Jumu'ah with 3 people

Abu_Luqmann

Assalamualaikum,

There are only a handful of muslims in the place I work. Last week we had only 3 people for Jumu'ah prayer and one of them said that a Jumua'h khutbah is given only if more than 3 people are present.

We ended up praying 4 rakah dhur just like any other day.

I know that we should go to a nearby mosque, but it is not possible with my present work commitments (only for a short while though!)

Does anyone know a ruling regardning this issue? (Please provide reference)

salams

Waseem203

Young Muslim
Salam

At school we actually do salat al jumuah with a imam coming in, we have about 12 or 13 people present and he told us that we actually need more than three people aswell.Im not sure if that is correct though. Are you sure you can't find an extra person, jum'uah is very important for Muslim males.

daywalker

People may pray jumah only at that places, where 5 time salah is also prayed with jamah.

and about few people, you should ask scholars personally inshallah.

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Assalaamu'Alaykum,

Question

I have read in some books that one of the conditions for establishing the Friday prayer is that there be forty persons present upon whom the Friday prayer is an obligation. And previously, in the magazine Ad-Dawah, a ruling from His Eminence the Shaykh has been published which states that it may be established if there are two present with the Imam. How can we reconcile these two views.

Answer

Making the presence of forty people a condition for the establishment of the Friday prayer is a saying of some of the scholars, including Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal - may Allah have mercy on him - but the most authoritative saying is that it is permissible with less than forty - and the least number is three, as was made clear in the ruling mentioned by the questioner ... sincer there is no proof that forty are required. The hadeeth which states that forty are required is weak, as was shown by Al-Hafiz Ibn Hajar in Bulugh-ul-Maram

Ibn Baz

Question

What is the smallest number of persons necessary for the Friday prayer and the giving the sermon?

Answer

There is much difference of opinion in this matter among the scholars, but the most correct saying is that the minimum is three: The Imam and two others with him. So if there are three free, resident men in a village who are obligated to pray, they should establish the Friday prayer and not pray Zuhr, because the evidences for the lawfulness of the Friday prayer and its obligation include them and any greater number.

Ibn Baz [may Allah have mercy on him].

Refrence [for both Fatawa's]: Fatawa Islamiyah, Volume 3 - Purification and Prayer, The Book of Prayer, Pg. 471-472

Walaykum Salaam.

yameenahmed

YOUR DEEDS WILL BE BASED UPON UR INTENTION -SAHIH BUKHARI hadith number 1and 51 so allah will defiently accept ur friday prayer but i think there should be atleast forty persons for jumma namaz according to many scholars