Intention innovation

Ladybug3478

Salam,

The following is copied from...http://www.islamway.com/english/images/prayer/pray1.htm

The Right Way To Pray

1- Intention

The prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) used to say:

All actions are by intention, and every man shall have what he intended.
Note: You shouldn't say the intention by mouth cause it is Innovation. Make it in your heart

My question is about the note highlighted in 'blue'. Please explain to me how an intention becomes innovation once spoken? Thanks.

Wa'Salam

IbnAdam77

Travelling towards my grave.
Salam,

The following is copied from...http://www.islamway.com/english/images/prayer/pray1.htm

The Right Way To Pray

1- Intention

The prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) used to say:

All actions are by intention, and every man shall have what he intended.
Note: You shouldn't say the intention by mouth cause it is Innovation. Make it in your heart

My question is about the note highlighted in 'blue'. Please explain to me how an intention becomes innovation once spoken? Thanks.

Wa'Salam

wa'alaikumussalam warahmatullahi wabarakatuh my respected sister in Islam.

Hope everything is going well with you.

As per the question you have asked, first we need to know what is innovation.

Rasoolullah (sallallahu 'alaihi wasallam) said, "Beware of matters newly begun, for every matter newly begun is innovation, every innovation is misguidance, and every misguidance is in hell."

Therefore, innovation is anything which is newly formed and used as a part of Deen, which Rasoolullah (sallallahu 'alaihi wasallam) did not do. Islam is completed before 1400 years and anything which are included to it after that, is a Bid'ah (Innovation).

Allah (subuhaanahu wata'aala) revealed this Ayah on the day Rasoolullah (sallallahu 'alaihi wasallam) gave the Khutbathul 'Arafah in his Hajj. " ..This day, I have perfected your religion for you, completed My favor upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion." Surah al-Ma'idhah (5:3).

Also Rasoolullah (sallallahu 'alaihi wasallam) said, "Whosoever originates an innuendo in this matter of ours [i.e., Islam] that is not a part of it, will have it rejected."

So when we read Niyah (intention) by mouth, it is an Innovation. Why? 'Ulama says because Rasoolullah (sallallahu 'alaihi wasallam) did not read the Niyah by mouth. It is necessary to have a proper Niyah in heart when we do any kind of 'Ibadah (Worship).

Let me make it very simple to wipe out any confusion. When we leave the computer and go to make Wudu (Ablution) to do 'Asr prayer, we already have made our intention. How? We left the computer for what? To make Wudu. For what? To make Salatul 'Asr. So the Niyah is already made and we do not need to say the Niyah by mouth again. :)

Hope this is simple and clear my sister.

wassalam 'alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

a_stranger

:salam2:

I am not a schollar but i shall tell about what i feel concering this matter: I think that sincerity has a very important role in Islam that is why intention is kept as a sercert between the servant an his Lord, no need to move our lips Allah swt knows what is in our hearts.

samiha

---------
Staff member

I think brother IbnAdam77's post cleared up for why it was Bid'ah mashaAllaah - but to add to that I wanted to place the words of one of the great Muslim scholars of the past, May Allaah have mercy on him:

Ibn Taimiyyah (rahimahullaah) said (Majmoo'at-ur-Rasaa-il il-Kubraa 1/243): "The place of the niyyah is the heart and not the tongue in all forms of 'ibaadah - and that is agreed upon by all the Muslim scholars - Purification, Prayer, Zakaat, Sawm, Hajj, 'Itq (freeing of slaves), Jihaad, etc. If he were to express with his tongue other than that which he intended in his heart - then what he intended is counted, not what he said. If he voiced the intention with his tongue and the intention was not in his heart, that will not count - by total agreement of all the scholars of Islaam - so the niyyah is the firm intention and resolve itself."

wasalam

Nurain

Asalamu alaykum sis

It's very easy. When you are going to do something, you know what you are going to do it. Sometimes even people around you knows what you are going to do! For example, you are going to eat, you dont say verbally, "I would like to eat this food blah etc. for the sake of Allaah". GOSH. That is a bit whack isn't it?

In fact, if you were about to pray and someone bothers you, you will be bound to say, "Not now i'm praying." YOU know your intention best and you needn't say out loud: "I intend to pray 4 raka'ah of 'Asr blah blah."

This verbally saying intention out stems from the waswas (doubt) which is the shaitan wanting to confuse us. We know what we are doing best, and Allaah knows best.

Abdullah77

I memorized niyah for different salah and was saying it. But not any more. Thank you for saving me from an innovation. May Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala
reward you.