Is it a requirement to move the tongue for Dua/Supplication?

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
:salam2:

This is actually something I've been wondering about for a long time, but never got to post a thread on it.

Moving the tongue is a requirement for doing dhikr. But what about personal dua/supplication? Is it enough for a dua to be made silently from the heart? Or is it necessary to move the tongue for it to be valid? Does moving the tongue and lips when saying a dua make it a stronger dua, or does it not make a difference?

JazakAlaahu Khayr.

IbnAdam77

Travelling towards my grave.
Assalam 'Alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh

I am also very curious to learn about this inshaAllah. :)

Assalaam waliakum,

So I do a quick Google search and the first link is TTI!!!

Funny post dear Aapa. :D

Wassalam 'Alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah

Nobody knows? We're talking about *dua* here - how can we expect our duas to be accepted when we're not even sure about the correct etiquette?

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Sabr sister...Not to worry...I will dig it up today. InshaAllah, when we seek Allah subhana wa taala will help us.

khangul

your sister

sister i dont know the answer of ur question but i have to say that how much khushoo we put in our selves when we pray but we always hope that inshallah ALLAH will accept our prayers.Sometimes we wish for something and even do not make dua for it but stiil ALLAH fulfill our wish.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I am still researching but I have a quick question. We are told that we "call" to Him. What are the definitions of the word call in Arabic?

islamirama

www.netmuslims.com
:wasalam:

Say du’aa’ silently and not out loud. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Invoke your Lord with humility and in secret” [al-A’raaf 7:55]

And Allaah praised His slave Zakariyyah (peace be upon him) by saying (interpretation of the meaning):

“When he called to his Lord (Allaah) a call in secret” [Maryam 19:3]

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/36902

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Brother,

The sister asked specifically if the tonuge should be moved. We can supplicate silently but does not exclude moving our lips and tongue.

sclavus

I know for sure that we must move our tongues for verses and invocations. There's a fatwa from C. Ibn Othaimeen Rahimaho L'lah but I don't know where to find it.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

See, we ask and we are given answers.

How much Allah loves us..how much He loves us.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah

Um.. but.. the above link the brother provided only covers moving the tongue during the five daily prayers, the supplications (such as dhikr for morning and evening) and reading Quran. It does not cover "personal dua".

For example, if I want to say to Allah: "please correct my affairs." Is the tongue moved or not? Is the dua accepted regardless?

islamirama

www.netmuslims.com

Um.. but.. the above link the brother provided only covers moving the tongue during the five daily prayers, the supplications (such as dhikr for morning and evening) and reading Quran. It does not cover "personal dua".

For example, if I want to say to Allah: "please correct my affairs." Is the tongue moved or not? Is the dua accepted regardless?

I recall reading a while while back that one the Prophet's of Allah did not use to make dua, he would say Allah you already know what is in my heart. But that was him, for us it was said to make dua and say what you want. Yes, Allah can see in our hearts but is it not better to move your tongue and actually what you want rather than just 'think' it. Our parents love us but wouldn't we want them to say it to us also?

Just thinking it is a lazy man's way out. It wouldn't kill us to actually move our tongue and ASK Allah what we want. Plus the angels record everything we say and that recording goes upto to Allah twice a day, wouldn't you want your dua written there as well?

just a thought...

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong

hmm...why do one need to use his/her tongue to make dua to Allah to get the bus on time when its getting late?

why do one need to use his/her lips to make dua to Allah to help in finding the missing book?

havent scholars said to recite alhamdulillah in heart when we sneeze in toilets? havent *some* scholars told to recite (peace be upon him) in heart during khutbah and make duas in heart during salah sajdah if a person doesnt know arabic?

their positions explain that duas made in heart are answered. i hope you got my point. ( i wish i had solid daleel at this time!)

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Brother,

When we supplicate we involve our hands, our arms, our legs, our torso, our head, our feet, we lower our eyes, we breathe in a slow rhytimic air, we breath gently, so it kinda makes sense to wish to involve our tongues, and I try to block out all hearing at this time. It is a good thing to make dua.. so I think our tongues wish the blessing.. being a woman I have, I must admit, used it foolishly..so can I use it to do good?

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
Assalaam walaikum,

Brother,

When we supplicate we involve our hands, our arms, our legs, our torso, our head, our feet, we lower our eyes, we breathe in a slow rhytimic air, we breath gently, so it kinda makes sense to wish to involve our tongues, and I try to block out all hearing at this time. It is a good thing to make dua.. so I think our tongues wish the blessing.. being a woman I have, I must admit, used it foolishly..so can I use it to do good?

:wasalam:,

is ur post meant for me? :confused:

if yes, then let me tell u sister that the question at hand is not whether we can use tongue or not. of course we can use it in duas.

but the question of OP sister is....is it essential to use tongue/lips to make non-sunnah non-arabic duas?