looks.....

Muslimah Ann

Asalaam Aluakim

I live in the south and me and dh seem to get "looks" every time we go out.
We went to the mall a week ago and we got stared at by a man in his mid 20's. I finally had enough and looked him in the eye and asked "is there a problem", he quickly turned his head and pretended he didnt hear me.
Does anyone deal with this? What do you do?

Shamim56

Muslim Brother
To be honest if i were you i woulda just moved to another place where he wouldnt be able to see me. Other than that ignore people who look at you while walking. I am a boy but my brother's wife wear's a hijab and she tells me sometime people go to her and tell her is she going to bomb them and she just walks away without looking at them.

palestine

Servant of Allah
Lol- sorry i'm not laughing at you, i'm laughing at the silliness of the stalkers. yes, i have faced these problems more than once or twice. i do what i can. i know it is rude for people to stare, but i take this opportunity as a time to make dawah. usually if someone is staring and i feel that they are staring out of curiousity, i would usually go up to them and confront them, and i allow them to ask me questions that they maybe wondering about regarding my faith. this way, you clear their misconceptions. of course not everyone who stares at us is doing it innocently or out of curiousity. some do it because of hate, which usually tends to be the most often. others simply wonder why we are dressed the way we are dressed. two summers ago, i was followed by a man in his middle ages in the store. i assumed that he had at least reached 40 or above. he follow me into three or four different aisles and he started using derogatory terms to try and frighten me. he even followed me to the cashier place without any grocieries. i yelled at him in front of the crowd, and the manager came over and took care of it. in the end, he was the one embarrassed, not i. and all the customers were staring at him. lol. but anyways, this is just one incident among many. i tend to be picked on too often by adults and non adults alike -why? simple, they can't accept that a hooded woman is walking in their schools and hallways, in their shops and malls, they can't accept who we are because they are islamaphobic. however, that is no execuse in anyway to be treated unkindly. i don't want their love or their affection. i don't want their communications or anything to do with them - but it seems they are magnets attached to me everywhere i go. there are some sisters who hardly even get picked on. but me, my life in this country has been somewhat difficult when it comes to discrimination and injustice. but hey, i'm willing to fight back for who i am. islam is worth dying for. take care.
wasalamu 3alaykum.

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
i can see the reasons why scholars said that if faith is weak in society generally, the women cover their faces.

but i know it might be not so easy in ur place. maybe when u see him, u just bring ur scarf down to cover the face area below the eyes. or change the route u take usually.

rightpath_357

To be honest if i were you i woulda just moved to another place where he wouldnt be able to see me. Other than that ignore people who look at you while walking. I am a boy but my brother's wife wear's a hijab and she tells me sometime people go to her and tell her is she going to bomb them and she just walks away without looking at them.

omg- they do that? that's SO mean/rude! well, thats how they are, i guess. We should have pity on them, and not answer

Almaas

Asalaamualaykum,

To be honest I would have probably reacted in the same way, but ignoring them by showing no reaction, and that i'm not bothered by their lack of manners usually works for me. Simply because sometimes I prefer to avoid confrontation, especially if i'm on my own.

May Allah swt keep you strong and patient Sister. Ameen.

Lol- sorry i'm not laughing at you, i'm laughing at the silliness of the stalkers. yes, i have faced these problems more than once or twice. i do what i can. i know it is rude for people to stare, but i take this opportunity as a time to make dawah. usually if someone is staring and i feel that they are staring out of curiousity, i would usually go up to them and confront them, and i allow them to ask me questions that they maybe wondering about regarding my faith. this way, you clear their misconceptions. of course not everyone who stares at us is doing it innocently or out of curiousity. some do it because of hate, which usually tends to be the most often. others simply wonder why we are dressed the way we are dressed. two summers ago, i was followed by a man in his middle ages in the store. i assumed that he had at least reached 40 or above. he follow me into three or four different aisles and he started using derogatory terms to try and frighten me. he even followed me to the cashier place without any grocieries. i yelled at him in front of the crowd, and the manager came over and took care of it. in the end, he was the one embarrassed, not i. and all the customers were staring at him. lol. but anyways, this is just one incident among many. i tend to be picked on too often by adults and non adults alike -why? simple, they can't accept that a hooded woman is walking in their schools and hallways, in their shops and malls, they can't accept who we are because they are islamaphobic. however, that is no execuse in anyway to be treated unkindly. i don't want their love or their affection. i don't want their communications or anything to do with them - but it seems they are magnets attached to me everywhere i go. there are some sisters who hardly even get picked on. but me, my life in this country has been somewhat difficult when it comes to discrimination and injustice. but hey, i'm willing to fight back for who i am. islam is worth dying for. take care.
wasalamu 3alaykum.

Wow, MashAllah, a great answer..very inspirirational. May Allah swt reward you and others who are put in such situations. ameen.

Walaykumasalaam