Just noticed something

besmiralalbani

Think for yourself
Asalamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu

The believer should not be pessimistic or superstitious, rather he should always be optimistic and think well of His Lord. If he hears something or sees something he should hope for the best, even if it seems to be otherwise. He should hope for good from his Lord in all circumstances. This is how the believer is, for all his affairs are good, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“How wonderful is the affair of the believer, for his affairs are all good, and that does not apply for anyone except the believer. If something good happens to him he gives thanks, and that is good for him; if something bad happens to him he bears it with patience, and that is good for him.”
Saheeh Muslim, 2999.

Alhamdulilah, for the guide.
Alhamdulilah, for everything.
Alhamdulilah for the patience.

And bear with patience whatever befalls you. (Qur 'an 31: 17)

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~
Assalamu alaikum

Brother that's exactly what i was talking about!!!!You know a lot about this....:).When a person is depressed ( there are different stages too) he or she sometimes feels stuck inside a dark hole.It eats a person from inside.

May ALLAH SWT help us stay steadfast on the right path and remain positive during difficult situations....Ameen.

Wa 'alaikumassalam WaRahmatullah sister,
Yes there is a whole lot of negativism depression brings along.
Life is too short and there is no time in it for sadness,depression or angish.
In fact I have devised a method(bi'idhnillah), to vanquish any kind of negativity that comes to my mind,a sentence,"Life is too short to be ______ ".In the blank space, place any negative thoughts,that come to our mind.

The believer should not be pessimistic or superstitious, rather he should always be optimistic and think well of His Lord. If he hears something or sees something he should hope for the best, even if it seems to be otherwise. He should hope for good from his Lord in all circumstances. This is how the believer is, for all his affairs are good, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“How wonderful is the affair of the believer, for his affairs are all good, and that does not apply for anyone except the believer. If something good happens to him he gives thanks, and that is good for him; if something bad happens to him he bears it with patience, and that is good for him.”
Saheeh Muslim, 2999.

Alhamdulilah, for the guide.
Alhamdulilah, for everything.
Alhamdulilah for the patience.

And bear with patience whatever befalls you. (Qur 'an 31: 17)

Indeed brother a believer is always optimistic and that hadith of yours,shows how masha'Allah!
Every affair of a mu'min is good!
For example there is a famous quote that most of us know,Ibn al-Qayyim(rahimhullah) said: One day he – meaning Ibn Taymiyah(rahim hullah) – said to me: What can my enemies do to me? My garden and my jannah both are in my my heart; wherever I go it is with me and never leaves me. My detainment is seclusion (an opportunity for worship), my being killed is martyrdom, and being expelled from my city is a journey.

He took these 4 very negative things,abandonment,imprisonment,being killed and being exhiled,he took them and turn them into something absolutely positive,when he related it with the hope of gaining Allah's pleasure.His first word,my garden and jannah both are in my heart,tells us that it's all in the way we perceive things.
:jazaak:

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
:wasalam:
Sister,I know and have seen people taking pleasure in being depressed.It's actually a fad nowadays.They create unnecessary wall around them and fill themselves with sorrow and depression.It's mostly teenagers who do it and it's also kind of a fashion statements,(goth/emo).This is also being taught by a media on a sub conscious level.People especially kids/teenagers are being programmed to believe in such things.
This is further amplified with people going to other ideologies and following them rather than sticking to the deen of the nature that they were created upon.Covered in this darkness,they try to find solace in it,except that there is none.This is what happens when anyone other than Allah is sought.
Such people should be warned that they are going down a hole right now,out of which coming out is impossible.No one's innate nature is to be depressed,sister,it's a self imposed idea.An idea that eventually becomes that person's reality.
The mask that we wear eventually sticks to our faces and become us.We become what we were posing to be.Would a person like to be depressed all their lives?NO.
It wouldn't help you function,interact socially and become sorry case of existence.
The true knowledge of what self is from Qur'an and sunnah will help that person insha'Allah come out from such a false belief that makes them end up being depressed.
Also a visit to a Doctor is needed.

:salam2:

I am familiar with gothic/emo types----they're not taking pleasure in depression, rather they're trying to make a fashion statement first. They're more aggressive than depressive--I went to high school with them (they wear all black, act tough and some of them cut themselves).They also listen to rock or hard metal songs and are by themselves often. However, my first initial thought of "depression" is not on emos/gothic--simply because they have "chosen" to be that way and depressed people have not. Depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain and it effects people. It is a pain in the heart, an empty feeling, a confusion of emotions. There is no pleasure in clinical depression and believe me brother NOBODY wishes to "choose" that rather than choosing happiness!!

Anybody who battled/battling depression would tell you the same thing. Yes, Goth/emo lifestyle is a new way for teens to make a statements about themselves, but this is not usually the cause of depression. There is an underlining issue/problem for depressive moods and sometimes those problem are hidden (hence, the person commits suicide and no one can understand why). Teenagers have some of the highest rates of suicide because they're more inclined to depression (specially girls). Teenage years are hard, it is the time when every teenager is seeking to find their own identity. Some choose the emo/goth lifestyle and dress code and define themselves as such.....some of those may become depressed because maybe that isn't who they're inside, maybe they do not feel accepted, maybe there is a family issue. These are the underlining problems a person should address...rather than saying so and so is gothic therefore, they're depressed.

Just my two cents.....

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Sister,

I started this thread to celebrate life. Why are you bringing depression into it.
There are a hundred threads on depression.

Back to life...and celebration...Don't bring rain on my parade...come on let us sing praises of Allah.

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
Assalaam walaikum,

Sister,

I started this thread to celebrate life. Why are you bringing depression into it.

Back to life...and celebration...Don't bring rain on my parade...come on let us sing praises of Allah.

I am sorry if I offended you sister, I apologize

I felt the need to reply back to some previous posts. It was not my intention to sort of "hijack" your thread.

On a lighter note, here is a beautiful quote that I'd like to share: To completely trust in God is to be like a child who knows deeply that even if he does not call for the mother, the mother is totally aware of his condition and is looking after him. –Imam Al Ghazali

:hearts:

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~

I am familiar with gothic/emo types----they're not taking pleasure in depression, rather they're trying to make a fashion statement first. They're more aggressive than depressive--I went to high school with them (they wear all black, act tough and some of them cut themselves).They also listen to rock or hard metal songs and are by themselves often. However, my first initial thought of "depression" is not on emos/gothic--simply because they have "chosen" to be that way and depressed people have not. Depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain and it effects people. It is a pain in the heart, an empty feeling, a confusion of emotions. There is no pleasure in clinical depression and believe me brother NOBODY wishes to "choose" that rather than choosing happiness!!

Anybody who battled/battling depression would tell you the same thing. Yes, Goth/emo lifestyle is a new way for teens to make a statements about themselves, but this is not usually the cause of depression. There is an underlining issue/problem for depressive moods and sometimes those problem are hidden (hence, the person commits suicide and no one can understand why). Teenagers have some of the highest rates of suicide because they're more inclined to depression (specially girls). Teenage years are hard, it is the time when every teenager is seeking to find their own identity. Some choose the emo/goth lifestyle and dress code and define themselves as such.....some of those may become depressed because maybe that isn't who they're inside, maybe they do not feel accepted, maybe there is a family issue. These are the underlining problems a person should address...rather than saying so and so is gothic therefore, they're depressed.

Just my two cents.....

Yes, ukht.It's a fashion statement.I agree with you.My point was the sub culture it propagates,is responsible for unnecessary self imposed dark ideas.If you have encountered this culture at school,I am sure you must be aware of what type of songs and poetry these people listen to and who in their right mind would cut themselves?These dark ideas lead to the creation of an emptiness,which will most probably lead to a mental disorder if the lifestyle is continued.I mean to say,they chose a lifestyle,which ultimately lead to a mental state which was unhealthy.This type of popular subculture is being promoted via media and internet.A 13 year old girl,Hannah Bond from England who was described as perfectly well suddenly one day killed her self, her parents found her hanging by a tie from her bunk bed at their home.
I know sister,that anyone who has battled or is battling depression would never "choose" it,but of the many reasons responsible,this is one of the promoted ones.Initially starting as fad,or need of attention,it develops into something so nightmarish that no one would wish it even upon their enemy.I had been in an hospital ICU for two days once, because I was diagnosed with mild symptom of psychosis .Alhamdulillah it's cured now,though I still am on medication for Allah knows how long.I tell you sister,that it is right ,no one chooses it,when they are affected,but it's being widely promoted via media and internet, a culture which will lead to this but abyss ultimately.Adolescents are usually drawn to these things when there is insecurity in life and they are at a tender age and things are too much for them.I totally agree with you that the underlying issues are needed to be addressed,but sometimes people surround themselves with a wall,that they dont want to share their problems with anyone and fill their lives with more sorrow.
Sorry for this essay lol,my point was that popular culture is also one the things responsible for such incidents where sorrow is self imposed,like in case of that girl Hannah Bond.Like something where they find solace or something.Wallahu 'aalam
Alhamdulillah for the guidance.
Sorry for the essay again.

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~

I think I bought too much negativity here,
For a change :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYsGzvTspIc[/ame]

MuslimShadow

Assalaam walaikum,

Sister,

Opps sorry!!Just one question please. Why don't you support the idea of going to a doctor??I mean what's wrong in that?

^

We understand each other now.....I do not mind the "long essay." Thank you for sharing the link.

And how did your interview go??..........i remember it sis...:):)

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

The medical model we have today is one of many. Why limit ourselves to one model exclusively. I have seen other methods work as effectively, short of surgery.

This is not my thread...let us have one thread that celebrates life.