Is Duck Halal?

yaxattax

Salaam all,

Self explanatory really. I would like to engage a discussion as to whether duck is halal or haraam.

My reading on the topic of permissible food has led me to the conclusion that I feel summarises the situation best:
With some exceptions (explicitly stated) only herbivorous vertebrates are permissible to eat.

Duck are by definition omnivorous, if left in the wild will eat a dieat cosisting of around 25% insects (and the females will have a diet consistint of 75% insects during breeding season).

Some discussions I have read indicate however that if kept captive and fed a herbivore diet, the meat would be permissible.

What do others think? Unless Duck has been explicitly permitted I do not believe it is clear cut.

Regards,

Yaqub

ShyHijabi

:salam2:

Well if it's not forbidden then it is permissible, correct? I haven't read any fatwas or daleel to indicate that duck is haram.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
:salam2:

As I know, also chicken eat insects (and even meat if they get it) but never heard chicken might be haraam by this reason.

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
Hmmmm, I learned that birds with webbed feet are not allowed to be eaten. This is what I thought your question would be about. So birds like duck, turkey - i was brought up thinking we couldnt eat. Until I came to live in a Muslim country where I see it freely available and the answer i get is that the web is cut before the animal is sacrificed hence making it a non-webbed bird...
Anyone can clarify?

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Sister Shyhijabi is correct. The Quran informs us of what is permitted.
Now come on..I love some duck with orange sauce. Let me enjoy dreaming of it.

ShyHijabi

Hmmmm, I learned that birds with webbed feet are not allowed to be eaten. This is what I thought your question would be about. So birds like duck, turkey - i was brought up thinking we couldnt eat. Until I came to live in a Muslim country where I see it freely available and the answer i get is that the web is cut before the animal is sacrificed hence making it a non-webbed bird...
Anyone can clarify?

When I first converted I spent a LOT of time studying the dietary rules of Islam. No where did I read that duck is forbidden or discouraged. However, in Judaism the duck (or any webbed footed bird) is considered unclean. Strangely enough a lot of Muslims adhere to these rules though they are not carried over into Islam. I've stumbled across the same way of thinking towards shell fish.

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
I wonder why we were taught this then? Coz it is known in our family as well, as in my mum used to say the same thing as well. I shall try to find out more...