person outside will not be able to hear, then it is o.k. to stop the prayer if necessary, especially if it is a naafil prayer. But in the case of an obligatory prayer, if it is something important or necessary, and there is the fear of missing it, it is also o.k. to stop the prayer, and to repeat it from the beginning.

Praise be to Allaah.

Movement while praying and preventing someone from passing

What should one do if one is distracted during the prayer by something happening in one’s environment, such as someone knocking on the door, or a child in danger, e.g. playing with an electrical outlet, etc., perhaps requiring him to move?

If a person praying needs to do something relatively minor during prayer, like opening a door and the like, it is OK as long as his direction does not change from the qibla (direction of prayer). The evidence for this is what Abu Dawood narrated that Aa'isha (may Allah be pleased with her), said, "The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him), used to pray with the door closed, so I arrived and asked him to open it, so he came and opened it and returned to his prayer" (the narrator mentioned that the door was in the direction of the qibla).

The same is true if a mother needed, while praying, to save her child from danger or harm and the like—small movement to the right or left, or forward or backward, does not harm the prayer. Similarly if the ridaa’ (upper body cover) falls off, the praying person can pick it up and if the izar (lower body cover) became loose, then he can tighten it up. The sharia (laws of Islam) have allowed for the praying person in some cases excessive movement even if he were to change direction from qibla, as evident in the hadith of Abu Huraira, (may Allah be pleased with him), where he said: "The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him), said: ‘Kill the two black things while in prayer: the snake and scorpion.

Also, preventing a person from passing in the place of prostration by pushing (or even fighting him if he insists) is prescribed, as related in Bukhari from hadith Abi Saleh Al-Samman, who said: "I saw Aba Saeed Al-Khudri on Friday praying with something in front of him to protect him from [passing] people, and a young man from Bani Abi Muaet wanted to pass in front of him in the place of prostration. So Abu Saeed pushed the man’s chest, so the man looked [around] and did not find any place from which to walk except in front of him, so he tried to pass in front of him again. Abu Saeed pushed him harsher than the first time, so he cursed Abu Saeed. Then the young man went to Marwan and complained about Abu Saeed’s action and Abu Saeed entered after him at Marwan’s place so Marwan said: ‘What is the matter with you, doing that to your brother’s son oh Abu Saeed.?’ He said: ‘I heard the Prophet (peace be upon him) saying: "If one of you prays with something in front of him protecting him from [passing] people, and someone wants to pass in front of him, then he should push him, and if he refuses to [turn back], then fight him, for he is a shaitan (satan)."

P.S.: I hope the above verdicts clarify the issue. There is no contradiction in both the verdicts.

abuayesha

:wasalam:

Jaza akumullaahu khairan sister Muslimah for the lead. Could you please give the address of the Web?

Wassalaam