Journey of a Lifetime: My Way to Islam

UmmTaymiyyah

Assalamu alaykum,
Masha'Allah a nice story of a sister embracing Islam.

Bismillah Ar-Rahman Ar-Raheem, in the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

My journey to Islam alhamdulilah began after September 11, a time when many who had never heard of Islam were becoming more interested in what the religion was really all about. Many people at the time, including myself, had this notion that Islam was about killing and hatred, a religion of male domination and oppression of women. A few months after September 11, I decided to look into Islam and see what the religion really taught its followers—I had a very open mind and was willing to see the religion for what it was. Also during this time I was beginning to question my own faith (Roman Catholicism) and its teachings, which led me to learn about other religions.

I began by typing the words ‘Islam’ and ‘Qur’an’ into google, hoping to find some information that was useful, and lo and behold, there were many sites about Islam, unfortunately very few that were on the side of the Muslims. I did however, find information from a few Islamic websites that answered my questions, and I was also able to find websites with a translation of the Qur’an as well.

I read the websites and the translation of the Qur’an and continued to find more information for almost three years. I had never known any Muslims in my life, and had only ever seen a Muslim on TV, and we all know the kind of attention Muslims get from American media! I was 17 years old, living in a small town in Pennsylvania when I first began searching about Islam. When I was 19, I moved to Indiana with my mother and alhamdulilah, Allah (swt) guided us to a relatively large town where there were a significant number of Muslims and a Mosque! At the University I was attending, I was able to meet some Muslims who were very helpful in giving me books and CD’s to increase my knowledge (may Allah reward them). I soon after began attending Jumuah service at the Mosque where I met a lot of sisters who again were very helpful in giving me more information. I felt so at home at the Mosque, the women were very kind and warm, which was something I had never felt before at any church. After a few weeks of attending the Mosque and talking with other sisters about Islam and its teachings, alhamdulilah I converted after almost four years of exploring this beautiful religion.

I have been Muslim now for over two years and I have never felt happier in my entire life. Islam gives you something that no other religion is able to do—a complete way of life in the way of God. I was tired of going to church and worshipping God only one day a week! I wanted so much more in my life and alhamdulilah, Allah (swt) has blessed with me with Islam and guided me to the straight path—Allahu Akbar! Since my conversion, or reversion I should say, my 15 year old sister has also embraced Islam as well as several of my friends, alhamdulilah. Allah (swt) has also blessed with a righteous husband who has helped me out tremendously in becoming more knowledgeable in my deen.

I want to mention here another ‘journey’ that I went through during the past two years after my conversion: Wearing Hijab. This topic I believe is all too familiar to the sisters out there who are struggling to wear hijab. It really was a difficult thing to overcome especially being a new Muslim and dealing with the pressure of western life. Also the fact that all of my friends were non-Muslim as well as my family, made the process even harder. I went through a period when I first converted, where I would wear the hijab everywhere but to the university, then a time when I took it off completely. I honestly didn’t understand why I should wear hijab due to lack of understanding of the deen. This went on for a good three months until I began reading about women in Islam and why the hijab is so important. I read and read and read—not only about hijab but about modesty and the behavior of a Muslim woman. I was reading and praying on a daily basis until I began to love Islam and love Allah (swt) so much that I wanted to do everything I could to please my Lord. I kept remembering a verse from the Qur’an which states:

"And whosoever is conscious of Allah, He will make a way for him to get out (from every difficulty). And He will provide him from (sources) he never could imagine. And whoever puts his trust in Allah, then He will suffice him. Verily, Allah will accomplish His purpose. Indeed Allah has sent a measure for all things." [65:2-3]

Anyone who puts their trust in Allah (swt), Allah will make things easy for you and help you to overcome your difficulties. When I really became conscious of Allah and began to really fear him and know that this life is nothing more than a test, I put the hijab on without any doubts in my mind. Ever since then I have been wearing hijab and abaya, alhamdulilah, and not a single person has ever said anything to me about it except good things. SubheinAllah. As Muslim women especially living in the west, it is so important to really know your religion and know that even though we may not like something, it may be good for us and we need to follow what Allah (swt) has prescribed for us. I ask Allah to make it easy for the sisters to put on hijab and be proud of who they are, MUSLIMS.

All thanks are due to Allah (swt), the Lord of the Worlds.

“Surely you cannot guide whom you love, but God guides whom He pleases, and He knows best those that would be guided” (Qur'an 28:56).

Taken from Islamway.com

bdot

SubhanuAllah

MashaAllah

May Allah (swt) bless you for your strength in overcoming the obstacles that stood in your way. And, may Allah (swt) allow you to find joy in Islam, everyday, in both this life and the next. InshaAllah

Asalamualaikum waRahmatuAllahi wa barkatahu

UmmTaymiyyah

Assalamu alaykum,

This is not my story, as I mentioned It was taken from islamway.com , but may Allah bless the sister, and make things easy for her ameen.

Argus

A great story

A wonderful story, thank you for sharing it with us sister (me kinda jealous of this sister being able to bring her sister and several friends of her to Islam, Alhamdulillah).

Assalamu alaykum,

This is not my story, as I mentioned It was taken from islamway.com , but may Allah bless the sister, and make things easy for her ameen.

sky_012

Subahanallah sister you have done a great thing by sharing this article with us here , It made me think a lot about my own condition and how i should correct myself and improve myself immediately before it is too late
Jazak Allah Khair

SiStA DiNa

Salam Alikoum Argus,

I feel the same way as you... I am also a bit jealous (but in a good way)because I would love it if my family would be at least be interested in Islam.

But, Al Hamdoulilah ! Anything is possible and Allah guides whom He wills.. Perhaps I can seek a lot of knowledge and maybe I could do Dawah with that insha'Allah.

Salam Alikoum.

SiStA DiNa