ingenunity of Hadhrat Ali (radhiallahu anhu):

unique_princess

AlQudsu tunadeena
The following episode illustrates the intelligence and ingenunity of Hadhrat Ali (radhiallahu anhu):

Two companions along the journey sat down to eat. The one has five bread rolls and the other had three. A passer-by, on the invitation of two companions, joined them. After eating, the generous passer-by presented them with eight dirhams (silver coins). The traveler who had three bread rolls requested his companion to share the money equally between them. The companion refused, saying that he was entitled to five dirhams since he had five bread rolls. The other one should receive three dirhams because he had three rolls. When they could not settle this dispute, the presented their case to Hadhrat Ali (radhiallahu anhu) who said to the one who had three bread rolls:

“What haram is there if you accept this division of three and five?”

He replied: “I want justice.”

Hadhrat Ali:

“If it is justice you want, then you take one dirham and your companion seven dirhams.”

The companion with three bread rolls objected. Hadhrat Ali (radhiallahu anhu) commented:

“There were eight rolls and three who ate, hence each person ate one third of the eight rolls. Eight consists of 24 third. Thus each one ate eight parts. However, his three rolls consistes of 9 parts (thirds). After having consumed his 8 parts there remained one part of his share. The one with five rolls had 15 parts (thirds) of which he ate 8, leaving behind 7 parts. The 8 dirhams have, therefore, to be divided in this proportion the one who contributed one part of his bread has to receive in dirham and the one who contributed 7 parts should receive 7 dirhams.”

unique_princess

AlQudsu tunadeena
Once Hadhrat Ahmad Bin Hambal (rahmatullah alayhi) was making wudhu on the banks of a river. Another man sitting on higher level, was also making wudhu. When he realised who was sitting on a lower level, he moved from his position, taking up a place lower than the position of Imam Ahmad Bin Hambal (rahmatullah alayhi).

After the man’s death someone saw him in a dream and enquired about his condition. He replied:

“One day I was making wudhu on the river bank where Imam Ahmad Bin Hambal (rahmatullah alayhi) was also making wudhu sitting on a lower level. My water was flowing in his direction. In respect for the Imam I went to sit lower down. When I was ushered into the Divine court for a reckoning I was informed that I was being forgiven solely on account of having honoured an accept servant of Allah Ta’ala.”

Hadhrat Thanvi (rahmatullah alayhi) commented:

“When forgiveness is obtained on the basis of pretexts, then how is it possible to regard anyone with contempt? In my opinion only such person will be punished, who themselves desire to be punished. They rebelliously refuse to be repentant.”

unique_princess

AlQudsu tunadeena
In the army of Gwaliar was a Muslim soldier who was clean-shaven. Other Muslim soldiers always criticized him for shving his beard. However, he ignored their criticism and never kept a beard. Coincidentally, the king ordered that henceforth, all soldiers will have to be clean-shaven.

The other told him:

“Now you may rejoice. All have to be like you.”

He replied:

“Until now I refrained from keeping a beard on account of the mischief of my nafs. Now I shall not abstain from a Law of the Shari’ah because of an order of a kifar king. I shall rather work elsewhere as a labourer.”

He resigned and grew a beard while the others who had criticized him, shaved their beards. It appears in the Ahaadith the whoever criticizes another person’s action, adopting a holier than thou attitude, will not die before having committed the same misdeed. Only Allah Ta’ala was aware of his heart’s condition.