Make your deposits TODAY!

Tariq Rahman

Practising Muslim
Assalamu alaikum WRWB (May Allah (SWT) blessings & mercy be on all of you)

My brothers & sisters in Islam, Nobody can change us unless we want to change ourselfs May Allah (SWT) give all of us strength & guidence to be a perfect slave of him and perfect Ummatii of Muhammed (SAW) Ameen!

One who decides his goal will be able to focus his/her workout on specific areas and grow in this. The same applies to spiritual growth. A person cannot simply say:

"I want to be a better Muslim"

and then aimlessly go for it. It is best to say:

"I need to improve my prayers"
"I need to improve my relationship with Quran"
"I need to grow in knowledge of Sunnah"
" I need to correct my anger problems".

Then, using the guidance of the Quran, Sunnah, and knowledgeable advisors, one can do exercises, readings, dhikr, and methods to help him/her gain progress in the target area.

One who seeks spiritual progress cannot do so without making an effort to abstain from sins. The dhikr, tilaawah (reciting Quran), extra prayers, fasting, will all help the soul grow and purify, but unless one makes an effort to give up sins, one will find growth to be sluggish at best and non-existent, even regressive at worst. If we want to grow, we have to give up what is bad for us, or at least make an effort.

When we are about to begin prayers, recitation, dhikr, or anything else, it is best to begin with straightening one's niyyah, and if doing dhikr or tilaawah, to begin by praising Allah and sending salawaat (blessings) upon the Prophet (saw). This is the spiritual equivalent of warming up. If making dua, it is best to also seek forgiveness after sending salawaat upon the Prophet (saw) as they will clear the barrier of sins between your duas and acceptance by Allah inshAllah.

Many of us become over enthusiastic about spiritual growth, assigning to ourselves daily regimens of 1 hour of Quran, 1 hour of morning dhikr, 1 hour of evening dhikr, all the nawaafil, added with memorization with iPod throughout the day, and reading and attending lectures. When we are starting from nothing, this is EXTREMELY destructive, as we will not be able to sustain more than a few days before giving up completely.

Tadarruj - gradualism is the best way. Slowly adding acts of worship and increasing them in practical manners, a few minutes a day or a half hour a day is the best way to grow in our dedication. Focus on the faraaid first, getting your five prayers in, and slowly make the effort to add other things in that you can SUSTAIN over the long run inshAllah.

Companionship was the key to the greatness of the Companions of the Prophet - and it is by this characteristic that they are named! So companionship with good people who can encourage you on your path, listen to your memorization, and hold you accountable, even join you for a night at your house of night prayer and reflection together - can be a great asset. Even if you do not wish to share so much openness about your worship with someone, being in the company of good people who inspire you, can be sufficient to help you grow.

Allah (swt) tells us to "Hasten/race with one another in the doing of Good". And it is in this that we differ from athletes. Athletes compete with one another for the sake of personal gain, glory, competition, thrill, personal accomplishment, or to be proud. We hasten with one another for the sake of Allah and Allah alone.

Every person who works out can tell you that there is no progress without consistency. One must workout on a consistent schedule in order to gain results. Consistency is the key to gains. In the same way, a person must perform acts of worship and acts to gain nearness to Allah (swt) and better one's character with consistency.