Male circumcision

Believer1985

:salam2:

Salam brothers and sisters,

I hope I am posting this in the right section!

I am raising this issue after a non-Muslim friend of mine posted on her Facebook page how she is against the circumcision ritual. I know that as Muslims we carrythis ritual out and I stated on her page that for religious purposes not everyone is against it. She said she "Didn't buy that", as did some of her other non-Muslim friends. She has a son and claims to have done extensive research into this topic and said there are no benefits to circumcision and that it all boils down to the boy and how it is his choice after he reaches the age of 18.

As a Muslim, it is important to me that I outline my own views. I'm sick of being shy and reserved and not knowing what to say. I respect her opinion, but I would like for her to respect my opinion too, and, if she any kind of a friend, she will. I've known her for eight years and don't want to lose her. She otherwise very nice.

Please help me with this. I also read that circumcision is Sunnah, not Farz. So, Islamically, what are the benefits of circumcision?

:wasalam:

auroran

I'm not sure what Male Circumcision is so I Googled it and like the second result is about the benefits of circumcision! She must of gone to page 60 or something. What ever it is it bring a lot of benefits.

Believer1985

Salam and thank you so much for trying your help. I appreciate it, but the link you provided me with doesn't look at the Islamic viewpoints, but instead Western viewpoints.

Salam

sachin4islam

Assalam Alaikum:

This again makes me to scratch my head again. I am myself battling to undergo circumcision or not. There are many +'s and -'s of circumcision in context of medical view point.

But as a Muslim I would prefer to undergo circumcision for the fact that it will help me to be 100% pure for my prayers. An uncircumcised Muslim won't be able to free from traces of urine sticking to private part. Secondly it would increase chances of fungal or bacterial infections if an uncircumcised private part is washed again and again for making Wudu.

Regards.

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
when a man accept to submit himself to Allah's Will,he also is proud to make the "Pact"with Him by the circumcision.The Sunna says that it should be done when the child is 7 days old,but it is no a problem if he do it after some years.Regarding the new reverted men who may are not so young,I heard a Sheikh who said that if a misbiliever become muslim,but he feels in panic about the circumncision,because the operation may be more difficult because the flesh is not so tender as that of a chiild one,he can be muslim without making Tahara..it depends from the desire to be close to Allah.:wasalam:

Bawar

Struggling2Surrender
The Evidence

Assalamu alaikum dear sister

I am studying nursing at the moment so I had the ability to access online journals from my university website. I found several research articles about the benefits of male circumcision, but I think presenting only one would be sufficient here. If, however, you need further evidence, please let me know here. May Allah grant you with abundance of rewards for your good work.

P.S.: The reference that I used for the research article is based on Harvard Referencing Systme.

Here is a snapshot of the research article:

"
Abstract:Three randomized controlled trials in sub-Saharan Africa have shown that circumcision reduces the risk of acquiring HIV infection in men by approximately 60%. In this paper, we review the evidence that male circumcision protects against infection with HIV and other sexually transmitted infections (STIs) in men and their female partners. Data from the clinical trials indicate that circumcision may be protective against genital ulcer disease, Herpes simplex type 2, Trichomonas vaginalis and human papillomavirus infection in men. No evidence exists of a protective effect against Chlamydia trachomatis or Neisseria gonorrhea. There is weak evidence that circumcision has a direct protective effect on HIV infection in women, although there is likely to be an indirect benefit, since HIV prevalence is likely to be lower in circumcised male partners. Although there is little evidence from the trials of serious adverse events from the procedure and of behavioural risk compensation among circumcised men, essential operational research is being conducted to evaluate these key issues outside the trial setting as circumcision services are expanded. Following the publication of the clinical trial results in early 2007, the World Health Organization/UNAIDS has advised that promotion of male circumcision should be included as an additional HIV strategy for the prevention of heterosexually acquired HIV infection in men in areas of high HIV prevalence. As circumcision services are expanded in settings where resources are limited, non-physician providers including nurses will play an important role in the provision of services."

Castro J.G., Jones D.L., Lopez M. Barradas I., Weiss S.M. (2010) '
Making the case for circumcision as a public health strategy: opening the dialogue' AIDS Patient Care & STDs (AIDS PATIENT CARE STDS)Jun, 24(6), pp. 367-72 [online] Available from: CINAHL <http://web.ebscohost.com/ehost/detail?hid=104&sid=4e638d33-61e4-449a-925a-0520a4da9a54%40sessionmgr112&vid=1&bdata=JnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZQ%3d%3d#db=cin20&AN=2010696719> [Accessed 5 March 2011]

hamza162

Undergo a second circumcision?

I'm considering under going a second circumsion. I had a partial circumcision when I was 10 for philomosis where I still had some foreskin leftover covering a part of my glands. My wife suggests that I should under go a second circumcision for islam, so as to have the entire glands completely exposed and all the foreskin completely removed. I need some clarification here. Is it necessary for a second circumcision?? All Suggestions are welcome

sunnyhayat

Still trying to increas Imaan
It is good to get circumcision done as it is very hyegienic. I am teling this as a doctor as well as secretly reverted musim.
Assalam Alaikum:

This again makes me to scratch my head again. I am myself battling to undergo circumcision or not. There are many +'s and -'s of circumcision in context of medical view point.

But as a Muslim I would prefer to undergo circumcision for the fact that it will help me to be 100% pure for my prayers. An uncircumcised Muslim won't be able to free from traces of urine sticking to private part. Secondly it would increase chances of fungal or bacterial infections if an uncircumcised private part is washed again and again for making Wudu.

Regards.

sunnyhayat

Still trying to increas Imaan
Yes there is difference in medical indication circumcision and islamic circumcision. Even if you have done it before it is not islamic and getting islamic is always better.
I'm considering under going a second circumsion. I had a partial circumcision when I was 10 for philomosis where I still had some foreskin leftover covering a part of my glands. My wife suggests that I should under go a second circumcision for islam, so as to have the entire glands completely exposed and all the foreskin completely removed. I need some clarification here. Is it necessary for a second circumcision?? All Suggestions are welcome

ShyHijabi

Please do not issue fatwas concerning this matter unless you have the credentials.

Hamza,
There is no difference between a medical circumcision and an "Islamic" one. It does sounds like your foreskin was not completely removed for phimosis which is not that unusual in the medical field. My question to you is this, have you had any problems like infection or occurrences of phimosis again? You should speak to a sheik and ask this question.

kalamazoo

'Millat "IBRAHIM" {AleyhiSalaam}
asalaam aleykum;

should i make mistake please forgive me.

we know God do create things and pack them nicely
let us take for example banana....soft and sweet
so my dear ..circumcision......
do you read me ?

i mean you peeled it and enjoy the sweetness of it.

Murad206

La ilaha illa-Allah.
Assalam Alaikum, alhamdulliah I got my circumcision when I was still a little kid, it was pretty
much mandatory for everyone in my country. I remember when I was outside one day and I saw my brother with his friend, they came up to me and asked me if I wanted a gift and I said no because I knew something fishy was going on, so I tried running away but they grabbed me and took me in the house (this is where I got my circumcision on the table) a'lot of my family and a'lot of family friends where there to watch it, I was crying and yelling but at least after it my dad bought me a bunch of gifts heheheh.

Shak78

I remember when my son was born I was debating whether to get him circumcised or not, my husbands only reason was he was as a kid and didn't want to explain when he got older why they looked different. I was so totally against having him circumcised that his family did it when I was still in hospital after my c-section. After I took some time to read up on it and why it should be done I was no longer angry about having it done, still a bit miffed I wasn't there however.