Living after your Death: The Importance of Time

abu'muhammad

By Muhammad Alshareef, from "Hitch your wagon to the Qur'an and Sunnah"

"It’s important for a person to know that nobility of the era he is living in and the value of time. A Muslim should not waste his time in things that do not bring him closer to Allah, putting that which is very important ahead of that which is important, whether it be in the things he says or does. A Muslim should always keep a good intention kindled, always desiring to do good, without any laziness.
I recall a group of scholars from the past that used to capture every moment. It was said that a man asked Aamir ibn Qays to speak with him. He told him, “Capture the sun!”

And Thabit al-Bunaanee said, “When my father was in his death pangs, I went to assist him in pronouncing the Shahaadah. He told me, ‘Son! Leave me alone, for I have recited all my supplications 5 times and I’m on my sixth cycle now.’”

And once some members of the community entered upon a scholar whilst he was in his final breaths. He was praying and they asked him why he was pushing himself so much. He said, “My scrolls shall be rolled up in a few moments.”

Thus if a person knows that death is going to sever his actions, he should work hard in his life doing things which will continue to reap reward for him after his death. So, if he has a farm, for example, he should plant a tree or flow a river to bring water to others and work hard on raising children who shall remember Allah. Then all that reward shall be his after death.

Or, he should write a book about Islam (if he is capable of doing that), for indeed a book is a scholar’s immortal child. And he should perform good works - knowledgeable of what it is he is doing - so that people will pass down and imitate his good work.

This is the Muslim that has not died! People have died but with humanity they remain alive.

Allah knows best.