Is Sh. Bilal Philips's Online School Reliable?

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
:salam2:

For some time now, I've been doing the courses on Shaykh Bilal Philips's Islamic Online University (Fanar Institute). But then I came across some people saying that the shaykh is not a reliable person to get Islamic knowledge from?? Is this true?

StudentOfLight

I've also enrolled in some courses and was wondering the same thing.
Some of my family members belong to certain groups and oppose strongly some of his ideas like Allah being above and beyond creation rather then everywhere, and the rejection of every Hadith that is not authentic e.t.c and they can debate with me for hours leaving me utterly confused,
So for now, until I gain more knowledge I've just taken the idea that 'take the best and leave the rest'.

Also, Just asking to understand better, what kind of reasons do people give you that he is not a reliable person?

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)

Some of my family members belong to certain groups and oppose strongly some of his ideas like Allah being above and beyond creation rather then everywhere, and the rejection of every Hadith that is not authentic e.t.c and they can debate with me for hours leaving me utterly confused,
So for now, until I gain more knowledge I've just taken the idea that 'take the best and leave the rest'.

Also, Just asking to understand better, what kind of reasons do people give you that he is not a reliable person?

walaikum salam wa rahmatuAllahi wa barakatuhu,

ukhti, Everywhere is above his creation is the aqeedah of ahle sunnah wa jammah, and the other you mentioned is usually a error in the aqeedah found in some muslims.

Ibn tamiyyah has some excellent work on it unfortunately i cant find it right now, but you can look for it, Abu Hanifa (rah) statement really sums it all up

Abu Hanifa says in his book Al-wassiya "we agree that Allah is established on the throne without his needing it or resting on it and he is the guardian of the throne and all besides the throne. If He were in need, He would not have been able to bring into existence the universe or administrate over its affairs, Just as created beings cannot. If he was in need of settling on it, then before the creation of the Throne, Where was He most High? in effect, he transcendent of all this." (fiqh al akbar of imam Abu Hanifa rahimullah)

you can read more on it here is a small thing from ibn uthaymeen

http://www.authentictranslations.com/trans-pub/misau_company-of-allah.pdf

Regarding Ustad Bilal Phillips, i have mostly seen people talk good, Allah (swt) knows best, most of the work and notes online from courses have detail references which can be used to look into further detail.

TalibEIlm

As Salaam Ulaikum Wr Wb,

I studied for around 3 weeks at Online Islamic University but then i left because he does not seem to follow any Imam and refutes to a lot of things. I do agree that he is an excellent Dai of the Deen and a very good one when it comes to studies of comparative religions.

Imam Abu Hanifa says "When a hadeeth is found to be saheeh, then that is my madhhab."

"When you find in my kitaab anything contradicting the Sunnah of Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) then say (i.e. command) the Sunnah of Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) and leave aside my statement." (Imaam Shaafi)

Commenting on these statements, Imaam Nawawi (rahmatullah alayh) says:

"This which Imaam Shaafi has said does not mean that everyone who sees a Saheeh Hadith should say: 'This is the Math-hab of Shaafi, thus practising on the zaahir (text/external or apparent meaning) of the Hadith.

This most certainly applies to only such a person who has the rank of Ijtihaad in the Math-hab. It is a condition that he overwhelmingly believes that Imaam Shaafi was unaware of this Hadith or he was unaware of its authenticity. And this is possible only after having made a research of all the books of Shaafi and similar other books of the Ashaab of Shaafi, those who take (knowledge) from him, and others similar to these (books). This is indeed a difficult condition (to fulfil). Few are there who measure up to this (standard).

What we have explained has been made conditional because Imaam Shaafi had abandoned acting on the zaahir (text) of many Ahadith which he saw and knew. However by him was established proof for criticism in the Hadith or its abrogation or its specific circumstance or its interpretation, etc. (hence he was constrained to leave aside the hadith)." (I'laaus Sunan, Vol. 2, page 225)

Shaikh Abu Amr(rahmatullah alayh) said: "It is not easy to act according to the apparent (zaahir) text of what Imaam Shaafi said. It is not lawful for (even) every Faqeeh (qualified Aalim who has deep insight) to act independently with that which he opines to be proof from the Hadith." (I'laaus Sunan, Vol. 2, page 225)

It also appears in I'laaus Sunan of muhaddith Zafar Ahmad Uthmaani (rahmatullah alayh): "Imaam Sha'raani has also narrated it (i.e. the statement 'When the authenticity of a Hadith is established it is my Math-hab.'), attributing it to the four Imaams. It is not hidden (from understanding) that this is for the one who has the ability (insight and qualification) in the Nusoos and the knowledge of its clear laws and its abrogations." (Volume 2, page 226)

Discussing this statement in his treatise, Shaikh Yusuf Bin Ismaail Nibhaani says:

"Verily, the statement: 'When the Hadith has been authenticated, then it is my Math-hab' has been narrated from each o*ne of these four Imaams who were free from personal opinion. The audience to whom this statement ('When the Hadith is Saheeh it is my Math-hab.') was directed, is only his (the Imaam's) Ashaab (the Fuqaha of his Math-hab) who were great and illustrious Aimmah fully qualified in the rational and narrational sciences (of the Deen). (And the statement is directed to) those who came after these illustrious Aimmah among the great Ulama of his Math-hab, those who were the Ahlut Tarjeeh (a high category of Ulama). All of them who were the Haafizeen of the Hadith of Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) were fully aware of the daleels (proofs) of all the Math-habs.........These are the o*nes whom the Imaam (of the Math-hab) had directed his statement: 'When the Hadith is Saheeh, it is my Math-hab.'....Verily, they (these great Fuqaha) are able to reconcile between the Hadith from which the Imaam had derived proof, and the (latest) Hadith which was established as authentic after the Imaam. They (these illustrious Fuqaha) can see which of the two Hadiths is more authentic, stronger and which of the two Hadiths is the later o*ne so that the later one can be the Naasikh (abrogator) for the earlier one."

The Qur'aan commands: "O People of Imaan! Obey Allah, obey the Rasool and the Ulool Amr among you." (Surah An Nisa - Verse 59)

The Ulool Amr (the Leaders) mentioned in this Qur'aanic verse apply in the first instance to the Sahaabah, next to the Taabioon and then to the Tab-e-Taabioon. These are the three illustrious groups of the Sunnah singled out for obedience by Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam). He, therefore said:

"The best people are my contemporaries (i.e., the present (my) generation) and then those who come after them (i.e., the next generation)." `Imran added: I am not sure whether the Prophet repeated the statement twice after his first saying. The Prophet (S.A.W) added, "And after them there will come people who will bear witness, though they will not be asked to give their witness; and they will be treacherous and nobody will trust them, and they will make vows, but will not fulfill them, and fatness will appear among them." Sahih Bukhari Volume 8.hadith number 436

These are the ages of the Sahaabah, Taabi-oon and Tab-e-Taabioon. Speaking glowingly of the Salf-e-Saalihoon, the Qur'aan Majeed says:
"Those who went ahead first (the Sahaabah) among the Muhaajireen and Ansaar, and those who followed them with goodness, Allah is pleased with them and they are pleased with Him...." (Aayat 100, Surah Taubah)

May Allah guide you and all of us towards the right path. Ameen

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah

I've actually found his courses to be very useful and knowledgeable - and certainly I've learned many things I would never have otherwise. But I found some people calling him deviant, so I had to wonder if this was true.

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
:wasalam:

Regarding Ustad Bilal Phillips, i have mostly seen people talk good, Allah (swt) knows best, most of the work and notes online from courses have detail references which can be used to look into further detail.

If the courses have references which can be checked, is it not for those who dispute with him to bring their evidence to back up their accusations?

We need to get our knowledge from somewhere - It is always worth considering that any scholar or Da'ee might present only one interpretation, or even make mistakes. I usually find those discussions are beyond my knowledge. One day I will have InshaAllah enough knowledge to understand the disputes, and InshaAllah the wisdom to be corrected. Bilal Philips clearly has more ilm than I, and there is much I can learn from these courses.

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
:wasalam:

If the courses have references which can be checked, is it not for those who dispute with him to bring their evidence to back up their accusations?

We need to get our knowledge from somewhere - It is always worth considering that any scholar or Da'ee might present only one interpretation, or even make mistakes. I usually find those discussions are beyond my knowledge. One day I will have InshaAllah enough knowledge to understand the disputes, and InshaAllah the wisdom to be corrected. Bilal Philips clearly has more ilm than I, and there is much I can learn from these courses.

aslam o alaikum wa rahmatuALlahi wa barakatuhu,

yea they have to , honestly since its the 'internet' anyone can accuse anyone of anything we have to be careful cause people twist and turn the words put things out of context, so wallahu alam , and its same for me i cant say anything about him, i took part 1 of a foundation of islamic studies, honestly i thought it was amazing, everything had references below it, he was strict on aqeedah, explained the branches of islamic studies some context inshAllah i plan on studying more from the IOU its a amazing source, the sheikh himself has studied from Madina and i have heard from praises from other students who have went to medina univ as well, i saw him in toronto once, he was very humble, well mannered, mashAllah. And also the IOU are really helpful you can email them about anything and they reply usually within 24 hours, and they also have live support.

thats what i can share with the best o fmy abilities, Allah (swt) knows best