Is celebrating brithday haram?

whitecat

:bismillah:
:salam2:
sisters and brothers i want to know is celebrating a birthday is haram? is it ok to give gifts on the day of birthday?
please answer according to islam not ur opnions:biggrin:
:jazaak: :wasalam:
:tti_sister: :tti_sister: :tti_sister: :tti_sister: :tti_sister:

jameelah-va

asalaamu alaikum,

The Ruling Concerning Celebrating Birthdays.
Question:

What is the ruling concerning celebrating birthdays?
Answer:

Celebrating birthdays has no source whatsoever in the pure shariah. In fact, it is an innovation, since the Messenger of Allah (sallallaahu ‘alaihi-wasallam) said,
“Whoever introduces anything into this matter of ours that does not belong to it shall have it rejected.”

This was recorded by al-Bukhari and Muslim. In a version recorded by Muslim and by al-Bukhari in definitive muallaq form.

"Whoever performs a deed which is not in accord with our affairs, that deed is rejected.”

It is well-known that the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alaihi-wasallam) did not celebrate his birthday at all during his lifetime nor did he ever order it to be celebrated. Nor did he teach such to his Companions. Therefore, the rightly-guided caliphs and all of his Companions did not celebrate it. They are the most knowledgeable of the people concerning his sunnah and they are the most beloved to the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alaihi-wasallam). They were also the most keen upon following whatever the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alaihi-wasallam) brought. Therefore, if one is supposed to celebrate the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alaihi-wasallam) birthday, this would have been made evident at their time. Similarly, not one of the scholars of the best of generations celebrated his birthday nor did they order it to be done.

Therefore, it is known from the above that such a celebration is not from the Law that Allah sent Muhammed (sallallaahu ‘alaihi-wasallam) with. We ask Allah and all Muslims to witness that if the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alaihi-wasallam) had done so or ordered such to be done, or even if the Companions had done so, we would rush to do it and call others to do it. This is because, and all praises are due to Allah, we are the most keen in following his sunnah and respecting his commands and prohibitions. We ask Allah, for ourselves and for all our brethren Muslims, steadfastness upon the truth, avoiding everything that differs from Allah’s pure shariah. Verily, He is Generous and Noble.

Shaykh `Abdul-`Azeez Bin Baz

whitecat

Thanks sis Jabba:blackhijab:

i find answer for this question on other website just posting to share with u people.

Question:
what is the evidence on celebrating birthdays,is it allowed in islam?

Answer:

The evidence in the Qur’aan and Sunnah indicates that celebrating birthdays is a kind of bid’ah or innovation in religion, which has no basis in the pure sharee’ah. It is not permitted to accept invitations to birthday celebrations, because this involves supporting and encouraging bid’ah. Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted, says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Or have they partners with Allaah (false gods) who have instituted for them a religion which Allaah has not allowed…?” [al-Shoora 42:21]

“Then We have put you (O Muhammad) on a plain way of (Our) commandment. So follow that, and follow not the desires of those who know not. Verily, they can avail you nothing against Allaah (if He wants to puish you). Verily, the zaalimoon (wrongdoers) are awliyaa’ (protectors, helpers, etc.) to one another, but Allaah is the Wali (Protector, Helper) of the muttaqoon (pious).” [al-Jaathiyah 45:18-19]

“Follow what has been sent down unto you from your Lord, and follow not any awliyaa’ (protectors, helpers, etc.) besides Him. Little do you remember!” [al-A’raaf 7:3]

According to saheeh reports, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever does something that is a not part of this matter of ours (i.e., Islam) will have it rejected” (reported by Muslim in his Saheeh); and “The best of speech is the Book of Allaah and the best of guidance is the guidance of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). The most evil of things are those which have been newly invented (in religion), and every innovation is a going astray.” There are many other ahaadeeth that convey the same meaning.

Besides being bid’ah and having no basis in sharee’ah, these birthday celebrations also involve imitation of the Jews and Christians in their birthday celebrations. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, warning us against following their ways and traditions: “You would follow the ways of those who came before you step by step, to such an extent that if they were to enter a lizard’s hole, you would enter it too.” They said, “O Messenger of Allaah, (do you mean) the Jews and Christians?” He said, “Who else?” (Reported by al-Bukhaari and Muslim). The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) also said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.”(/font>

http://islamqa.com/index.php?ref=1027&ln=eng&txt=birthday

http://islamqa.com/index.php?pg=rslt&txt=birthday&st=0&fld=1&pglist=10&ln=eng

Proud2BeHumble

Seek Truth, Be Happy

Apart from above replies, it is well known that islam stands for simplicity and wastage of money or resources is to be avoided. For those who beleive that this life of world is the only life, each extra year of their life is a reason to celebrate.

However, for us who beleive in hereafter, as we grow older one extra year, we have to remember that our death is one one extra year nearer. So, what is there to celebrate in it?

As for children ,get-together and cooking nice food for them can be done on any day of the year randomly and why to choose a special day to make it innovation.

Rather, one must fast and do more zikr as life pass by.

Wasalam

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best
However, for us who beleive in hereafter, as we grow older one extra year, we have to remember that our death is one one extra year nearer. So, what is there to celebrate in it?

Salam Alaikum

Celebrating one year closer to death, to me is celebrating on yr closer to entering Jannah inshAllah.

There are obviously diffrent opinions on this subject, I'd say just read all of them then use your better judgement inshAllah

Proud2BeHumble

Seek Truth, Be Happy

I am sorry if i said something bad. I am not judging anyone, sister. I am nither promoting nor rejecting this or your opinion but what i said was simply my opinion. I feel that way better.

No body is sure who will enter Jannah, so how can we celebrate it before knowing.

Sorry again if i wrote illogical.

Wasalam

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best

I am sorry if i said something bad. I am not judging anyone, sister. I am nither promoting nor rejecting this or your opinion but what i said was simply my opinion. I feel that way better.

No body is sure who will enter Jannah, so how can we celebrate it before knowing.

Sorry again if i wrote illogical.

Wasalam

Salam Alaikum

Oh don't be sorry, I didn't mean anything like that. I really like and respect you're previous post I was actually going to say that before....so I'm sorry too

wa salam

Albint_Almuslima

Im Proud 2 B Me!

Celebrating Birthdays</B>
by Moulana Abdul Hamid Ishaq, Principal - Madrasah Arabia Islamia, Azaadville
Edited

[FONT=Verdana,Arial]It is not necessary that everything the West does is according to logic. The biggest proof that it is the invention of the west are the song words without which this function is not complete viz. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial]'Happy birthday to you.' No one says, 'Happy birthday celebration' or 'Happy Blessed birthday' or any other words of this kind. This disease of celebrating birthdays was never prevalent among Muslims before, but since Muslims started living alongside the non-Muslims, they have been influenced by them. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial]
Birthdays are celebrated usually at the end of a year and not at the beginning of the year. For example, if one's birth date is on the 1st of January, then the birthday will be celebrated on the 1st of January and not the 2nd of January. Now just ponder, what intelligence is there in celebrating and showing happiness when a year has decreased in one's life. During a birthday celebration, candles are lit on a cake, amounting to the years of the one's life.

He extinguishes these candles by blowing them out and all present clap their hands. Hands are clapped at two occasions only, one at the time of joy for some achievement of his. Secondly, when someone acts foolishly, then to mock at him.

Here a person is extinguishing the rays of the years of his life by blowing them out himself. Then this is no happiness, nor is it any achievement. So the clapping of hands is only for mocking at this person's stupidity. Ponder that this is a custom and sign of non-believers. When it is someone's birthday, one year of his life has decreased, and not increased.

This world is a field to work for the hereafter. Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Ãlayhi Wasallam)'s Ummah has been sent in this world for a very great object. The example of this world is like a king who sends a few people into his treasure room saying that shortly he will send them out, so at that time whatever they will be possessing will be their property. Inside the treasure room, on one side there are heaps of gold and silver, on another side are lying pearls and jewels, then at another place in the room, delicious food and soft beds are arranged. Now some people think that the king may send them out any minute. They quickly gather the gold, silver, pearls and gems. They feel they will go out from there and organise the food and beds for themselves afterwards.

There is another group of people who think that they have just arrived. They feel, 'Let us enjoy the food, then lay down to rest. After that we will take from the treasures. There is ample time.' So they eat, sleep and pass their valuable time without taking from the treasures. Suddenly the king sends everyone out. Now those who had collected the valuables can enjoy their lives eating and sleeping while those that wasted their time and did not accumulate anything will begin to regret.

Every moment of this worldly life is very valuable. Here we have to earn for the long and everlasting life of the hereafter.
Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Ãlayhi Wasallam) has said that after entering into Jannat, the people of Jannat will not be sorry about anything of this world, except for that moment which was spent without the remembrance of Allah. It is apparent that when reward will be granted for remembrance of Allah in this world which is an abode of actions, then one must surely feel very regretful, that if they should have spent more time in the remembrance of Allah, they could be worthy of more rewards.

Hafiz Zain Siqti asked Hafiz Jurjani the reason for swallowing dry flour to which he replied that when he compared the time of swallowing dry flour and chewing roti then, in chewing so much time is spent in which say 70 times Subhanalla can be uttered. Therefore he left eating roti for the last 40 years.

How can it be permissible to waste time by celebrating birthdays and becoming happy that a big slice of one's life is put behind? This world is a prison for the believer and a Jannat for the disbeliever. Allah has bought the life and wealth of the believers for Jannat. This life is a trust of Allah by us. Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Ãlayhi Wasallam) said, 'A person will not be able to move from his place, until he does not reply to five questions:
  1. How did you spend your life?
  2. How did you spend your youth?
  3. Where did you earn your wealth from?
  4. Where did you spend your wealth?
  5. How much did you act upon your knowledge?'
A person who is concerned of replying to these questions, how can he show happiness upon the years of his life decreasing? Besides all this, Islam does not permit waste. This is the reason that the poor of this Ummat will enter Jannat 500 years before the wealthy, because the wealthy will be delayed by giving an account of their wealth. By spending on birthday parties, there is no benefit to Islam nor to the poor.
It is stated in a Hadith the worst Walima feast is the one in which the poor and destitute are left out and the wealthy are only invited. Another object of the birthday parties is show. Islam encourages simplicity. By this attitude of show, the poor feel inferior and deprived and the rich have a superiority complex.
Also, in these gatherings, music, singing, video filming and the taking of photographs and other un-Islamic and forbidden acts take place. May Allah TaÃla guide us and protect us from all these evils.

[/FONT]

nofel

Asslamoo Alekoom
should be know sis the celbrate by birthday doing like (Kuffar) and our prophet say as meaning (any one will enter with whos love him) that mean should be we r muslems shange our live opesed those kuffar , then that haram.
Allah A'alam (Allah is know)

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best
Asslamoo Alekoom
should be know sis the celbrate by birthday doing like (Kuffar) and our prophet say as meaning (any one will enter with whos love him) that mean should be we r muslems shange our live opesed those kuffar , then that haram.
Allah A'alam (Allah is know)

Salam

Don't say anything is haram unless you have proof, if you have proof plz provide it
thanks

nofel

the berthday Celebrate is Not allowed

should be every muslem know the berthday celebrate is from Unbelievers Custom (kuffar) and our Prophet is say as meaning in hadeth saheh ( Day of Judgment (yaom al qyama) person will Cornered (Enter) (yohsher) with whom is love him) and every muslem know where will be all Kuffar and we dont like to be with them in hell and that mean should be we Disagree them