Is kosher equal to halal?

Durriyyah

Forever Student
:salam2:

I've heard many different opinions on this matter and I couldn't find anything already in the forum for this. If I buy kosher meat, is that still halal? Does anyone have proof from Sunnah as I don't recall it being in the Qur'an specifically anywhere.

:wasalam:

Mohammad Toseef

:wasalam:
I haven't really given this question much thought, but here are some links to sites answering your question:

http://www.soundvision.com/info/halalhealthy/halal.kosher.asp
salam to all
i read this article..but for me it does not answer the question that can muslims consume kosher meat like chicken and beef and stuff
i know quite a lot of muslim friends who would eat chicken and lamb meat from restaurant or fast food chains like McDonalds but i do not...because i have been told i cannot...so can we, Muslims eat meat (except for pork of course) from restauraunts that are not labelled to be halal??????..i am totally confused
Jazak allah kahir if sumone wud answer this
thank you
wassalm

Gewoon_kamal

As-Salaamoe ‘Aleikoem

http://www.toronto.ca/health/nm_faq_halal_foods.htm

Question: Can Muslims eat Kosher foods?

Answer: Halal and Kosher foods are not similar. Here is an excerpt from Eat-Halal.com "Kosher is from the Hebrew word kasher, which means, "fit" and "proper". The term is usually used for food that Jews are permitted to eat under dietary laws that are derived from passages in the biblical books. Some elements of Jewish and Islamic dietary laws are common, while some are not". Therefore, not all Kosher foods are Halal for Muslims. Here are a few differences:
Kosher Halal
Blessing of Animals Blessing before entering slaughtering area, not on each animal. Blessing on each animal while slaughtering
Preparation of meat Soaked and salted to drain all blood No special preparation. Blood is drained during slaughtering
Gelatin
• Dry bones
• Skin and bones
• Fish
• Pork
• From Kosher animals
• From Kosher animals
• From Kosher fish only
• From Halal bones only
• From Halal animals only
• From any fish
Fish and other seafoods Permitted except fish that do not have fins and scales (e.g. catfish, eels, rays, sharks, swordfish). Shellfish (e.g. oyster, clam), crustaceans (e.g. crab, lobster), and mollusks (e.g. scallops) are not permitted Permitted
Alcohol Permitted except for grape derivatives such as wine, brandy, or some liqueurs. Alcohol needs to be certified as Kosher before they are permitted Not permitted
Combining dairy and meat products Not permitted Permitted
Special occasions Additional restrictions during Passover Same rules apply all the time

Wa 'Aleikoem Salaam (Wa Rah'matoellahi Wa Barakaatoeh)

Gewoon_kamal

• As-Salaamoe ‘Aleikoem

Answer: Halal and Kosher foods are not similar. Here is an excerpt from Eat-Halal.com "Kosher is from the Hebrew word kasher, which means, "fit" and "proper". The term is usually used for food that Jews are permitted to eat under dietary laws that are derived from passages in the biblical books. Some elements of Jewish and Islamic dietary laws are common, while some are not". Therefore, not all Kosher foods are Halal for Muslims. Here are a few differences:

Kosher Halal
Blessing of Animals Blessing before entering slaughtering area, not on each animal. Blessing on each animal while slaughtering
Preparation of meat Soaked and salted to drain all blood No special preparation. Blood is drained during slaughtering
Gelatin
Dry bones
Skin and bones
Fish
Pork

From Kosher animals
From Kosher animals
From Kosher fish only

From Halal bones only
From Halal animals only
From any fish

Fish and other seafoods Permitted except fish that do not have fins and scales (e.g. catfish, eels, rays, sharks, swordfish). Shellfish (e.g. oyster, clam), crustaceans (e.g. crab, lobster), and mollusks (e.g. scallops) are not permitted Permitted
Alcohol Permitted except for grape derivatives such as wine, brandy, or some liqueurs. Alcohol needs to be certified as Kosher before they are permitted Not permitted
Combining dairy and meat products Not permitted Permitted
Special occasions Additional restrictions during Passover Same rules apply all the time

• Wa 'Aleikoem Salaam (Wa Rah'matoellahi Wa Barakaatoeh)