Let us not make a mistake! please observe

Saifadin_Qutuz

Nemesis of Decadence
Salam my noble brothers and sisters. I am 19 years old, majoring in history and International studies at university, and thus, i have a great fascination with history.
Why I believe history is important, and without it, we cannot prevail.
WHy one needs to look to the past, and examine it. I have this in my chest and need to share it. I have thought of the idea that if someone comes and tells me or you , "Unlike you, I think of the future" I figure I would have answered this way:

=2

I know, your thinking "huh?? whats =2??" =2 is the present, lets take "1+1" for example. > 1+1=2 , aha! So you see, the "1+1" was like the past, and the "=2" is the present. This means, that in order to understand and appreciate the present, we have to understand the past. In order to predict the future, we have to console the past. There is no future without past, but there is past without future. You only think of the future?? whats the point of only thinking about "=2" "=2" "=2" ?? 1+1=2

Second. History and past in sense are there for us to learn from, it serves as a lesson, examples and messages. We learn from the past . Say for example your parents punished you a terrible punishment, then after that in the comming days, will you try to do the same problem? or will you learn from your past?

Also, there are stories and tales from the past, and those we try to learn from. When you were younger or maybe even now, dont you like stories? Stories are basically history. hiSTORY.

If you go to a hospital, dont they ask for your file or something that has your past health records? Same goes in for police, they will look to you criminal record. Past ofcourse. All this is because they try to make sense of the present, and have an idea of the future.

Then, you cannot completely forget the past and your ancestors. If you die, do you want your relatives and close friends to simply forget you?? or do you want to be in their memories? dont you want them to atleast pay their respects and visit your grave?

Last, the Qur'an. It has a big deal of history. Stories and stories told in it, and God in the Qur'an says that people should learn from the past, and not fall into the same mistake. Some verses also mention that there are certain peoples and tribes that didnt try to avoid the same mistakes the people before them comottied.. so Allah got angry with them, and punished them.

Your comments and thoughts are welcomed :) May we emerge victorious

I agree 100% with what you are saying, but personally I don't think you should dwell TOO hard into the past. One thing that got me more religious, is when I started to think more about death. I worry that I won't see tomorrow, that I am not ready. In Islam you can't have too much hope, that your good deeds will be counted, you have to have alot of fear and worry about the next good thing you need to do.

Of course I love the past, reading about Islam and stuff, but I don't dwell too hard on it. I worry about my future too. I guess one should balance the 2.

bayareabilal

makakilo
Without history there is no YOU & I

Past present and future --- kind of like the mind body and soul! Where did we come from, what are we doing and where are we going are all valid questions. Everyday we do things to purify our mind body and soul, for example reading Qur'an, performing Wudhu or offering Salat. Our journey here on earth is to purify our heart and soul so that when Allah scans it (the heart) He observes it as clean and pure and thus accepts us and allows us entry into paradise. Thinking of death is a magnificent way to purify our heart and keep the wickedness of this earth from staining it. History is a great tool for many things but we must also keep in mind where we are going...to the grave, if we wish to maintain humility and seek good deeds. But without the ancient history that is our deen, we would be as lost as an unbeliever and as ungrateful as an arrogant beggar. So without history there is no future, unless you call burning in hellfire something to look forward to.
Bay Area Bilal
:salah:[/QUOTE]

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum,

History is critically important for us to learn lessons from. If we don't look at History then it would take us time to learn lessons (we would have to make the same mistakes that someone else has already made) & we would be at a danger of "re-inventing the wheel"

Please look at the Qur'aan and it continuously asks us to reflect on the people gone before us SO that we can learn and not to repeat their mistakes