Question: Kulfi Ice cream

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Salam alaykum

Yes I understand why "roadside vendors" might not the best you buy something like ice cream. They might can´t keep they foods in fridge.

The food poisoning is not anything to say hehe - some people like very old or sick or children may die to it! I think that is the reason for goverment of India try to make it more safe to people.

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
I've not made Cardamom Kulfi before (mango flavoured, yes), but I have made similar cardamom/kewra flavoured ice-cream and, though I do not want to admit this, it was received well, Alhamdulillah. My father never eats ice-cream, but that day, he did. I, unless following a recipe, don't really note my measurements, so can't provide a recipe as such, but an idea.

Basically what I did was heat about a litre of milk, add sugar and let the sugar dissolve. I then let the milk reduce to develop some texture. I added cardamom/kewra/rose essence (if using essence, add at the end as it evaporates) and pistachios, and right at the end added some full cream milk powder. I let this dissolve and again, reduce further. The full cream milk powder changes the 'icy' texture of just frozen milk.

I didn't have popsicle moulds at the time, but had cube moulds and they were a winner with presentation as you can stack a few cubes and sprinkle some pistachio pieces. I let it freeze for a few hours, and because I didn't have an ice-cream machine either, I was stirring it frequently while it was in the freezer, about every twenty minutes or so. But I found that this wasn't as necessary as I had let the mixture reduce enough to have that smooth consistency, instead of it freezing into a block of iced milk. If I am not forgetting anything (something tells me I added fresh cream), that's pretty much how it went down.

My sister has made the more traditional Kulfi, but I wasn't around to taste it, and she tells me her recipe has fresh bread in it - sandwich bread. And her's, apparently, was something to remember. So if you find a recipe that has this, it shouldn't cause alarm, it actually helps with the texture. But if you have an ice-cream machine, you really don't need to worry about texture, which is the main thing in kulfi, so you're covered.

Mahzala

You know that fragrance in kheer? That's the kewra, which of course is used in many other sweets, but the alternatives are cardamom or rose, to suit us neighbours. Pronounced kewrha.

A.Abubaker

Yeah, I always thought was cardamom, they have a surprisingly similar scent considering the Kewrha ''sounds like a klingon word'' is actually a pine.

Mahzala

I gathered Star Trek lingo? I can proudly say I've not watched a single episode.

A.Abubaker

Yeah, Its one of the alien races in Star Trek ''very tribal pakhtun like.'' I used to watch it a long time ago when I was wee.

Haven't watched TV for at least Two plus years and it feels strangely good.

Well, you haven't missed much.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Kulfi

Yield:
20-25 Servings

Ingredients:

• 2 cups heavy whipping cream
  • 16 oz. frozen whipped topping, thawed (See Note)
  • 1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk
  • ½ cup ground unsalted nuts (almond or pistachio) (optional)
  • ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder (optional)
  • Pinch of saffron (optional)

Directions:

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl until completely combined. Pour into molds and freeze for at least 12 hours before serving.

Note: Small disposable cups can be used as kulfi molds. Cover cup with aluminum foil and insert a wood stick into the center. The foil will help keep the stick in place.

Source: http://myninjanaan.com/category/desserts/

Note: Frozen Whip Topping is a commercial product marketed as a substitute for whipped cream. If you can´t find it from your market, you can use the whipped cream.

If a recipe calls for 1 tub, assume it means 8 oz (225g) unless otherwise specified.

1 8oz (225g) container contains 3 1/2 cups.

1 cup frozen whipped topping, thawed = 1 cups whipping cream, whipped or 1/2 cup whipping cream, before whipping.