Is Chicken Haraam?

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....
Nope don't think so. If they're slaughtered according to islamic methods then it's halal. It's not like you eat the chicken with talons still attached.

:wasalam:

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
Chickens are not birds of prey, and therefore they don`t have the same ruling as eagles hawks and falcons. Allah knows best!!

I thought this might be of benefit also:

What is the ruling on eating local chickens when one does not know how they were slaughtered?

Question:
Is it permissible to eat the chicken and meat that are available in restaurants, when I do not know whether they were slaughtered according to Islamic sharee’ah or not?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

It was proven in Saheeh al-Bukhaari from ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) that some people came to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and said: “Some people bring us meat and we do not know whether they mentioned the name of Allaah over it or not.” He said: “Say the name of Allaah yourselves then eat.” I said: They (the people who brought the meat) were new in Islam and they were not sure whether they said the name of Allaah (when slaughtering the meat) or not. So he said: Say the name of Allaah yourself and eat. So it is permissible to eat even if we do not know whether the name of Allaah has been pronounced over the meat or not. Similarly it is permissible to eat even if we do not know whether it was slaughtered in the proper manner or not, because if the action was done by the appropriate people, the basic principle is that it is valid unless there is evidence to the contrary. If there comes to us meat that has been slaughtered by a Muslim, a Jew or a Christian, then we do not ask about it and we do not say, “How was it slaughtered?” or “Was the name of Allaah mentioned over it or not?” It is halaal so long as there is no proof that it is haraam. This is a way in which Allaah has made things easy for us. Otherwise we would have a problem every time some meat was offered to us, and we would have to ask, “Who slaughtered it? Does he pray or not? Did he say the name of Allaah over it or not? Did the blood flow or not?” and so on. But by the grace of Allaah, if an action is done by the appropriate people, then the basic principle is that it is sound and valid unless there is evidence to the contrary.

See As’ilat al-Baab il-Maftooh, vol. 1, p. 77, by Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him).

yusuf

Asalam Alaikum (peace be upon you)

Happy_2ba_muslim

We are allowed to eat meat from the jews !
But not from christians because they believe jesus is god or some believe he is son of god
they dont follow the bible !

yusuf

Brother i dont agree with you

a Muslim, a Jew or a Christian, then we do not ask about it and we do not say, “How was it slaughtered?” or “Was the name of Allaah mentioned over it or not?” It is halaal so long as there is no proof that it is haraam. This is a way in which Allaah has made things easy for us. Otherwise we would have a problem every time some meat was offered to

While it clearly states In the Holy Quran :

Al-Maida 5:2

Forbidden to you (for food) are: dead meat, blood, the flesh of swine, and that on which hath been invoked the name of other than Allah. that which hath been killed by strangling, or by a violent blow, or by a headlong fall, or by being gored to death; that which hath been (partly) eaten by a wild animal; unless ye are able to slaughter it (in due form); that which is sacrificed on stone (altars); (forbidden) also is the division (of meat) by raffling with arrows: that is impiety. This day have those who reject faith given up all hope of your religion: yet fear them not but fear Me. This day have I perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion. But if any is forced by hunger, with no inclination to transgression, Allah is indeed Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful. (A. Yusuf Ali)

Forbidden unto you (for food) are carrion and blood and swineflesh, and that which hath been dedicated unto any other than Allah, and the strangled, and the dead through beating, and the dead through falling from a height, and that which hath been killed by (the goring of) horns, and the devoured of wild beasts, saving that which ye make lawful (by the death-stroke), and that which hath been immolated unto idols. And (forbidden is it) that ye swear by the divining arrows. This is an abomination. This day are those who disbelieve in despair of (ever harming) your religion; so fear them not, fear Me! This day have I perfected your religion for you and completed My favour unto you, and have chosen for you as religion al-Islam. Whoso is forced by hunger, not by will, to sin: (for him) lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful. (M. Pickthall)

Forbidden to you (for food) are: Al-Maytatah (the dead animals - cattle-beast not slaughtered), blood, the flesh of swine, and the meat of that which has been slaughtered as a sacrifice for others than Allah, or has been slaughtered for idols, etc., or on which Allah's Name has not been mentioned while slaughtering, and that which has been killed by strangling, or by a violent blow, or by a headlong fall, or by the goring of horns - and that which has been (partly) eaten by a wild animal - unless you are able to slaughter it (before its death) * and that which is sacrificed (slaughtered) on An*Nusub (stone altars). (Forbidden) also is to use arrows seeking luck or decision, (all) that is Fisqun (disobedience of Allah and sin). This day, those who disbelieved have given up all hope of your religion, so fear them not, but fear Me. This day, I have perfected your religion for you, completed My Favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion. But as for him who is forced by severe hunger, with no inclination to sin (such can eat these above-mentioned meats), then surely, Allah is Oft*Forgiving, Most Merciful. (M. T. Al-Hilali & M. M. Khan)

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
Assalamu alaikum Brother,

First of all that wasn`t my opinion. It was an Islamic scolar`s fatwa who I totally agree with.

Secondly, I don`t see any contradiction between the Quranic verses you brought and his fatwa.

Finally, we are allowed to eat some types of birds. :D

May Allah guide us all to what is right.

ibn azem

Super Moderator
Staff member
Happy_2ba_muslim

But not from christians because they believe jesus is god or some believe he is son of god
:salam2:

Brother, please be careful when you issue fatwas!!
You have brought no proof that the food of the jews is allowed and that of the christians is prohibited!
That is just a contradiction of yourself and issuing answers without knowledge, and we should be careful, as we might give someone that answer and he goes away with it thinking that what you said is correct!

“The food of the People of the Book is lawful unto you and yours is lawful unto them” [Sûrah al-Mâ’idah: 5]

Do you know who the People of the Book are?

wasalaam.

ibn azem

Super Moderator
Staff member
Permissibility of eating meat slaughtered by Christians and Jews

Question:

I have read several articles on what foods are halal and what foods are haraam. But when I go to a restaurant I still [doubt] if what I am eating is halal. I know that the meat needs to be slaughtered in the name of Allah, and it shall be done by the people of the book. Currently in the United States, the Christians and the Jews don't follow the true Bible and the Torah. The Christians call Isa (may Allah be pleased with him) the son of God. Is the meat cut by these people halal, can it be eaten?

Answer:

Al-hamdu lillah (praise be to Allah).al-hamdu lillah (all praise be to Allah). The Christians and the Jews of the People of the Book in our times are indeed those People of the Book that are mentioned in the texts of shari'ah in the Qur'an and sunnah, and they are the kuffar (unbelievers) of the Jews and Christians that existed at the time of the Prophet
saws.gif
(peace be upon him). They are the people of the corrupted Torah and corrputed Injeel, as evidenced by the fact that Allah (swt) addressed them and named them "People of the Book" despite their being kuffar and their books being corrupted, as indicated in the following interpretations of the meanings of the aayaat:

Aala 'imran: 70:
O People of the Book! why do you reject the Signs of Allah, of which you are (yourselves) witnesses?

Al-maa'ida: 15:
O People of the Book! there has come to you Our Messenger, revealing to you much that you used to hide in the Book, and passing over much (that is now unnecessary): There has come to you from Allah a (new) light and a perspicuous Book.

Al-hashr: 2: (in regards to the Battle of Bani al-Nadeer):
It is He Who got out the Unbelievers among the People of the Book from their homes at the first gathering (of the forces)…

These kuffar among the People of the Book have certain abrogating qualities distinguishing them from the rest of the kuffar, by virtue of the fact that they are recipients of heavenly guidance and are people of previously revealed divine books—even though they corrupted them—unlike the remainder of the kuffar who have neither a previous book nor messenger, such as the Hindus, the Sikhs, the Buddhists, the communists, and others.

Because of this distinguishing quality, the shari'ah has specified special rulings particular to the People of the Book, and exceptions specific to them in some rulings, such as allowing marriage to the the chaste and virtuous (whether virgins or previously married) among their women and the permissibility of eating their slaughtered meat, as indicated in the following ayah (interpretation of the meaning):

Maa'ida: 5
This day are (all) things Good and pure made lawful unto you. The food of the People of the Book is lawful unto you and yours is lawful unto them. (Lawful unto you in marriage) are (not only) chaste women who are believers, but chaste women among the People of the Book, revealed before your time, when you give them their due dowers, and desire chastity, not lewdness, nor secret intrigues…

The preceding discussion is in regards to the general ruling with respect to slaughtered meat of the People of the Book; as for the specifics, the slaughtered meat of People of the Book can be one of several cases:
  1. That he slaughters it via the known way specified by shari'ah and he speaks the name of Allah upon it. In this case there is no problem in the permissibility of eating it.
  2. That he does not slaughter it by the way specified by shari'ah as is the case if he chokes it or electrocutes it until it dies or drowns it in water until it dies or kills it by a bullet, etc. In this case there is no doubt that eating it is forbidden since it is maita (meat of an animal that has died without properly being slaughtered) and Allah has forbidden it in the Qur'an (interpretation of the meaning): "… and forbidden unto you is maita…" (al-Maa'ida:3)
  3. That he mentions the name of someone or something other than Allah upon it as he is slaughtering, such as the Messiah or otherwise. Likewise there is no doubt that the meat in this case is haraam, since it is among what has been dedicated to other than Allah, which is specifically forbidden in the ayah in surat al-Maa'ida: 3 (interpretation of the meaning): "Forbidden to you (for food) are: maita, blood, the flesh of swine, and that on which has ben invoked the name of other than Allah; that which has been killed by strangling or by a violent blow…"
  4. That we receive their meat and we don't know if it has been slaughtered properly or not. In this case the rule of thumb is that if we don't know the way of slaughter, the default is that it is permitted if it has been slaughtered by Muslims or Ahl il-Kitaab (Fatawa Islamiyya, Sheikh Abdel-Aziz Bin Baz, 3/404), as per the generally encompassing ayah (interpretation of the meaning) "and the food of the people to whom have been revealed the Book is permitted for you." (al-Maa'ida:5) If it becomes evident to us that they have not slaughtered it properly then it would not be permisible.
  5. That we receive their meat and we don't know what they have mentioned upon it, and in this case likewise the preferrable and recommended opinion is the permissibility of eating it, as per the hadith in Sahih al-Bukhari via Aa'isha (may Allah be pleased with her) that some people said to the Prophet
    saws.gif
    (peace be upon him) that a people come to them with meat which they do not know whether they have mentioned the name of Allah upon it or not. The Prophet
    saws.gif
    replied "Mention the name of Allah upon it and eat it."

Islam Q&A
    Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
Assalaamu Alaykum
Bro Yusuf:
”The application of the phrase, [part of the verse of the Quran, 5:5] ‘the food of those who were given the Scripture,’ is general and includes their meats, produce, and other foods. All of these are halal for us excepting what is haram in itself, e.g., the flesh of a dead animal, pork, and flowing blood, as these are haram regardless of whether they are obtained from a Christian, a Jew or a Muslim. “
(The Lawful and The Prohibited in Islam by Yusuf Al-Qaradawi, page 60)

yusuf

Please Brothers And sisthers Watch this Video

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-2611754827320806460&q=dr+zakir+naik

Al-An'am, 6 / 117\118
So eat of (meats) on which God's name hath been pronounced, if ye have faith in His signs. (A. Yusuf Ali)
Eat of that over which the name of Allah hath been mentioned, if ye are believers in His revelations. (M. Pickthall)
So eat of that (meat) on which Allah's Name has been pronounced (while slaughtering the animal), if you are believers in His Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.). (M. T. Al-Hilali & M. M. Khan)

Why should ye not eat of (meats) on which God's name hath been pronounced, when He hath explained to you in detail what is forbidden to you - except under compulsion of necessity? But many do mislead (men) by their appetites unchecked by knowledge. Thy Lord knoweth best those who transgress. (A. Yusuf Ali)
How should ye not eat of that over which the name of Allah hath been mentioned, when He hath explained unto you that which is forbidden unto you unless ye are compelled thereto. But lo! many are led astray by their own lusts through ignorance. Lo! thy Lord, He is Best Aware of the transgressors. (M. Pickthall)
And why should you not eat of that (meat) on which Allah's Name has been pronounced (at the time of slaughtering the animal), while He has explained to you in detail what is forbidden to you, except under compulsion of necessity? And surely many do lead (mankind) astray by their own desires through lack of knowledge. Certainly your Lord knows best the transgressors. (M. T. Al-Hilali & M. M. Khan)

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
Happy_2ba_muslim

Akhi, do you have the actual daleel on this. Inshaa Allaah inform us if you can. The meat of Ahl ul-Kitaab is all permissible I thought, unless we have an proof to say otherwise (that a name other than Allaah's was pronounced upon slaughtering, or the animal was killed by a blow).

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
I ask since you didn't state, and the saheeh hadith found in Bukhari is clearly a supporting evidence of when it is permissible.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
:eek: I heard Dr Zakir Naik saying that in his Lecture

Click On this link !
This is Where I have got it from And it doesnt Contradicts The Quran Or The Hadith !
Its With more Details !

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-2611754827320806460&q=dr+zakir+naik

Assalamu Alaykum

Dr Neik, is not a scholar, So he can not issue Any Verdict or Ruling of ANY kind.

The Following is from the Verdicts of the Kibaar Ulema', the Senior Scholars and Muftis!! and it is based purely on Quran and Hadith.

(Same as What Ibn Azem Posted earlier) Read it!!

Permissibility of eating meat slaughtered by Christians and Jews​

Question:
I have read several articles on what foods are halal and what foods are haraam. But when I go to a restaurant I still [doubt] if what I am eating is halal. I know that the meat needs to be slaughtered in the name of Allah, and it shall be done by the people of the book. Currently in the United States, the Christians and the Jews don't follow the true Bible and the Torah. The Christians call Isa (may Allah be pleased with him) the son of God. Is the meat cut by these people halal, can it be eaten?

Answer:

Al-hamdu lillah (praise be to Allah).al-hamdu lillah (all praise be to Allah). The Christians and the Jews of the People of the Book in our times are indeed those People of the Book that are mentioned in the texts of shari'ah in the Qur'an and sunnah, and they are the kuffar (unbelievers) of the Jews and Christians that existed at the time of the Prophet
saws.gif
(peace be upon him). They are the people of the corrupted Torah and corrputed Injeel, as evidenced by the fact that Allah (swt) addressed them and named them "People of the Book" despite their being kuffar and their books being corrupted, as indicated in the following interpretations of the meanings of the aayaat:
Aala 'imran: 70:
O People of the Book! why do you reject the Signs of Allah, of which you are (yourselves) witnesses?
Al-maa'ida: 15:
O People of the Book! there has come to you Our Messenger, revealing to you much that you used to hide in the Book, and passing over much (that is now unnecessary): There has come to you from Allah a (new) light and a perspicuous Book.
Al-hashr: 2: (in regards to the Battle of Bani al-Nadeer):
It is He Who got out the Unbelievers among the People of the Book from their homes at the first gathering (of the forces)…
These kuffar among the People of the Book have certain abrogating qualities distinguishing them from the rest of the kuffar, by virtue of the fact that they are recipients of heavenly guidance and are people of previously revealed divine books—even though they corrupted them—unlike the remainder of the kuffar who have neither a previous book nor messenger, such as the Hindus, the Sikhs, the Buddhists, the communists, and others.
Because of this distinguishing quality, the shari'ah has specified special rulings particular to the People of the Book, and exceptions specific to them in some rulings, such as allowing marriage to the the chaste and virtuous (whether virgins or previously married) among their women and the permissibility of eating their slaughtered meat, as indicated in the following ayah (interpretation of the meaning):
Maa'ida: 5
This day are (all) things Good and pure made lawful unto you. The food of the People of the Book is lawful unto you and yours is lawful unto them. (Lawful unto you in marriage) are (not only) chaste women who are believers, but chaste women among the People of the Book, revealed before your time, when you give them their due dowers, and desire chastity, not lewdness, nor secret intrigues…
The preceding discussion is in regards to the general ruling with respect to slaughtered meat of the People of the Book; as for the specifics, the slaughtered meat of People of the Book can be one of several cases:
  1. That he slaughters it via the known way specified by shari'ah and he speaks the name of Allah upon it. In this case there is no problem in the permissibility of eating it.
  2. That he does not slaughter it by the way specified by shari'ah as is the case if he chokes it or electrocutes it until it dies or drowns it in water until it dies or kills it by a bullet, etc. In this case there is no doubt that eating it is forbidden since it is maita (meat of an animal that has died without properly being slaughtered) and Allah has forbidden it in the Qur'an (interpretation of the meaning): "… and forbidden unto you is maita…" (al-Maa'ida:3)
  3. That he mentions the name of someone or something other than Allah upon it as he is slaughtering, such as the Messiah or otherwise. Likewise there is no doubt that the meat in this case is haraam, since it is among what has been dedicated to other than Allah, which is specifically forbidden in the ayah in surat al-Maa'ida: 3 (interpretation of the meaning): "Forbidden to you (for food) are: maita, blood, the flesh of swine, and that on which has ben invoked the name of other than Allah; that which has been killed by strangling or by a violent blow…"
  4. That we receive their meat and we don't know if it has been slaughtered properly or not. In this case the rule of thumb is that if we don't know the way of slaughter, the default is that it is permitted if it has been slaughtered by Muslims or Ahl il-Kitaab (Fatawa Islamiyya, Sheikh Abdel-Aziz Bin Baz, 3/404), as per the generally encompassing ayah (interpretation of the meaning) "and the food of the people to whom have been revealed the Book is permitted for you." (al-Maa'ida:5) If it becomes evident to us that they have not slaughtered it properly then it would not be permisible.
  5. That we receive their meat and we don't know what they have mentioned upon it, and in this case likewise the preferrable and recommended opinion is the permissibility of eating it, as per the hadith in Sahih al-Bukhari via Aa'isha (may Allah be pleased with her) that some people said to the Prophet
    saws.gif
    (peace be upon him) that a people come to them with meat which they do not know whether they have mentioned the name of Allah upon it or not. The Prophet
    saws.gif
    replied "Mention the name of Allah upon it and eat it."

Islam Q&A
    Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid
Wasalam.