Is using a graphing calculator on my test cheating ?

PSPdude

:salam2:

My graphing calculator can bascially do anything and it includes solving any types of equation . The school didnt care what type of calculator you used , all it matters is that you must have a calculator . And the authors of the test made sure that you will have the least benefits from whatever calculators you will use . And it sure was like that , all the questions didnt basically need a calculator . But It came to one question where they gave you complicated looking equation and you have to solve it with the help of a calculator , unlike all the other classmates in class who just have normal calculators , my calculator can solve it in just a few pushs of a button and it will solve it .

So I was pluging-in all the numbers in my calc so it could solve the equation , but then I stopped because I thought I might be cheating , so didnt do it , I decided to do it myself . So I did And found out later I got the question wrong . Tell me If I did plug in the equation into my calc and get the answer ,,, would that be considered cheating ?

PSPdude

And anyone know why I failed it even though I studied for it since august and prayed to allah to help me ?

muslimummah

Just a brother
I think using a graphics calculator would constitute of cheating , specially you're using one these TI or high models. These calculators solves equations, graph, find point of intersection, slopes and many other things that you are learning. Often times, in high school or even in university (depending of professor) doesn't really pay attention what type of calculator student will be using.

Sometimes, the teacher may say use partial portion of question to use a scientific calculation (for example, to find determinant of matrix) and then follow through the rest question by yourself. This is usually is done when it is i time consuming.

Imagine you're given a spelling test and you've dictionary beside you. Best bet to ask your teacher if you're allowed to use that particular calculator for your test (saying some of the functionality it can perform)

Zaynab123

Subhana Allah!
Asalamu alaykum

well my teachers tell me wether to use my graphing or not. so if they said to you it didn't matter what calculator you use then i don't think that's cheating.

wasalam

amirah80

*Fear Allah*

The best thing to do in this situation is ask your teacher since he/she administers the test. They will know which calculators are to be utilized for each portion wether it be a traditional or graphic calculator. Then you will have your answer because you do not want to risk assuming if it is cheating or not and receive a 0 or lesser mark because they consider it is cheating and you thought different.

Waslam Amirah80

LaLa09

♥Amor vincit omnia♥
i agree with sister amirah, but in that moment i didn't think it was cheating, you were just prepared:lol:

PSPdude

Thx for your answers

I wonder Allah does this kind of test or punisment (hope not) to his practicing servants only and not to the non-practicing ones bec I see the non-practicing ones are pretty okay with these type of things . And I remember Just a few weeks ago two brothers or sis I think failed a test even though they studied hard and prayed a lot for allahs help . I even Went to another muslim site ( just like tti ) the young members like me also failed important tests even though they studied hard and prayed . I wonder , But who knows it could bring out the good in us . ALLAH KNOWS !!