khawla bint al azwar

A.Abubaker

She is mentioned in al Waqidi's futuh as-sham book which I had stop reading as the author was accused by some very prominent scholars of islam as being a hadith fabricator and liar. However, some scholars have argued that his historical narrations could be accepted or at least considered as long as those narrations are not used to derive any hukm or ruling.

One of the persons mentioned in the aforementioned book is ''khawla bint al azwar'' A very brave and respected woman who took part in the fight for the conquest of Sham.

Problem is I have not heard any other contemporary historian mention her or her brother ''dirar ibn al azwar''. Does anyone know if she was mentioned by any of Waqidi's contemporaries? I am curious as to whether she even existed or if she was just a fabrication?

Umm Abdullah

I've also read their story. It's so fascinating and inspiring tabaarak'Allah. I've always thought that the story was authentic, because it so widely known. Allahu A'lam I haven't looked into it in detail . Maybe someone else could be of help ?

AnotherAaisha

Hmmm.. I am looking into it. I also thought it was authentic since it is so widespread. Many institutions are also named after her. And of course people as well. I am going to try to find the truth in this. Is this really the only man who reports of her. The people of Hadith should know inshaa Allaah. Will get back to this thread when I find out. Inshaa Allaah

Kind of disheartening.

AnotherAaisha

As salaamu Alykum.
Just wanted to touch back on this thread. I haven't found the complete answer unfortunately. Walhamdulilah. But, have found out from a student here who specializes in narrators. He says yes of course this al Waqidi is a liar and a fabricator. He also says that not everything narrated from him is unauthentic. He says he wants to look into the chain of narrators. So that involves getting the book. Not sure how long that will take( meaning because I don't exactly want to purchase a book by a liar or fabricator), so I am going to see if I can find it somewhere to just borrow or something.
If anyone wonders why I am so interested and disheartened by this, it is because my baby girls name is Khawlah. And yes after Khawlah bint alAzwar....subhanAllaah