Is poetry haram?

danial

Is modern poetry such as the ones by Wilfred Owen and Sasoon haram?

How about modern texts such as the Great Gatsby and the works of Shakespeare or Jane Austen?

you see, i love literature but i wanna know if im not supposed to?

massi

Reading and writing fantasy stories

Question:
Is it permissible in Islam to read and write fantasy novels and stories? Fantasy here refers to princesses, castles, magic and things you would find in a fairy tale, for instance.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

1. With regard to reading these stories, this is a waste of time. People are deceived by the idea of “free” time, for it is one of the things about which they will be questioned on the Day of Resurrection.

It was narrated that Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There are two blessings which many people do not make the most of: good health and free time.”

(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 6049)

Abu Barzah al-Aslami said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “A person will not be let go on the Day of Resurrection until he has been asked about his life and how he spent it, his knowledge and what he did with it, his wealth and from where he earned it and where he spent it, and his body and how he used it.”

(Narrated and classed as saheeh by al-Tirmidhi, 2417)

2. As for writing these stories, in addition to the above point that it is a waste of time, it also involves a second forbidden matter, which is lying; lying cannot be avoided if one is to write in an attractive and compelling manner about things that do not exist.

If a person has to write, then let him write about something that is real and happens in the lives of people nowadays, writing about things that really happened to him or to others, from which lessons can be drawn. Or let him write by way of giving examples and allegories, stating that in an introduction. Even better than that, let him write about the real and saheeh stories that have been narrated in the Qur’aan and Sunnah, or about the lives and biographies of great Islamic personalities such as the Prophets, scholars and righteous people, or

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

massi

Reading and writing fantasy stories

Question:
Is it permissible in Islam to read and write fantasy novels and stories? Fantasy here refers to princesses, castles, magic and things you would find in a fairy tale, for instance.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

1. With regard to reading these stories, this is a waste of time. People are deceived by the idea of “free” time, for it is one of the things about which they will be questioned on the Day of Resurrection.

It was narrated that Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There are two blessings which many people do not make the most of: good health and free time.”

(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 6049)

Abu Barzah al-Aslami said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “A person will not be let go on the Day of Resurrection until he has been asked about his life and how he spent it, his knowledge and what he did with it, his wealth and from where he earned it and where he spent it, and his body and how he used it.”

(Narrated and classed as saheeh by al-Tirmidhi, 2417)

2. As for writing these stories, in addition to the above point that it is a waste of time, it also involves a second forbidden matter, which is lying; lying cannot be avoided if one is to write in an attractive and compelling manner about things that do not exist.

If a person has to write, then let him write about something that is real and happens in the lives of people nowadays, writing about things that really happened to him or to others, from which lessons can be drawn. Or let him write by way of giving examples and allegories, stating that in an introduction. Even better than that, let him write about the real and saheeh stories that have been narrated in the Qur’aan and Sunnah, or about the lives and biographies of great Islamic personalities such as the Prophets, scholars and righteous people, or

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid
:)

danial

since when is poetry or modern literature about "Fantasy here refers to princesses, castles, magic "

i like literature because it stimulates the mind n gets u thinking bout stuff more in depth then it already is.

Such as modern poems, they portray the pain/suffering/happiness/joy of the persona whihc was living during that literary period. from there we are able to better understand how ppl felt or saw during that that.in other words its more of a historical account more than anything else. same goes to the other literature books.

i dont see how, in any way, this can be haram to me since im gaining so much from it.not a second of literature is idol time. l

Literature is like soccer.one helps u physically, the other helps ur thinking process.

A

abdul ghaleeb

some literature can be such a waste of time
i have to do reading comprehension in my english class and boy is it mind numbing...
how the heack in life is it improtant and how will it benefit me to learn how do you think kelly feels about working on the farm or whether she should work in the kitchen???

i could smack that teacher and burn all those useless books about poems and flowers and stuff

astaghfirullaah

Ahmed ibn Ibrahim

alhamdulilah
just my opinion

Asalaamu alaikum,

Most of the literature out there is overdramatic, crying for attention waste of time and open misguidance. Shakespeare did a wonderful job at misdirecting the public's desires and interests, and he's partially to blame for Western society being as rediculous and corrupt as it is.

Oh sure he's great at spinning words together, making them sound romantic or heroic or sinister - but who cares?! Really, at the end of the day what good comes from all this, compared to all the bad?

Unless it's educational or of a religious nature, I don't bother reading much anymore - even though I used to love the English language and literature before too. And I'm still fairly articulate, Alhamdulilah, I'm just trying to use my "free time" better now.

WaSalaam

danial

i have to disagree with what u guys say actually... i feel that literature has heightened my senses n hasnt misguided me in away way. i feel that it is highly beneficial to me. not everyone can appreciate Lit.

Btw, my English Lit lecturers are Muslims. Practising ones.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Salaam alaykum;

about poetry and literature; it is not only "wasting of time" but also good way to get more information from different cultures, nations and ways of think and live when you read books written by persons from other countries. Some historical books (novels too) might help you to understand better life in history, like in ancient times.

I would like to read more from writers whose are muslims but unfortunately here is not possible to find very much such of literature what have been translated to my own language and of course I understand my own much better than english for example.

And of course; reading will help you to learn how to write your own ideas by yourself. So I will never stop reading :SMILY335: