Looking for good practicing muslim community in the U.S.

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
Unless I'm mistaken, isn't Dearborn heavily Shia? I ask because I saw a documentary featuring the Dearborn Muslims and most of them interviewed were Shiite; they are in the process of building the largest mosque in the US and it was clearly Shiite.

My best friend visited Dearborn last month..and she told me that her relatives warned her before getting there (from Detroit) that though the city is seemingly Muslim..the *huge majority* of people there are Shiites from Lebanon & Iraq..and the biggest "masjid" there *is* a Shiite one...she even showed me flyers being handed-out to people and they contained information about Shiism..events they're having and things of the sort..it was slightly creepy

On another note..I always hear good things about the Muslim communities in NC..VA..and CA..many people say the Muslims are active and more tight-knit than other places mashallah..I asked a lot about it when I wanted to go to college out of state

P.S. the Muslim community in my state is very small and not very active..so I wouldn't recommend it :(

:wasalam:

Salem9022

If your looking to study then come to New York City. Brooklyn, Queens, or even Long Island(Nassua or Suffolk) is great Just dont go to Manhattan, its too expensive, and ALOT of Fitan you can off course travel there. We have a good amount of Muslims here from all around the world. Many of the Masjids and Muslims here also have slowly been following the Correct Manhaj. And you can see many of them following the Islam correctly.

Question: Which college do you want to study? NYC is like a Supermarket for Universities.

ximkoyra

Unless I'm mistaken, isn't Dearborn heavily Shia? I ask because I saw a documentary featuring the Dearborn Muslims and most of them interviewed were Shiite; they are in the process of building the largest mosque in the US and it was clearly Shiite.

Yes, I read about it yesterday. I think they've already built that mosque.
also Dearborn is 30% Arab-American and many are not muslims.

I guess Dearborn would be a good place for someone looking for a big Arab community rather than Muslim on. Idk.

Actually, that area is known as Dearborn Heights. I don't believe it is majority shi'a, but that mosque you're thinking of definitely is. It's extremely beautiful and you should definitely see it if you ever get a chance to visit.

Dearborn is part of what is known as Metro Detroit, which has a pretty large and very active Muslim community. Metro Detroit includes cities such as Warren, Sterling Heights, Troy, Rochester Hills, Bloomfield Hills, and many others including Detroit. I don't think any other Muslim communities in the US, except maybe in NY or Chicago can even compare in sheer size. But I could also be completely wrong in that respect :p