In what language was christianity revealed?

al-muslimah

Salam Alaycoum everyone,

As we know that the quran was revealed in the Arabic language, but what about the christian faith? whats its original language? english? Have no idea...

thankyou in advance :)

Mixedup

Hi al-muslimah

From what I remember the old testament was written in Hebrew and the New Testament in Greek.
Hope this helps
Jo

Rosheen

Sister in Islam
I am sure the second half of Bible was written after the death of Jesus.

Just for info....Jesus spoke Aramaic an ancient language that has gone out of use.

The first part of the Bible, Old Testament would have been in Hebrew, as it is the Torah.

Waseem203

Young Muslim
I am sure the second half of Bible was written after the death of Jesus.

Just for info....Jesus spoke Aramaic an ancient language that has gone out of use.

The first part of the Bible, Old Testament would have been in Hebrew, as it is the Torah.

The old testament of the Bible was written in Hebrew, this portion is called the Jewish Bible. The New testament was written mainly in Koine Greek with some extracts of Aramaic, the alleged language of the Messiah. Most scholars agree that the Allah subhanna wa ta'ala revealed the Torah to Moses in the Hebrew tongue. As for the period of Jesus AS time, most have a silent opinion. My PERSONAL thought is that it was possible that most revelations were in the three semitic languages Arabic , Aramaic and Hebrew, considering that they are closely releated and devoloped at around the same time period. By the way, Aramaic has one million speakers in Syria, Lebanon and Palestine.

diane_k

Side bar....I took my husband to see The Passion of Christ and when Aramaic was spoken he understood even though he speaks arabic....so there is a lot of similarities. I found that INTERESTING.

saif

The old testament of the Bible was written in Hebrew, this portion is called the Jewish Bible. The New testament was written mainly in Koine Greek with some extracts of Aramaic, the alleged language of the Messiah. Most scholars agree that the Allah subhanna wa ta'ala revealed the Torah to Moses in the Hebrew tongue. As for the period of Jesus AS time, most have a silent opinion. My PERSONAL thought is that it was possible that most revelations were in the three semitic languages Arabic , Aramaic and Hebrew, considering that they are closely releated and devoloped at around the same time period. By the way, Aramaic has one million speakers in Syria, Lebanon and Palestine.

I just want to add a few more point to brother waseem's post. There is no reason to believe, that Jesus spoke to his people in any other language than Aramaic. So the revealed word of God was most probably in Aramaic. The authors of the new testament, however, wrote everything in Greek because Greeks were their addressees. Most of the letters of Paul, for example, were addressed to Greeks. Moral of the story is, even though it is said, the original texts of the new testament were in Greek, they should be considered as translations with no original manuscripts. This is because they were writing about events which took place one or two centuries before and were telling others about the words, which were originally spoken in Aramaic, but because their addressees were Greeks, the translation was happening in their minds. The words like father for God and children of God for the believers should be seen in this context.

ShyHijabi

Salaam,

Just ti clear up a few things, Aramaic is actually still spoken in certain areas of the world. I had no idea until I was walking down the hall one day in med school and actually heard something very akin to Hebrew and realized she was chatting on the cell phone in what I thought was a "dead" language. She informed me she was coptic Christian and that Aramaic was still spoken in parts of her country.

Aramaic is basically ancient Hebrew and I was able to understand the bulk of what she was saying.

Brother Abdul Musa'ir,
That last link was posted by someone banned from the boards. His beliefs were....deviated to put it politely. He came back in many incarnations on this board and accussed me of being a "fake" Muslim and a Jewish spy. Use caution when posting "sources."

Wasalaam

~Sarah

ShyHijabi

Sarah, why don't you go to Indonesia? Assalamu'alaikum wa rahmatullaah

A few reasons :)

1. No money to travel
2. I don't know anyone there or the language
3. I am pretty content in the US with the goal of being a physician some day.

al-muslimah

akhi Abdul Musa'ir inshallah ill have a look through the links you gave me. thankyou
Jazakom allahu khayran everyone for all your information :)