Keep them good company in this world

butterflymuslima

This was a myspace bulletin. Thought I would share. Make sure you look at the pictures at the end!

FRIDAY KHUTBAH

'Keep them good company in this world'

| Sheikh Muhammad al-Hamad|

Allah says, regarding our parents: "If they strive to make you join in worship with Me things of which you have no knowledge, obey them not; but keep them good company in this world, and follow the way of those who turn to Me. In the end, the return of you all is to Me, and I will tell you the truth (and meaning) of all that you did.
" [Sûrah Luqmân: 15]

I was thinking about this verse, and realized just how eloquently and gently it exhorts us to honor our parents. The command is a gentle one – "keep them good company" – but what we must do to uphold this command is great indeed.

Keeping our parents company means having to spend a lot of time with them, and to do so over the long-term. This means staying with them through thick and thin. Also, long-term companionship can grow tedious, but the child must bear that tedium with honor and kindness. When we realize what we are being asked to do in this verse, we realize just how great a right our parents have over us. No one on Earth has a greater right to our good company.

What does our "good company" mean? It means to be kind and attentive. It means to consult them in all matters that concern them. It means to show impeccable manners in speaking with them, and to never let our speech betray any sense of weariness or irritation. It means to listen attentively to what they have to say – and if they are repeating the same thing for the umpteenth time, we must react to it with as much interest and delight as if we had never heard it before in our lives.

It means to be generous with our wealth, especially if our parents are in need. How many children these days are neglectful of this fact! How many more deceive themselves by saying "my parents are not in need" and therefore lose out on the blessings of spending on their parents.

How many self-centered children foist responsibility to take care of their parents onto the shoulders of their sisters and brothers.
In many cases, every son and daughter think the same way, and as a consequence, they collectively leave their parents in the lurch!

Our attitude should be to make sure we get our share of the blessings in taking care of our parents, even if they are not in need of us. If we have brothers and sisters, we should compete with them in doing so. Allah says about our good deeds: "And it is in such things that those who compete should vie with one another.
"

When our parents ask us to do something for them instead of asking our brothers and sisters, we should not feel resentment. We should feel happy about it. We should, after all, be trying to anticipate their needs before our siblings do.

Part of our "good company" is to gently encourage our parents to do good deeds and seek nearness to Allah. Believe it or not, some children do the opposite, especially when their own vested interests are at stake.

For instance, a child may be blessed with wealthy, pious parents. Those parents may wish to engage in a philanthropic project or set us up a public trust. The child tells his parents, feigning genuine concern: "Be careful. Think about this, my beloved parents, you do not want to put yourselves into financial difficulty.
" Of course, that "well-meaning" child is only interested in making sure his inheritance is larger when his parents die!

Part of our "good company" is to accompany them when they travel – or better yet – to take them out on an excursion or vacation.
Many of us are all too willing to go out with our friends, but how often do we think about taking our parents somewhere nice?

In brief, our "good company" means to make our parents as happy as possible. Indeed, this verse is giving us a weighty command.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Art zoom out

Pictures also available at:

http://img519. imageshack. us/my. php?image=artzoomouttr0. jpg

Ghareebah

Bint Abdulkadir
salam alaykum

that was reallly nice article...unfortunately the muslim children who grow up in western countries have selfish attitudes and dont care too much about their parents compared to those children who grow up in muslim countries who by far have more respect. it is sad to say girls are far more trouble and headache (and im a girl) for their parents because of their natural trait. i have experience in this..if youre just wondering. sometimes i just think its easier to live with just brothers, but allah ordained sisters for me as well as having brothers.

um_mustafa

sister in Islam
Mashallah it was a good reminder to all of us, and Sister Ghareebah has hit the nail on the head when she talks about the muslim children growing up in the West, subhanallah I have seen this many times but couldn't understand why , but then it must be the bad influence of the western culture and values that are being taught, we try not to let them affect us but when you are living in it 24 , 7 it must have an affect on you , inshallah Allah talaa will guide all of us. Ameen

butterflymuslima

Living in West...it' true!

You guys are absolutely right! I home school my children (4 girls and 1 boy!) This year my 14 yr old started public high school. She is appalled at the attitude of the children there and the teachers are amazed at her wisdom and maturity! We are letting children raise children in the public system and wondering why they are not growing up to be good adults?!

AleahKoto

Allah will decide
Close your ears to the things they MAY speak to you

Part of my belief, before Islam, was that my parents would never ever see the inside of a nursing home. It is even more important after becoming a Muslim. I will keep that promise insha allah.

My father took ill last December and died on April 9th of this year. He hated Muslims. He knew I reverted. Everyday, he would ask me if I had a suicide belt under my blouse? I still took care of him at home, did everything that was needed and was with him the moment when he passed away. I just shut my ears to what he said, and ask Allah to make me strong, so that I wouldn't say anything in error or unkind rebuttal to his remarks.

My Mother is still living. She hates that I wear hijab. At first wouldn't even walk in the store with me when I took her shopping. She has been a little easier about it lately, but still asks why I wear that thing on my head....I guess she forgot that when I was a kid, she wouldn't be caught dead in public without her hat, her gloves and long coat. My how things have changed! She makes comments on why I won't eat pig, and why I do this and that. I just smile, sometimes I can answer her, sometimes there is no answer. Now, she is ill. And I have no idea how much longer she can take care of herself. I will be moving in with her within the next month in sha allah. All I can say, is "close your ears" but open your heart, and do the best you can do.