Insects, bugs, creatures

Believer1985

:salam2:

I've wondered about this for a long time, so I decided to create this thread.

We've all come across that particular insect, big or small, creep out from somewhere in our house or tentatively watched one climbing walls, etc. Not everyone is the hugest fans of these, and some people kill them.

My question is...is it a sin for us kill insects? I've heard people say that it is a sin to kill spiders. I've also heard people say that one is rewarded for killing lizards. What is the actual ruling on this? I'd really like to know.

:wasalam:

PeArLL

-Quiet Member-

This might be helpful:

Is it permissible to kill insects that may be found in the house, such as ants, cockroaches and the like, by burning them? If it is not permissible, what should we do?

If these insects are harmful, they may be killed with insecticides, but not with fire. The Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There are five pests that may be killed whether one is in ihraam or not: rats, scorpions, crows, kites [a hawk-like bird], and mad dogs.” (Reported by Muslim, 2071). Another report adds a sixth, snakes. Thus the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told us that they are harmful pests, and that they are unlike other animals which do not do harm, and so he told us to kill them whether we are in ihraam or not. If other creatures, such as ants or cockroaches or dung-beetles, cause harm, they may also be killed with insecticides, but not with fire. And Allaah knows best.

Fataawa Islaamiyaah, Ibn Baaz, 451.

strive-may-i

When it comes to killing snakes, Not all Snakes are to be harmed, the ones that are confronting... or have known to caused harm.

Believer1985

Salam,

Many thanks for your replies. What is "ihraam"?

Many insects, like the common spider or cockroach, are not harmful but definitely are scary. Would it be haram to kill them? I've seen people suck them up a Hoover machine, or stamp on them...

Salam

PeArLL

-Quiet Member-

When it comes to killing snakes, Not all Snakes are to be harmed, the ones that are confronting... or have known to caused harm.

I found this Hadith on snakes:

From Muslim's collection of Hadith Book 026, Number 5558:

Asma' b. 'Ubaid reported about a person who was called as-Sa'ib having said: We visited Abu Sa'id Khudri. When we had been sitting (with him) we heard a stir under his bed. When we looked we found a big snake, the rest of the hadith is the same. And in this Allah's Messenger (PBUH) is reported to have said: Verily in these houses there live aged (snakes), so when you see one of them, make life hard for it for three days, and if it goes away (well and good), otherwise kill it for (in that case) it would be a nonbeliever. And he (the Holy Prophet) said (to his Companions): Go and bury your companion (who had died by the snake bite).

PeArLL

-Quiet Member-
Salam,

Many thanks for your replies. What is "ihraam"?

Many insects, like the common spider or cockroach, are not harmful but definitely are scary. Would it be haram to kill them? I've seen people suck them up a Hoover machine, or stamp on them...

Salam

I got this definition from a website:

Ihram is a sacred state which a Muslim must enter in order to perform the Hajj or Umrah.

Ihram is not just about the clothes you put on, its about a state of being you put yourself in before entering the sacred territory intending to perform Hajj or Umrah.

If they are harmful, then they can be killed... But, you can't just kill them because they look scary or creepy...