is marijuana really haram?

TruthSeeker17

salam alaykom...i am a convert and i had this question on my mind for a while. Before i turned to islam i was a different person. I had smoked marijuana every weekend because of stress issues. However because i smoked marijuana it made me think into a deep state of mind. So much that i thought about death all the time. I always looked at the stars after i smoked and wondered what was out there. To make a long story short i basically found islam because of marijuana. In my opinion when i smoke, it would relieve my stress, think about things more, etc. I think that marijuana and alcohol is different. Alcohol makes you do stupid things because your drunk. Smoking marijuana is different though because people associate it with being drunk however its totally different. well anyway i wanted to know if it was halal or haram

Achmat_Samsodien

:salam2:

Dear Brother

It is haraam by all accounts, anything that alters your state of mind is haraam.
The thing with Marijuana is that it affects different people in different ways.
As a muslim you now have the Quraan and Sunnah, the quraan is more than enough to relieve any stress. So whenever you're stressed read Quraan because all the answers to your problems are there.

May Allah keep you guidung you Insha Allah!

Almeftah

1. Every substance that has the same effect alcohol has, IS HARAM.
2. Everything that causes harm to the human body even on a long period of time (Alcohol, cigarette, Hash, marijuana...) IS HARAM.

Details:

Hadith - Al-Tirmidhi #580, Narrated AbudDarda'

...don't drink wine for it is the key to every evil.

Hadith - Abu Dawood, Narrated Umar ibn al-Khattab

When the prohibition of wine (was yet to be) declared, Umar said: O Allah, give us a satisfactory explanation about wine. So the following verse of Surat al-Baqarah revealed; "They ask thee concerning wine and gambling. Say: In them is great sin...." Umar was then called and it was recited to him. He said: O Allah, give us a satisfactory explanation about wine. Then the following verse of Surat an-Nisa' was revealed: "O ye who believe! approach not prayers with a mind befogged...." Thereafter the herald of the Apostle of Allah would call when the (congregational) prayer was performed: Beware, one who is drunk should not come to prayer. Umar was again called and it was recited to him. He said: O Allah, give us a satisfactory explanation about wine. This verse was revealed: "Will ye not then abstain?" Umar said: We abstained.

The Noble Qur'an - al-Baqarah 2:219

They ask you (O Muhammad ) concerning alcoholic drink and gambling. Say: "In them is a great sin, and (some) benefit for men, but the sin of them is greater than their benefit." And they ask you what they ought to spend. Say: "That which is beyond your needs." Thus Allâh makes clear to you His Laws in order that you may give thought.

Dying when Addicted

Hadith - Muslim #4963, Narrated Abdullah ibn Umar

Allah's Messenger said: Every intoxicant is Khamr and every intoxicant is forbidden. He who drinks wine in this world and dies while he is addicted to it, not having repented, will not be given a drink in the Hereafter.

Medicine

Hadith - Abu Dawood, narrated Tariq ibn Suwayd or Suwayd ibn Tariq

Wa'il said: Tariq ibn Suwayd or Suwayd ibn Tariq asked the Prophet about wine, but he forbade it. He again asked him, but he forbade him. He said to him: Prophet of Allah, it is a medicine. The Prophet said: No it is a disease.

Hadith

Umm Salamah, the wife of the Prophet reports that he once said: "Allah has not placed a cure for your diseases in things that He has forbidden for you.'' (Reported by Baihaqi; Ibn Hibban considers this hadith to be sound.Bukhari has also related it on the authority of Ibn Mas'ud.)

Hadith - Abu Dawood; Sahih Bukhari

Abu ad-Darda reported that the Prophet said: "Allah has sent down both the malady and its remedy. For every disease He has created a cure. So seek medical treatment, but never with something the use of which Allah has prohibited.''

read more: muttaqun.com

Marijuana didnt lead you to Islam, Both hardship and Blessings are the planning of Allah upon his creations. You should feel greatful that Allah is leading you to the right path, this may be proof of HIS love to you.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Marijuana used for medicine is not haram. It is a potent pain killer with little side effects. It is used for cancer pain. It is a very good medicine for the prevention of glucoma. It is one of the most effective remedies for headaches.
Many physicians prescribe it for its plative properties.

This should get a whole lot of responses!

muthmainnah

There is a brother who also ask this question, so this is an answer for you both from an ulama (islamic scholar), may it help.

Ruling on smoking various types of hasheesh (marijuana)

Q:Is it harm to smoke weed (Marijuana) occasionally especially when stressed out?.

A:praise be to Allaah.

Hasheesh of all types is haraam, whether it is marijuana or any other type.

Al-‘Allaamah Ibn Hajar al-Haythami said in al-Fataawa al-Fiqhiyyah (4/233), speaking of hasheeh:

The evidence for its being forbidden is the report narrated by Ahmad in his Musnad and by Abu Dawood in his Sunan with a saheeh isnaad from Umm Salamah (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade all kinds of intoxicants and relaxants. The scholars said that relaxants are things that cause drowsiness and languor in the limbs. This hadeeth indicates that hasheesh in particular is haraam, because it intoxicates and relaxes, which is why those who consume it sleep a great deal. Al-Qaraafi and Ibn Taymiyah narrated that there is scholarly consensus that it is haraam and said: The one who regards it as permissible is a kaafir. He said: The only reason why the four imams (may Allaah have mercy on them) did not speak of it is that it was not known at their time, rather it only appeared at the end of the sixth century AH and the beginning of the seventh century when the Tatar state emerged. End quote.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in al-Fataawa al-Kubra (3/425): Consuming this hasheesh in solid form is haraam, and it is one of the most evil of haraam plants, whether a little of it is consumed or a lot. End quote.

Consuming intoxicants is haraam regardless of the way in which they are consumed.

Al-‘Allaamah Ibn Qaasim al-Shaafa’i said: What is meant by the drinker is the consumer, whether it is drunk or consumed otherwise, whether there is consensus on its being forbidden or there is a difference of opinion concerning that, and whether it is solid or liquid, cooked or raw. End quote.

Sharee’ah only forbids the consumption of drugs and intoxicants because of the great harm that they cause to the mind, soul, family and society. We have discussed some of these harmful effects in the answer to question no. 66227.

As for stress and anxiety, you may rest assured that the remedy for them is not to be found in smoking hasheesh or any other haraam thing. Allaah has not put the remedy of this ummah in that which He has forbidden to it. In Saheeh Muslim (3670) it says that asked the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) about alcohol and he forbade him or told him not to make it. He said: “But I make it as a remedy.” He said: “It is not a remedy, it is a disease.”
If you want to rid yourself of anxiety, then we advise you to do several things, including the following:

1- Pray a great deal for forgiveness with proper presence of mind.

2- Do wudoo’ and pray, for these are the greatest means of helping oneself to be patient in dealing with hardship and dispelling worry.

3- Remember Allaah a great deal (dhikr), because this is a sure way to attain peace of mind and tranquillity.

4- Send a great deal of blessings upon the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). In Sunan al-Tirmidhi (2381) it is narrated that Ubayy (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: I said: O Messenger of Allaah, I send a great deal of blessings upon you. How much of my du’aa’ should I make for you? He said: “Whatever you wish.” I said: One-quarter? He said: “Whatever you wish, but if you do more it will be better for you.” I said: One half? He said: “Whatever you wish, but if you do more it will be better for you.” I said: Two-thirds? He said: “Whatever you wish, but if you do more it will be better for you.” I said: I will make all my du’aa’ for you. He said: “Then your worries will be taken care of and your sins will be forgiven.” Classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh Sunan al-Tirmidhi.

This is in addition to avoiding the causes of stress and anxiety as much as possible. If the source of this anxiety and stress is worry about the future, such as how you will learn a living and so on, then you must think in positive terms of Allaah and sincerely put your trust in Him. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And whosoever puts his trust in Allaah, then He will suffice him. Verily, Allaah will accomplish his purpose. Indeed Allaah has set a measure for all things”

[al-Talaaq 65:3]

May Allaah help us and you to do all good.

Islam Q&A

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/115761/smoking

hassana elkoussi

Salaam,

Marijuana used for medicine is not haram. It is a potent pain killer with little side effects. It is used for cancer pain. It is a very good medicine for the prevention of glucoma. It is one of the most effective remedies for headaches.

As-salamu alaikom dear sister mirajmom
Some scholars agree that it can be used as a pain killer only when it's extremely necessary as in the case of cancer patients i.e., when the pain is incredibly unbearable. Otherwise it's haram & here's the ruling on using narcotic and intoxicating medication given by Sheikh Ibn Baz

Praise be to Allaah.

There is nothing wrong with medicines which give a patient relief and reduce his pain before and after surgery, unless it is known that they contain a substance which causes intoxication in large amounts, in which case they should not be used, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “Whatever causes intoxication in large amounts, a little of it is haraam.” But if it does not cause intoxication, or large amounts of it would not cause intoxication, but it brings some relief and eases the pain, then there is nothing wrong with it.

Majmoo’ Fataawa li’l-Shaykh Ibn Baaz, 6/18

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum,

First of all, all guidance is from Allah Subahan Wa Ta'ala, and our paths to guidance may be different ones, but once we know and accept the truth, then we must discard those things that are haram.

Marijuana has effect on your health as it is smoking. So aside of the longterm psychologic effects from the drug itself which may be destroying parts of your brain, the actual action of smoking does that anyway.

Instead, we need to reflect upon the Quran, listen to the Quran and make that as our way of relaxation and a way to actually get hope, wisdom and many other benefits. The Quran is the Word of Allah Subahana Wa ta'ala, there is nothing in comparison to it. So download and listen to the recitations of the Quran and read, memorise.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
Salaam,

I was wondering about this the other day.. What about cough syrup? They say it has alcohol in it. And some capsules have gelatin coating. There's this codfish oil capsules I take during the winter, but it has gelatin coating on it, and now when I have to take these medicines, my heart gets dissatisfied. So what would you say about cough syrup and these capsules?

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

The best cough syrup is a a cup of hot tea with honey, lemon, and ginger. As for the oil..just drink it in liquid form.

abu turaab

:salam2: anything whether it be medicine or drug whose intake causes more harms than cures (or may be equals the both) is likely to be haram...as stated in the Qur'an about the liquor(s) which cause the Khamar that even if it had benifits yet its deteriorative and evil effects outnumber the positive ones!!...which is the prime cause to declare it haram!!
now as a thumb rule haram things are not allowed even in small amounts untill the life is in danger...so can be said that if the liquors or smokes or whatever else help in some positive ways besides their side effects even by taking in small amounts thus reducing their negatives...still cannot be labeled as halal!!..
muslim doctors and scientists and scholors must search for the alternatives and should see into the fact that if the medicine (containing some alcohal or marijuana or similars along with other ailments and not absolutely made of these items)which doesn't weaken the consciousness to a much lesser degree and which doesn't cause any significant internal damage (of liver or brain etc) and which doesn't makes the patient obssesive to such cures...can be allowed in some cases or absolutely not?!!..
wasalam-o-alaikum