Intro to the book 'Supporting the rights of the believing women'

UmmTaymiyyah

Assalamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,

I said last week that I would try and post some information from the book 'Supporting the rights of the believing women' written by Umm Salamah As-Salafiyyah.
Insha Allah I will start tonight by giving some information about Umm Salamah as told by The major scholar Ash-Shaykh Muqbil Bin Haadee Al-Waadi'ee Rahimahullaah.

'' I am familiar with what the author, Umm Salamah bint 'Alee Al-'Abaasee has written entitled Al-Intisaaru li Huqooqee al- Mu'minaat (supporting the rights of the believing women). I found it to be a beneficial book, as it contains verses from the Book of Allah and traditions from the Messenger of Allaah, sallallahu alayhi wa sallam. The Qur'aan and the Sunnah are beneficial knowledge. Whoever does not seek guidance from then will not find guidance in anything else as our Lord subhaanahu wa ta'ala says:

(translated to mean)
''In what other speech except Allah and His proofs will you believe?''
(sooratul-Jaathiyyah 45:6)

She performed a great duty in selecting the topic of the believing women's rights. Many people are neglectful in this area, or they leave it off altogether. Therefore, she reminded the fathers, close male family members, and husbands about what Allah has made obligatory upon them, as well as what He has strongly suggested for them to do. Allaah subhaanahu wa ta'ala says:

(translated to mean)
''Oh you who believe, save yourselves and your family from a fire which is fueled by men and stones.''
(sooratut-Tahreem 66:6)

Verily in the author are gathered some praiseworthy traits: these include abstaining from worldly pleasures, exemplary character, spreading beneficial knowledge, and not wasting her time. She spends her time by herself in the women's library, substitute teaching for Umm 'Abdillaah Al-Waadi'iyyah when she is absent, and effective lecturing.

Verily the islamic community is in great need of righteous women who can care for their Muslim sisters so that the corrupted and corrupting callers do not lead them astray. The wives of the Prophet sallallahu alayhi wa sallam as well as the female companions played a major role in spreading the prophetic traditions.

In conclusion, I advise the author and her sisters to make a great effort in spreading beneficial knowledge from the Noble Qur'aan, the prophetic traditions, and the 'Arabic Language, to become knowledgable in Allaah's Religion, to place an importance on spreading that knowledge by writing and inviting to Allaah, and teaching the ignorant women. If Allaah guides one woman by your hand, it is better for you than a red camel.

May Allah firmly establish us all on what He loves and pleases Him.

Aboo 'Abdir-Rahmaan Muqbil bin Haadee Al-Waadi'ee.

Also this is something which Umm Salamah states in her introduction to the book:
''These limits and legal standards do not oppress women, nor do they make her less than what she is; rather , if we reflect upon them, we find that they vindicate the woman and protect her extremely well. These limits are in opposition to those who call for giving the woman what they consider complete freedom. Is unveiling herself and calling attention to herself by stamping her feet and exposing herself to the corruption and vileness of human devils freeing her?Is going to work and to toil by women, mixing with me outside the house, and abandoning her home and children freeing her? Is her leaving the house to join parliament and congress and the military and the police freeing her? Rather , by Allaah this is true injustice and oppression for the woman. Allaah, the Possessor of Might and Majesty, knows best and is wisest and more merciful to her than her own self. He has guided to what vindicates, protects, and dignifies he in this life and in the Hereafter.

Nothing endures except following the Book and the Sunnah. They are the foundations in establishing a happy community upon co-operation, mercy, piety, and togetherness; and Allah is the One from who we seek aid.

UmmTaymiyyah

Supporting the rights of the believing women- Umm Salamah As-Salafiyyah
Excess in Mahr (Dowry)

The problem of the excessive dowry is one of the greatest problems that our young men and women suffer. The man desires to marry and the woman desires to marry but the excessive dowry is a huge barrier between them.

Rather, the woman has become a commodity that the fathers do business with however they want. So fear Allah O you fathers! Do you wish that your daughter became like a sheep that is bought and sold? Fear Allah! she is a trust on your neck and you will be asked about this trust on the Day of judgement.

Ahlul sunnah Wal-Jamaa'ah pays attention to this matter, addresses it, and advises about it.

''Whoever establishes a good tradition in Islaam will get the reward for it and the reward for everyone who practices it until the Day of judgement with no decrease in his reward''

'Alee ibn 'Abdullaah informed us that Sufyaan said to him that he heard Aboo Haazim say that he heard Sahl bin Sa'd as-Saa'idee say: While I was among the people who were with the Messenger of Allaah sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam, a woman stood up and said:

A woman came to Allah's Apostle and said, "O Allah's Apostle! I have come to give you myself in marriage (without Mahr)." Allah's Apostle looked at her. He looked at her carefully and fixed his glance on her and then lowered his head. When the lady saw that he did not say anything, she sat down. A man from his companions got up and said, "O Allah's Apostle! If you are not in need of her, then marry her to me." The Prophet said, "Have you got anything to offer?" The man said, "No, by Allah, O Allah's Apostle!" The Prophet said (to him), "Go to your family and see if you have something." The man went and returned, saying, "No, by Allah, I have not found anything." Allah's Apostle said, "(Go again) and look for something, even if it is an iron ring." He went again and returned, saying, "No, by Allah, O Allah's Apostle! I could not find even an iron ring, but this is my Izar (waist sheet)." He had no rida. He added, "I give half of it to her." Allah's Apostle said, "What will she do with your Izar? If you wear it, she will be naked, and if she wears it, you will be naked." So that man sat down for a long while and then got up (to depart). When Allah's Apostle saw him going, he ordered that he be called back. When he came, the Prophet said, "How much of the Quran do you know?" He said, "I know such Sura and such Sura," counting them. The Prophet said, "Do you know them by heart?" He replied, "Yes." The Prophet said, "Go, I marry her to you for that much of the Quran which you have''
(Imam Al bukhaaree Rahimahullaah titled a chapter in his saheeh: ''Chapter:Marriage for the Qur'an and those without other dowry''

On the authority of Abee Salamah ibn 'Abdir-Rahmaan who said:
I asked 'Aa'ishah, the wife of the Prophet sallallahu alayhi wa sallam '' How much was the dowry of the Messenger of Allaah when he married you?'' She said: ''It was twelve 'Uqiyah and one Nash.'' She said: ''Do you know what a Nash is ?'' I said: ''No'' She said: ''It is half of an 'Uqiyah, which is equal to five hundred Dirhams, and that was the dowry that the Messenger of Allaah sallallahu alayhi wa sallam gave to his wives.''

On the authority of Ibn 'Abbaas May Allah have mercy on him, who said:

When 'Alee married Faatimah, the Messenger of Allaah sallallahu alayhi wa sallam said to him,
''Have you given her anything as dowry? He said: ''I do not have anything to give.'' He said: ''Where is your broken armour?'' (sahih muslim)

On the authority of Anas ibn Maalik , that the prophet sallallahu alayhi wa sallam saw the traces of yellow on 'Abdir-Rahman ibn 'Awf and said:

''What is this?'' He said: ''O Messenger of Allaah, I have married a woman for a stone's weight of gold.'' So, he said to him, ''May Allaah bless you. Offer a wedding feast even if it were with only one sheep.'' (Sahih Al-Bukhaari and Sahih Muslim)