Logical reason for music being haraam in islam?

Itqan Ullah

Time is Running!!
:salam2:

I would ask for reference before holding onto that hadith...

:wasalam:
I have to agree with sister on this, I tried googling to find any reference for this hadith but I didn't find any, then I tried searching my Digital Bukhari,Muslim, Malik, Dawud with keyword 'steal' and went through all the hadiths, I didn't find anything like that there too (I can be mistaken here, coz there were quite a no. of hadiths and I just had a quick glance at every result), So, I can't follow this one unless I get the reference.

Itqan Ullah

Time is Running!!
Ah I had guessed that correct! :p but I remained quite for some reason.
Brother I request you to read saheeh bukhari, muslim, quran and listen to lectures by scholars and knowledgeable people instead of reading or hearing that book, I also used to sit during tableeghi jamaat functions to listen to that book until I discovered that it contains many Weak (Dae'ef) hadiths (and i have heard some are fabricated but I am not sure about this), even my uncle used to read this book for us when we gathered at our grandfathers house but I guess I will need to talk to him bout this next time.
anyways here's a link from this forum only that I found googling now:
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64303
I would contact you via PM for further discussion on this topic, since that would not be of any relevance with this thread.

Itqan Ullah

Time is Running!!
Brother I request you to read saheeh bukhari, muslim, quran and listen to lectures by scholars and knowledgeable people..

Oh duh I meant Glorious Quran, saheeh bukhari & muslim and listen to lectures by scholars and knowledgeable people. Quran comes first :p I need my edit post feature :p

rahman2040

oh yes i got it now why there was so much of contravercy over this book..
Thanks brother. but still my mother use to read this Fazail-e-Amaal, and Muntakhab-e-Ahadis). in urdu we have. And i have great respect for Muhammad Ilyas al-Kandhlawi for spreading religious movement of Tablighi Jamaat in india. now successful through out the world which enlightened many homes. May Allah raward him.

Ershad

oh yes i got it now why there was so much of contravercy over this book..
Thanks brother. but still my mother use to read this Fazail-e-Amaal, and Muntakhab-e-Ahadis). in urdu we have. And i have great respect for Muhammad Ilyas al-Kandhlawi for spreading religious movement of Tablighi Jamaat in india. now successful through out the world which enlightened many homes. May Allah raward him.

:salam2:

Something you should know about Tablighi Jamaat. As an Indian, I have been with them. Since, we dont have the knowledge of arabic, we sometimes tend to believe them. They are doing a great job but there are some innovations in their principles. Please see this video:

[yt]RUC62fNbi38[/yt]

And here - http://www.fatwa-online.com/deviantgroups/jamaaahattableegh/index.htm , you can get information on this group, including Shaykh al-Albaanee's opinion and Shirk in the book that you mentioned.

More about them:

[yt]hp7M74ok9as[/yt]

[yt]rfeSJlONuLI[/yt]

[yt]lGU6fvPPdmw[/yt]

K-A-K

Salam!

Well, if it is ONLY music that is stopping a person from accepting a way/ideology/belief/whatever he/she wants to call it, I'd say that person is probably not interested in it , in the first place... [again, that is my interpretation].

Music has its own effect on some people. For example, in my university, right beside the prayer room, we have a Christian worship chapel kind of a thing. Half the day you'd find some Christians there. Singing, clapping, dancing their heads off. Like literally their heads off. Their music blasts offfff. And at times, it does get on the nerves of the people around... All that time, they either yell "in the name of Lord" or "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus" ... or clap like anything, or tune their drums, guitars, pianos, etc. [I am honestly NOT exaggerating. Their words are mainly of empty praises But well, to them is their life].

Now compare this to Jesus' worship. Didn't he use to bow and prostrate? And think his thoughts over? It wasn't as if he used to sit with drums and pianos.

On the other hand, we have another room for meditation. Where people from other religions do come in... But their worship is meditation. They think things over.

I do not mean to criticize any specific form of worship. But if we draw a comparison b/w the modes of worship... which one sounds more positive or shall we say better? We have Christians yelling their heads off, reciting the very same lines day in and day out... We have people from other religions, bowing, prostrating and thinking...?!? Which one seems more reasonable?

Yes, music does excite our senses. an awful lot of it. But at times, in that, we forget to think and contemplate. On the other hand, thinking excites the brain and heart of a person. which again is way better, when compared. Worship does not imply words of praise alone. But a change in Personality and mind set, such that the actions change too.

Anyway, people say it is hard to leave music... I'd say it is completely a matter of choice and willpower. There's a difference between "Can't" and "Won't". And if they think music is an okay thing, well, who are we to pressurize them? Their choice. We are but message bearers. Agency remains with the individual. :]

The important thing is that music may have its good and bad effects (like alcohol), but when it gets to the point that our whole life becomes empty and hollow like the words/lyrics... then to what level was its benefit? Probably, music was a way to avoid the questions, the need, and the queries the mind used to pose. Its better to be a man of actions than of words (which very few of us are , at present).

wasalam people.
have the best day inshAllah :)

K-A-K

And please forgive me if you found any of my comments a bit stingy/senseless. It is entirely my view and take on things. It is Al-Hakeem who has Wisdom and Knowledge.

septithol

Banned
LoveForDeen wrote:
septithol,i ask out of curiosity,are you a muslim or somebody who's keen or learning islam...you seem to be hardworking...

Well, I like to think I am fairly hardworking compared to some people, who seem to have endless excuses for not coming into work, or who go to work, but then do little or no work when they get there. I probably COULD work harder, but when I put out 20 tons of newspapers in a night and my 'coworker' does nothing but sit and color, then I think I am working hard enough as it is.

But I do not make excuses for not coming in to work as many people do. I make SURE my alarm clock is working before I go to bed. Possibly there could be a blackout, but that is beyond my control. Other people constantly 'forget' to set their alarm clock.

As for music and other things I do, I take the philosophy of David Gerrold regarding that. In one of his books, the leader of an army unit gave a speech to the soldiers in the unit and told them that they were to:

"Have your fun AFTER your daily work is done. Not BEFORE. Not DURING. Not INSTEAD OF. Be responsible for your own behavior, and others will not have to be responsible for you."

At any rate, this business about other people having to suffer because some people cannot (or more likely, WILL not) be responsible for their own behavior, strikes me as both silly, and dangerous.

Silly, because if you extend that principal to everything, then you would have to require all people to wear diapers, since some severely retarded unfortunates are not potty trained, even as adults, and to lock everyone in jail as well, since some criminals cannot stop killing people, unless they are locked up.

Dangerous, because if you order your society on the basis of catering to either the innate or deliberate lack of responsibility and self control of some individuals, your society is now going to be run by and for those human beings who are mentally feeble, or criminals. Everything in your society will now be restricted to the limits of the worst people, rather than improving to the aspirations of the best people. And as these criminals decide to display more and more lack of responsibility and self control over more and more things, if one is going to cater to them, you are going to have to impose more and more restrictions on a society. And the criminals and irresponsible WILL display more and more lack of self control, until you stop tolerating it, just as a child will continue to throw tantrums, so long as it gets them what they want, rather than getting spanked, as they deserve.

Furthermore, the people in such a society will tend to degrade genetically, over time. An ability in a species, which is not exercised, or has no purpose, is eventually lost. This is why fish that dwell in caves eventually lose their eyes and birds that live on islands with no predators eventually lose the ability to fly (after a sufficient number of generations). This is basic evolution, learned in first year biology. Those who can't or won't learn or accept it, cannot become biologists, or any profession that requires a mastery of biology, such as medicine.

In this case, the sort of society you have organized is one in which self control and virtue have no real purpose. They have been replaced by a variety of restrictive crutches, to cater to those who are unable (or more likely, unwilling) to exercise any self-control or self responsibility. Under such a system, it is impossible to tell who actually has any intelligence or virtue, and who does not. And having intelligence and virtue would have no point, any more than having the ability to walk would have a point, if everyone were required to go about in motorized wheelchairs.

It's doubtful whether very many people would even develope any actual intelligence, responsibility, or virtue under such a system. One does not develope a muscle by taking away all opportunities to exercise it, or the benefits of developing it.

And in the long term, after enough generations, since women would be unable to distinguish between (indeed there would be no reason to distinguish between) the crippled and the sound, the feeble-minded and the intelligent, the criminal and the virtuous, the tendency would be for more and more people in such a society to be born crippled, feeble-minded, or innately criminal in nature. I do not regard this as a desirable outcome.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I do not know which angle to attempt to unravel your post.

For starters it is not that the severely retarded are not potty trained..it is they can not be potty trained.

The language of those who choose to follow Islam is one of total submission. This breaks down to the simple definition of it being not moving one step away from what it tells you to do.

Once again, there is no compulsion in religion. No one is forcing anyone to follow a rigid system. One follows the rigid system out of submission. It would be real easy if the system was elastic. But, we can not trespass on this. It is an individual choice. It is a positive choice.

As faith is a paradox, what overtly seems to be rigid is the key to the most flexible system found. It is Love. It is Compassion.

Depth and width have two distinct features. Wide does not have to be deep and deep does not have to be wide.

As for work...you know there is always that day...You feel Love is knocking on the door...well...you can call in late to work... after all would you be on time to work if Love was knocking on your door?

Ershad

@septithol Everybody knows about hypocrisy of libertarianism. I think libertarianism is the most stupid, silly and dangerous ideology I have ever seen. Anyway, I am not going to argue with you since you seem to be spreading your ideas irrelevant to the problems of the OP.