** lie in order to please a brother?? haram or not?**

OsMaN_93

Here to help
:salam2:
question...

if a Brother/sister asks me "what do you think of the painting i painted(example) " and i say its excellent while it is crap :lol: - say it in order to not let the person down ?
is this haram?

jazakom Allah khairan
:salam2::hearts:

ahmad al magtani

Kulo Nuwun
assalamualaikum

its ok, i think. i ever read hadith narrated Muslim from ummu kultsum radiallahuanha,if im not mistake, rasulullah give 3 permission condition to lie
1.if your intention is to make a peace or friendship
2.if you are in a war condition ( for strategy)
3.if husband or wife want to create harmony relationship in their family

from your question,i consider it to permission no 1

amjaddamen

brother
assalamualaikum

its ok, i think. i ever read hadith narrated Muslim from ummu kultsum radiallahuanha,if im not mistake, rasulullah give 3 permission condition to lie
1.if your intention is to make a peace or friendship
2.if you are in a war condition ( for strategy)
3.if husband or wife want to create harmony relationship in their family

from your question,i consider it to permission no 1

yes you are right , these are the three situation were lie is permitted

and othman , you may remember that one of the best deeds (in allah consideration )is pleasing amuslim ( he or she offcourse )

:astag:

sajjuaiah

As-salaam alaikum,

Bro, & Sis, please dont give your "Own Fatwa" - Pleaseeeee

Please look and quote from relaible source.

Jazakmullah Hu-Khairan.

sajjuaiah

As-salaam alaikum,

Do not Lie even in Joke!

Do not Lie even in Joke!

by Shawana A Aziz

As-Sunnah Islamic Newsletter

True belief in Allah and the Day of Judgment implies that the person is truthful in his speech If he truly believes that Allah Hears and Sees everything he does and a Day will come when he will be accounted for his actions, then he will not lie. The Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: "Let he who truly believes in Allah and the Last Day speak good or be silent." [Saheeh al-Bukharee]

It is from the tricks of Shaytaan that he first makes sins look insignificant and minor in the eyes of the believers, and then gradually deceives them to commit those sins. Lying is one of them, and people do not show much concern about its prohibition, however, lying is a characteristic of hypocrisy, Abdullah Ibn Amr Ibn Amr al-Aas (radhi allahu anhu) narrated that the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: "Whoever has the following four characteristics will be a pure hypocrite; and whoever has one of these four characteristics will have one characteristic of hypocrisy unless and until he gives it up; whenever he is entrusted he betrays, whenever he speaks he tells a lie, whenever he makes a covenant he proves treacherous, and whenever he quarrels he behaves in a very imprudent, evil and insulting manner." [Saheeh al-Bukharee]

Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) warned us against lying by describing the severe punishments of Allah for the liars. He (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) related a dream in which he (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) saw people being punished; among them were two persons, whose cheeks were torn away from the mouth to the ear. He said: "I saw (in a dream), two men came to me. They said, 'The person, the one whose cheek you saw being torn away (from the mouth to the ear) was a liar and used to tell lies and the people would report those lies on his authority till they spread all over the world. So he will be punished like that till the Day of Resurrection.'" [Saheeh al-Bukharee (vol. 8, no: 118)]

The Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) explained that lying could cause one to end up in the Hell Fire, he (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: "Avoid falsehood, for falsehood leads to wickedness, and wickedness to Hell; and if a man continues to speak falsehood and makes falsehood his object, he will be recorded in Allah's presence as a great liar. And adhere to the truth, for truth leads to good deeds, and good deeds lead to Paradise. If a man continues to speak the truth and makes truth his object, he will be recorded in Allah's presence as eminently truthful." [Abu Dawood (Sunan Abu Dawood vol. 3, no. 4971)]

Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) has strictly forbade lying at all times, but he (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) specifically cursed the person who lies to make people laugh, he (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: "Woe be on one who speaks and lies in order to make people laugh, woe be on him." [Abu Dawood vol: 3, no. 4972.] This Hadeeth shows the gravity of lying in jokes, which has today become a very common behavior. People appreciate and encourage false jokes claiming that it brings joy and amusement - But in the above Hadeeth, the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) forbade lying even if the intention of the person is to amuse people, because one who habitually lies for sake of amusement, loses the fear of lying and he is very likely to later fall into harmful lies. So, the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) blocked this path from the beginning because of the bad it may lead to.

Islam does not prohibit joking. It is known through many narrations that Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) approved joking, and he (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) would himself play and joke with his companions and small children. Simak ibn Harb asked Jabir ibn Samurah (radhi allahu anhu), "Did you sit in the company of the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam)?" He said: 'Yes, very often. He (the Prophet) used to sit at the place where he observed the morning or dawn prayer till the sun rose or when it had risen; he would stand, and they (his Companions) would talk about matters (pertaining to the days) of ignorance, and they would laugh (on these matters) while (the Prophet) only smiled.' [Saheeh Muslim (1413)] So, joking is permitted in Islam but with some necessary guidelines,

(a) Joking should not involve lying, Abu Hurayrah (radhi allahu anhu) said that the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) was told, "O Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam), you are joking with us." He (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: "I only say what is true." [Tirmidhee] Also, listening to jokes that involve lies is forbidden, because silence in Islam indicates consent. Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) has ordered us to stop evil or at least speak out against it, if it occurs in one's presence. If one cannot gather the courage to speak against the one who lies, then he should leave such people who engage in lies to pass their time.

(b) Joking should not involve bad language or abusing people. Allah says in the Qur'aan: "O you who believe! A group of people should not scorn another group, for it may be that (the scorned person) is better than the other…" [Soorah al-Hujurat (49): 11]

Always Remember Before you speak!

Everything we say is being recorded in our actions and that one wrong word can take us to Hell Fire. Allah says in Soorah Qaf (50): 18: "Not a word he utters but there is a watcher by him ready (to record it)."

The Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: "Sometimes, a person says a thing which pleases Allah, and in return Allah raises his status (rewards him), and sometimes a persons says something which displeases Allah, and it takes him to Hell." [Saheeh al-Bukharee]

amjaddamen

brother
As-salaam alaikum,

Bro, & Sis, please dont give your "Own Fatwa" - Pleaseeeee

Please look and quote from relaible source.

Jazakmullah Hu-Khairan.

thank you brother / sister for reminding us of not issuing fataws .
what i said before is taken from very good squolar named "al nawawi "
the same man who authored " nawawi forteen hadeeth" and he is the one who iterpreted " sahih muslim "

"The learned compiler of this book (imam nawawi ) has put forth some arguments to prove that it is lawful to tell a lie under the stress of circumstances. An example of this is the case of a Muslim who hides himself or his money from a tyrant who is bent on killing him or taking his money from him. If one knows the whereabouts of this Muslim or his money and is asked about it, it is permissible to lie in this case to save a Muslim's life or his property, but it is better to give an equivocal answer, that is one which is not clear or definite in meaning, and that can be interpreted in more than one way in order to shun lying altogether. The sum and substance of discussion has been derived from the narration ascribed to Umm Kulthum (May Allah be pleased with her). She said: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "A liar is not the one who tries to bring about a reconciliation between the people and speaks good to avert dispute or to convey good.''
[Al-Bukhari].

It may be concluded that falsehood is permissible in the following three cases:

(i) While fighting Jihad in the Cause of Allah.

(ii) To conciliate between people.

(iii) For the husband to please his wife and the wife to please her husband."

i hope it is made clear now , may allah bless you all

:astag:

wardah noor

Muslimah 4 life
:salam2:

its a good question however is it not better to tell the truth? especially when its to someone you care about coz if you don't tell them the truth when they expect you to then who can?

the example that you used brother about the paiting if you tell your friend the truth it may prevent him from embarrassing himself. and no offence brother but if you lie to your own friend you are not really a good friend coz they expect the truth from you and you want them to tell you the truth aswell right?

but also if you start a white lie you will continuously lie it will become a habit.-- hope you understand what im trying to say, if i upset you in any ways im apologize to you in advance brother.
:wasalam:

Almeftah

salamu alaikom

The way i see it, Sometimes it is better to tell the truth even though it hurts. for truth straightens people in most ways.

As for the example given:
if a Brother/sister asks me "what do you think of the painting i painted(example) " and i say its excellent while it is crap - say it in order to not let the person down ?

I'd say it is better to tell the truth if he/she was a close friend,
because telling him otherwise, may entourage him to pursue it as a career in the future, then he'll get hard times from others telling him how bad his paintings are..

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him)
"The slave continues to lie and a black spot grows in his heart until all his heart becomes black. Then he is written, in Allah's Sight, among the liars"
Al-Muwatta Hadith 56.18 Narrated by Malik & Abdullah
ibn Masud

What are the types of the permissible laying in Islam?

Narrated Om Kolthoum Bent Okba: the messenger of God said the one who lies trying to
bring reconciliation with people, is not considered a liar.
So whoever lies as a way of bringing reconciliation with people is not considered a liar
If for example a man insulted someone in his absence, and that insult was heard by
another one, he may tell that insulted one that the man was speaking well about you, so
saying so, he is considered innocent, as that's among the permissible lies in Islam
Narrated yakoub Ibn Saad; I didn't hear the messenger of God permitting Lying except in
three occasions;
1) Lying in the war (deception)
2) The husband 's Lying to his wife (to satisfy her, like saying: "you are the most beautiful woman on earth" even if she was ugly.
3) Lying in reconciliation with people. Because the power of islam is in the unity of muslims.