Is it ok to pray with shorts on (for guys) ?

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
As salamu alaikkum as long as it covers the knees its fine, and you must also make sure that they are not tight so that they reveal the shape of your thighs, remember we are praying to our Lord, and must make sure we are covered properly in shaAllah :)

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
wa alaykum salam wa rahmatullaahi wa barakatuh

It is better if you wore loose clothes, infact, we should try and wear nice clothes because we are standing infront of Allaah.

If people can dress up to go to someone's house or to go to a business meeting, how can they not do the same for something even more important, to stand infront of Allaah in prayer?

anyway, personally I think shorts are fine for kids, they look cute, but grown men look ridiculous wearing them.

What is the ruling on praying in tight clothes? Can one who wears them lead people in prayer?.

Praise be to Allaah. It is makrooh for both men and women to wear tight clothes. What is prescribed is for the clothes to be moderate, not tight and showing the shape of the ‘awrah or very loose, but somewhere in between.
Prayer offered in such clothes is valid, if they cover the body, but it is makrooh for the believing man or woman to wear such clothes. The clothes should be somewhere between too tight and too loose. This is what is appropriate. End quote.

Majmoo’ Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn Baaz (29/217).

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
anyway, personally I think shorts are fine for kids, they look cute, but grown men look ridiculous wearing them.

agreed. i see men in shorts coming to masjid. its doesnt looks respectable.

and also men in 30's 40's, walking in shorts in malls and markets. its a new trend in Saudi Arabia i suppose!

One hadith came up in my mind:
You will certainly follow the ways of those who came before you, handspan by handspan, cubit by cubit, until even if they entered the hole of a lizard, you will do so too» al-Bukhaari, 3269; Muslim, 2669.

Islam!!yay

agreed. i see men in shorts coming to masjid. its doesnt looks respectable.

and also men in 30's 40's, walking in shorts in malls and markets. its a new trend in Saudi Arabia i suppose!

One hadith came up in my mind:
You will certainly follow the ways of those who came before you, handspan by handspan, cubit by cubit, until even if they entered the hole of a lizard, you will do so too» al-Bukhaari, 3269; Muslim, 2669.

well Clothing doesnt reflect your personality. I believe Allah SWT "is interested in the sincerity of your intentions and actions."