It is a Fabricated Hadith

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Assalaamu'Alaykum,

I have posted this because i remember watching a video on Youtube awhile back and it referred to the fifteen punishments for not praying. I will not post the video, but here is a Fatwa in relation to that fabricated hadith and for those who abandon the prayer.

Question

There is a paper being circulated among the people containing a Hadith attributed to the Prophet :saw: which says:

Whoever is neglectful in the prayer, will be punished by Allah with fifteen punishments.

- up to the end of what is written on the paper. How authentic is this Hadith?

Answer

This Hadith is a lie fabricated against the Prophet :saw: without any basis in fact, as was made clear by Al-Hafiz Ath-Thahabi – may Allah have mercy on him – in Al-Mizan as did Al-Hafiz Ibn Hajr in Lisanul-Mizan, so whoever finds this paper should burn it, and whoever finds it should be warned against distributing it, in order to defend the Prophet :saw: and protect his Sunnah from the untruths of the liars.

And what is written in the Noble Qur’an and the authentic Sunnah from the Prophet :saw: regarding the importance of prayer and warning against negligence therein and the threat (of punishment) for those who do so, is sufficient and stands in no need of the fabrications of these liars, such as the Words of Allah, the Most Glorified:

Guard strictly (five obligatory) As*!Salawât (the prayers) especially the middle Salât (i.e. the best prayer *! 'Asr). and stand before Allâh with obedience [and do not speak to others during the Salât (prayers)].

[2: 238]

And the Words of Him, the Most Glorified:

Then, there has succeeded them a posterity who have given up As-Salât (the prayers) [i.e. made their Salât (prayers) to be lost, either by not offering them or by not offering them perfectly or by not offering them In their proper fixed times, etc.] and have followed lusts. so they will be thrown In Hell.

[19: 59]

And the Words of Him, the Most Glorified:

So woe unto those performers of Salât (prayers) (hypocrites),

Who delay their Salât (prayer) from their stated fixed times,

[107: 4-5]

And the Verses carrying this meaning are numerous. And the Prophet :saw: said:

The covenant which is between us and them is the prayer, and whoever abandoned it, has disbelieved.

[At-Tirmithi no. 2621, An-Nasa’i no. 464 and Ahmad 5: 346, 355]

And he :saw:

Between a man and disbelief and Shirk is leaving the prayer.

One day when he mentioned the prayer to his Companions, he :saw: said:

Whoever guards it strictly will have light, evidence (of his faith) and deliverance on the Day of Resurrection. And whoever does not guard it strictly will have neither light, nor evidence (of his faith) nor deliverance; and he will be gathered on the Day of Resurrection with Pharaoh, Haman, Qarun and Ubayy bin Khalaf.

[Ahmad 2:169 and see Majma’uz-Zawa’id no. 1611]

Some of the scholars said, in explanation of this Hadith, that whoever neglected the prayers will be gathered on the Day of Resurrection with these disbelievers, because if he neglected them due to leadership, then he resembles Pharaoh, and whoever neglected them due to being a Minister or other employment, then he resembles Haman, the Minister of Pharaoh and so he will be gathered with him on the Day of Resurrection and taken to the Fire. And whoever neglected them due to wealth or desires, resembles Qarun, whom Allah caused the earth to swallow up, along with his house, due to his arrogant refusal to follow the truth, because of his great wealth and his following vain desires – and he will be gathered with him and taken to the Fire. And whoever neglected it because of trading and other kinds of dealings, resembles Ubayy bin Khalaf, the disbelieving trader from among the people of Makkah – and he will be gathered with him and taken to the Fire. We ask Allah to save us from being in their situation and that of those like them.

Ibn Baz (Rahimahullah)

[Reference: Fatawa Islamiyah, Volume 2 – Purification and Prayer, Congregational Prayer, Pg. 350 – 352]

Walaykum Salam