Is this considered Haramm?

dianek

I just found a personal trainer to help me get my high school self back....(yeah, good luck, but got to try).......the trainer is a male and will meet me in fully public places with no physical contact at all. Basically he shows me the move and then tells me what to correct in my posture of movements. He is certified and strictly professional. What is the opinion on this? I am not training in shorts or anything all sweats.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
I just found a personal trainer to help me get my high school self back....(yeah, good luck, but got to try).......the trainer is a male and will meet me in fully public places with no physical contact at all. Basically he shows me the move and then tells me what to correct in my posture of movements. He is certified and strictly professional. What is the opinion on this? I am not training in shorts or anything all sweats.

It's impermissible because it is still free-mixing and is an avenue to what is worse. Islaam is about enjoining the good and forbidding the evil so that includes closing the doors to evil.

By leaving it for the sake of Allaah, surely you'll find something better. The "moves" part is worrying, i mean the hijab which covers the figure should do just that, baggy sweats wouldn't be sufficient. Further yet he's gonna be studying the way these "moves" are executed isn't which requires a thorough visual study. In other words he's gonna be watching you.

I'm sure there's some female trainers out there. Alhamdulillaah in East London we have at least 2 Muslim Gyms.

dianek

I don't wear hijab yet. I wear loose clothing though......I have not been able to find a woman trainer I can afford......

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
I don't wear hijab yet. I wear loose clothing though......I have not been able to find a woman trainer I can afford......

By Hijaab I mean the whole concept and not just a head wrap. Make du`aa to Allaah, inshaa Allaah you will find someone. But it's definately a no-go with a male there's no doubt that in this case it is haraam. As Muslims we should be protecting our honour, and not sacrificing it for a better figure or anything rather. Especially when it involves the opposite sex, due to the harms involved. Look at it this way, Allaah will be more pleased with you, for leaving off what you desire for His sake. But following your desire will have an effect upon your eemaan, a negative one at that. So we should try hard to please Allaah.

May Allaah make the affair easy for you and direct you to what is good, and better for you. Alhamdulillaah it is good you consulted this matter first sister. But do understand that not being able to find an affordable female one or any other reason doesnt act as a sufficient excuse.

Hope it clarifies.

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
:salam2:

Yeh you do, loose clothing is definitely a form of hijaab.

hmm if I was in your place.. I wouldnt keep that instructor. Its good that the place is fully public an all that, but if he isnt aware of Islamic ettiquites then what if he actually tries to correct your posture or something? not cool.

It must be annoying you cant find a female...but try and keep trying. Me for example, still looking for a female driving instructor! its been like a whole year now....:( but still, I wouldnt go for a male instructor not ever.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
:salam2:

Yeh you do, loose clothing is definitely a form of hijaab.

hmm if I was in your place.. I wouldnt keep that instructor. Its good that the place is fully public an all that, but if he isnt aware of Islamic ettiquites then what if he actually tries to correct your posture or something? not cool.

It must be annoying you cant find a female...but try and keep trying. Me for example, still looking for a female driving instructor! its been like a whole year now....:( but still, I wouldnt go for a male instructor not ever.

A form, but incomplete. It's a requirement of the hijaab meaning the hijaab isn't complete without it, but at the same time, it alone is not sufficient as a hijaab. Anyway I was just clarifying that.

Driving is a good analogy; i mean you drive in public, likewise you will see the trainer in public.

Salaam,

Please be careful with some of the advices you are giving. Also, please be patient with a sister that just recently reverted to Islam. Things don't just happen over night. People gradually change and learn. Just make dua sister Dianek (and sister Isra) , inshallah you'll find the right instructor.

Al-Kashmiri please give me some proof for what you said - "baggy sweats wouldn't be sufficient"

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
Salaam,

Please be careful with some of the advices you are giving. Also, please be patient with a sister that just recently reverted to Islam. Things don't just happen over night. People gradually change and learn. Just make dua sister Dianek (and sister Isra) , inshallah you'll find the right instructor.

Al-Kashmiri please give me some proof for what you said - "baggy sweats wouldn't be sufficient"

We are being patient im not being hands down militant like some people.

Do you mean to tell me that baggy clothing without a khimar is a complete hijaab? The proof is found within the qur'aan on the verses of the hijaab (33:59) with their correct meanings

We are being patient im not being hands down militant like some people.

Do you mean to tell me that baggy clothing without a khimar is a complete hijaab? The proof is found within the qur'aan on the verses of the hijaab (33:59) with their correct meanings

Salaam akhi,

Okay, I was looking at your response differently. I thought you were being militant and saying that you can't wear baggy sweat pants. :cool:

kudos

dianek

Thanks to you all for the guidance. And Thanks HumbleOne for knowing and understanding how little I know just yet and how much effort it will take until my mindset changes! It is really hard to THINK islamically. I am a creature of habit....first thing I do when I get in the car in the evenings after work is crank up the stereo to release stress and detox myself. I still think and say things outloud that are just UNISLAMIC and feel bad after....for example...if driving down the road and someone cuts me off I curse like a Russion Sailor! It isn't an easy thing to teach your brain how to think all over again......

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
Salaam akhi,

Okay, I was looking at your response differently. I thought you were being militant and saying that you can't wear baggy sweat pants. :cool:

Lol, no problem it happens. On this subject, one thing that i cant understand though is some people act like the only correct hijaab is the salwar kameez and see-thru dupatta worn at half-mast.

Back onto what you said in your last post, things go step by step for the believer. You don't become Muslim and have a beard on day 2 (some do maa shaa Allaah lol). This is a problem, i know some people who took shahadah and then their local "cultural" imam said they cant do this n that n this, basically eveything they did do! So they turned away but came back later, alhamdulillah after meeting the just and moderate (not modern n lax but moderate) muslims we should be. We take things step by step, even with knowledge. What is important is the aqeedah, purification and prayer, and we work on this foundation.

Thanks to you all for the guidance. And Thanks HumbleOne for knowing and understanding how little I know just yet and how much effort it will take until my mindset changes! It is really hard to THINK islamically. I am a creature of habit....first thing I do when I get in the car in the evenings after work is crank up the stereo to release stress and detox myself. I still think and say things outloud that are just UNISLAMIC and feel bad after....for example...if driving down the road and someone cuts me off I curse like a Russion Sailor! It isn't an easy thing to teach your brain how to think all over again......

Salaam,

Alhamdulillah that you get these feelings. You know there are people out there that actually never catch these feelings. It sounds so easy and simple. That's exactly Islam does to the believers. It makes you contemplate. It makes you think. There are even some people in the world that never cry. Their hearts become as hard as a rock and their eyes become dry as cement. These feeling you get are from the mercy of Allah swt.

Inshallah things will gradually become better. When I was not practicing Islam I use to listen to a lot of music, but over time it just started fading away. It isn't important to me any more. Now, you don't hear a single noise in my car. I pull to a red light at night and just stare at the clouds and stars....:SMILY231:

dianek

Salaam,

Alhamdulillah that you get these feelings. You know there are people out there that actually never catch these feelings. It sounds so easy and simple. That's exactly Islam does to the believers. It makes you contemplate. It makes you think. There are even some people in the world that never cry. Their hearts become as hard as a rock and their eyes become dry as cement. These feeling you get are from the mercy of Allah swt.

Inshallah things will gradually become better. When I was not practicing Islam I use to listen to a lot of music, but over time it just started fading away. It isn't important to me any more. Now, you don't hear a single noise in my car. I pull to a red light at night and just stare at the clouds and stars....:SMILY231:

Well sometimes....it's loud music to drown out the fighting monsters in the back seat!!! :) Figure when they realize I don't care and am not listening they will stop......

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
Salaam,

Actually that has happened and you know not to look when they drive by you!

:lol:

Yeah, well I still haven't (bothered) to get my licence so I'll wait till then. Subhaan Allaah, I was infamous for my loud music, my system, my speakers etc, but alhamdulillaah I gave that up before I was old enough for a licence (so no windows lowered, loud music, stare at the person who cant hear kinda thing)... I even had car subs!

But things are taken step at a time. The sahabah didn't abandon alcohol in one night, Allaah first mentioned the harms of alcohol in the quraan, then after commanding the people not to approach the prayer drunk, until eventually it was prohibited. The end result through this period of time, is that when it was prohibited it was easy for them to poor all their liquor on the streets of madinah, until they were flowing with rivers of wine.

Faisal_01

Art is my Expression
I used to be a shadow for a personal trainer. Whenever he wasn't there to work I used to train his clients. Bsed on my experience, touching will most likely involved to correct posture and for spotting. If you are uncomfortable with that, there are many gyms where they have a diffrent aerobic classes. You can attend those as an alternative. Many of them actually work on building muscle as well and has female instructors. If you want my honest opinion though, if a personal trainer touches you, it's not because he's doing it for the sake of touching you, it's to help you. They are health instructors and fall along the lines of a doctor. When I trained some of my boss's clients, some were Muslim women, and before I started to work with them I clarified them about touching. Most of them were actually surprised that I knew about it, and after I explained it to them, they allowed it because they knew it was for health reasons.

If you are gonna have a trainer, their job is to make sure you don't hurt yurself and a lot of times to do this they will need to spott you which involves touching.

:wasalam:

dianek

I used to be a shadow for a personal trainer. Whenever he wasn't there to work I used to train his clients. Bsed on my experience, touching will most likely involved to correct posture and for spotting. If you are uncomfortable with that, there are many gyms where they have a diffrent aerobic classes. You can attend those as an alternative. Many of them actually work on building muscle as well and has female instructors. If you want my honest opinion though, if a personal trainer touches you, it's not because he's doing it for the sake of touching you, it's to help you. They are health instructors and fall along the lines of a doctor. When I trained some of my boss's clients, some were Muslim women, and before I started to work with them I clarified them about touching. Most of them were actually surprised that I knew about it, and after I explained it to them, they allowed it because they knew it was for health reasons.

If you are gonna have a trainer, their job is to make sure you don't hurt yurself and a lot of times to do this they will need to spott you which involves touching.

THAT WAS MY THINKING AS WELL......besides I can't see him looking at me in any perverse way....that is why I need the help!!!!

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member

I can understand that for a physio therapist, but not for a mere trainer who people go to leisurely to look great or something similar. The most important thing is that these things are taken to the Qur'aan and Sunnah. If nothing clear is found then to the inheritors of the Prophets, the Scholars.

Faisal_01

Art is my Expression
THAT WAS MY THINKING AS WELL......besides I can't see him looking at me in any perverse way....that is why I need the help!!!!

They won't look at you in a perverse way, because they are professional and if you feel that you are being looked at sexually then you can always bring a sexual harrassment charge on them. If I could bet you, I'd bet you that you won't be looked at like that by the trainers because a) they are there to make money off of you and they will do anything to make you feel comfortable to have you stay with them and b) most trainers can't afford to deal with a lawsuit. They make a lot of money but not enough to deal with lawsuits.

I highly recommend getting a persoanl trainer because not only will a trainer help you duing exercise, they will also keep track of your diffrent nutrition intake (such as supplements) and your diet for you. Now isn't that convinient? I used to hate that part of the job :SMILY335: