Islamaphobic or Foreign-aphobic?

q8penpals

Assalam aliekum

I am curious- I hear of people posting here about the discrimination they have faced (specifically because of wearing headscarf) in the US....I have had several friends who "experiment" wearing headscarf (Muslim style) through airports, to work, in public, and none have reported anything beyond minor curiosity on the part of the people they interact with. I wear my headscarf through the airports and have never even gotten a second look - even with Saudi, Egypt, and Kuwait in my passport, and a photo that does not match me (my photo is still without headscarf, due to my cheapness at not wanting to spend $80 now when my passport is up for renewal in a year and I will have to pay then anyway).

I am wondering then, if the discrimination is also tied to being non-White (ie, "foreign" whether born in US or not)? I mean, there are a lot of foreigners who complain of discrimination that doesn't have to do with religion.

I just am interested to know - how many of the hijabis here would fit the category of being "white" and what your experiences have been wearing hijab in the US (or Western Europe, I suppose)?

I can honestly say, I haven't had any problems whatsoever - airport security, random walking around (I can't comment on job, because I work in Kuwait!).

Lana

sazk

Banned
the most i had a problem was that they make me take off my cap for identification purposes. ofcourse i'm male so thats no prob for me, but it would be something else to make a woman take off her hijab. but men tend to pick on some women and not others, due to various reasons. sometimes they just like to bother, other times because white women know the law and can sue them so fast it'll make the guy's head spin, so they leave the white women and try to bother other women. also white people have a lot of racists amongst them so those ones tend to pick on non white women due to that.