Mascaras n nail polish in wudhu

muslimlady

I follow the Shafie school of thought and we cannot have waterproof make up or nail polish on us when taking wudhu. I wonder if any of the other 3 mazhabs allows us to keep waterproof mascara or make up and nail polish on us when taking wudhu.Would appreciate if anyone who knows about this, share the information with us here.

:jazaak::jazaak:

ShyHijabi

Salaam,

I follow the Hanifi mahtab and water must be able to come in complete contact with the areas being washed in wudu. If the person is wearing makeup or nail polish then the wudu is not considered valid. Hopefully some brothers/sisters from the hanbali and maliki mahtabs can bring forth their understanding of fiqh on this matter.

Though most people on here follow a mahtab they aren't aware of it. They practice fiqh a particular way because it's how they were raised. But of you asked them they would say, "I don't follow a mahtab, I am Muslim." Which shows a fundamental lack of undestanding of fiqh and mahtabs.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

muslimlady

thank you Daywalker and Shyhijabi for sharing with us. FYI, shyhijabi, where I am, when a person wants to be married, the marriage authority which governs all muslims, will ask the couple, of which mazhab they belong to.This is because of the recognition that there could be problems in the marriage for a couple of 2 different mazhabs. Key word being could. So basically they want to better the odds for the couple. Because marriage is hard enough without having that sort of differences.

UmmHusnaa

Salaam,

But of you asked them they would say, "I don't follow a mahtab, I am Muslim." Which shows a fundamental lack of undestanding of fiqh and mahtabs.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

I was bought up in a hanifa household (if you can call it that) and i have chosen not to follow any one particular school of thought. I take my knowledge from Qur'aan and Sunnah so what am i not understanding?

I tried to follow a school of thought, don't get me wrong, i am in no way saying that the great scholars of islam are wrong. I pray that Allah allow me gain even an ounce of their knowledge. I always found that i wasn't comfortable giving myself that label. especially when there seems to be so much dis unity.

I don't recall anywhere in Qur'aan or Sunnah it saying that we should divide ourselves into groups, pls correct me if i am wrong but aren't we meant to be following the path of our beloved Rasool SAW? Did He SAW refer to himself as hanafi, hanbali, shafi etc?

This is prob the wrong place for this discussion and i apologise.

In answer to the original question i too don't believe that waterproof makeup or nailpolish can be worn when making wudu.

ShyHijabi

Salaam Umm Husnaa,

The mahtabs are not about division but about interpretation of fiqh. For instance, the Witr prayer can be performed in two slightly different manners. The reason is because there is some confusion where the Hadith describes the prayer and thus after intense studying the two slightly different methods came about.

How do you perform the prayer? And if so, how did you come about to determine this method? The mahtabs are actually to help create consistency lest everyone begin using individual methods to practice and thus accidently fall into bidah. The four imams studied quite intensively and humbly told people it was their responsibility to ensure their interpretation of fiqh was correct by studying. They stated if there was a contradiction between their interpretation and the individuals findings in the Quran or hadith, then to not follow their interpretation but follow the method from the two sources.

Rasool did not need to follow a mahtab because his understanding was complete and pure. However, since the Quran tells us to perform prayer but does not describe the salat in the extensive way the hadith does, the scholars tried to ensure the absolute correct method. If I have said anything wrong I ask forgiveness from Allah swt.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

4 madhabs are not different that is true. But like abu hanifa was a fiqh scholor. malik was a hadith scholor. So there are little differences. Cause at the time of abu hanifa he did not have all the hadith available. I follow all four.

daywalker

4 madhabs are not different that is true. But like abu hanifa was a fiqh scholor. malik was a hadith scholor. So there are little differences. Cause at the time of abu hanifa he did not have all the hadith available. I follow all four.

what do u mean about all hadiths? who knows all hadiths?

Imam Ibn Taymiya (ra) in Raf’ al-Malam says, “If we were believe that the all the Ahadith of Rasulullah (Sallalahu Alaihi Wasallam) were confined to books, then no Alim knows all that is written in books and nor is it possible for anyone to know all. Instead, at times a person has many books with him but does not know all which it contains. In fact, those who came before the compilation of these books were much more knowledgeable than those that came afterwards. This is due to many Ahadith were authentic in there time but reached to us through an unknown narrator, or with a broken change, or did not reach us at all…Their books were their hearts which contained many folds more than what is contained in these [present] books. And this is something that a person with some understanding of the matter has not the slightest doubt. (Ahtar al-Hadith al-Shareef p. 173& 186Dar al-Basha’ir al-Islamiya)

every faqih has also achieved the level of muhaddiths, but not all muhaddiths achieved the level of faqih.

AAminAA

Amatullah
I follow the Shafie school of thought and we cannot have waterproof make up or nail polish on us when taking wudhu. I wonder if any of the other 3 mazhabs allows us to keep waterproof mascara or make up and nail polish on us when taking wudhu.Would appreciate if anyone who knows about this, share the information with us here.

:jazaak::jazaak:

:salam2: As far as is Islam concerned , the makeup is not supposed to be worn at all by muslim girls/womans.

ShyHijabi

:salam2: As far as is Islam concerned , the makeup is not supposed to be worn at all by muslim girls/womans.

Salaam,
This is actually incorrect as we are encouraged to where kohl around our eyes as it is Sunnah. Women are permitted to beautify themselves for their husbands in any cosmetic way that does not harm ourselves. If our husbands appreciate a wife who puts on lipstick and blush to greet him at home, then the fatwas and scholars have said it is permissible. We are not to beautify ourselves for nonmahrem however.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

UmmHusnaa

JazakAllah khair sis sarah for your answer.

I suppose i got put off following one particular school of thought when i saw the way some ppl go on about their school and how everyone else is wrong. for example the women in my household pray a certain way. I don't know how to explain it, but when in sajood they put their legs to the side of them instead of under themselves. when they saw that i prayed with my legs folded under myself they swore that i was wrong and went as far as to get an alim to tell me so. Fortunately he couldn't.
That is just one example. many a time i get called a wahabi for not following their way and that puts me off any one school of though.

In answer to your question i pray three raka witr, and do the final dua before going into sajood. Although i am still learning, i learnt that method from my mum. If and when i find evidence to say i should pray differently then i wouldn't hesitate than to change it.

Sis Aaminaa where does it say that makeup is not allowed? I thought we were allowed to beautify ourselves especially for our husbands.

ShyHijabi

Salaam Umm Husnaa,

I see what you're saying. The thing about mahtabs is one cannot say one is more correct than the other, even the four imams said if you had to choose between their interpretation or another's, choose the other's. In the end it's all details and the important thing is remembering the five pillars and trying our hardest to be a good Muslim.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

UmmHusnaa

Salaam Umm Husnaa,

I see what you're saying. The thing about mahtabs is one cannot say one is more correct than the other, even the four imams said if you had to choose between their interpretation or another's, choose the other's. In the end it's all details and the important thing is remembering the five pillars and trying our hardest to be a good Muslim.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

Alhamdulillah sis i totally agree.

:salam2:

muslimlady

Oh my my.......my dear sisters. This has turned into a debate of sorts. It was not intended to be that way. It was merely a question about waterproof makeup and nail polish of the other mazhabs. The fact that I asked about the other mazhabs is to acknowledge that all 4 mazhabs are true and correct. It is indeed the mercy of Allah that we have all 4. Too much mischief have been circulated by the enemies of Islam or the ignorant, saying one is more correct than the other. If you delve into your heart of hearts, all of them are of the humblest of slaves of Allah.
As such, we should and we must accord them them the respect that they deserve.
So, which ever way you pray or conduct yourself, if it is within their teachings, we can only respect your choice.

Wallahu 3alam.

ShyHijabi

Oh my my.......my dear sisters. This has turned into a debate of sorts. It was not intended to be that way. It was merely a question about waterproof makeup and nail polish of the other mazhabs. The fact that I asked about the other mazhabs is to acknowledge that all 4 mazhabs are true and correct. It is indeed the mercy of Allah that we have all 4. Too much mischief have been circulated by the enemies of Islam or the ignorant, saying one is more correct than the other. If you delve into your heart of hearts, all of them are of the humblest of slaves of Allah.
So, which ever way you pray or conduct yourself, if it is within their teachings, we can only respect your choice.

Wallahu 3alam.

Salaam sister,

I am actually quite pleased with the discussion as it did not turn into a raging debate. Basically we agreed that there is no "more correct" way between the four imams. IN the end, the intention in the heart is the most important thing, if one tries to be the best Muslim and makes a mistake, then Allah swt is oft forgiving.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

musliminah 05

Forgive me if I am wrong but I thought you could wear make-up to beautify yourself for your husband.
My husband likes me to wear some make-up I personaly didnt think there was anything wrong with it. When I go out I wear purda so nobody else can see me anyway.
May Allah guide us all Inshallah

:wasalam:
:blackhijab:

amirah80

*Fear Allah*
Forgive me if I am wrong but I thought you could wear make-up to beautify yourself for your husband.
My husband likes me to wear some make-up I personaly didnt think there was anything wrong with it. When I go out I wear purda so nobody else can see me anyway.
May Allah guide us all Inshallah

:wasalam:
:blackhijab:

Salam Alaikum

Make-up can be worn in the home for you husband but should not been worn outside in front of non-mahrems. It is actually mustahabb to beautify yourself for your husband. Either by wearing jewelry, make-up, certain attire, etc....

UmmHusnaa

Wallahu 3alam.

I agree with sis sarah, it could have quite easily turned ugly, that is the problem with a lot of muslims these days, it's their way or the highway.

How unfortunate that the ummah has got to a point were one group thinks that they are better than the next, it is the complete opposite of what our Beloved Rasool SAW taught us.

Alhamdulillah here we had a discussion and came to the same conclusion. It is all about intention, so long as you have that complete faith in Allah SWT you can never be misguided.
That is how muslims are supposed to behave with one another, with total respect and love. We are all brothers and sisters, surely you don't mistreat your own sibblings.

Alhamdulillah i am really enjoying discussing on this site :hearts:

sister mujahida

Salaam,

I follow the Hanifi mahtab and water must be able to come in complete contact with the areas being washed in wudu. If the person is wearing makeup or nail polish then the wudu is not considered valid. Hopefully some brothers/sisters from the hanbali and maliki mahtabs can bring forth their understanding of fiqh on this matter.

Though most people on here follow a mahtab they aren't aware of it. They practice fiqh a particular way because it's how they were raised. But of you asked them they would say, "I don't follow a mahtab, I am Muslim." Which shows a fundamental lack of undestanding of fiqh and mahtabs.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

gotta agree wiv this sis

i hate it wen peeps go "i dont follow no madhab, just islam"

its wrong and at the end of the day, we shud followone of the 4 madhabs
a lot of the people that say that are salafis, who simply pick and choose wot they want to follow, suited.
may allah guide us all

UmmHusnaa

gotta agree wiv this sis

i hate it wen peeps go "i dont follow no madhab, just islam"

its wrong and at the end of the day, we shud followone of the 4 madhabs
a lot of the people that say that are salafis, who simply pick and choose wot they want to follow, suited.
may allah guide us all

Sis i don't follow no madhab, just islam. So why is it wrong and why should i follow one of the for madhabs?
I don't just pick and choose what to follow i follow Qur'aan and Sunnah. When i find a ruling like it or not i try to follow it to the best of my abilities.
But isn't that what "peeps" following madhabs do too? Alchohol isn't meant to be sold Period, IT IS HARAM, but ppl from madhabs sell it and justify it too.

Riba is HARAM too, but hanafi scholars say it is ok to get a mortgage out of necessity. What necessity? The one that says Allah SWT will wage war on anyone that deals with riba. Asaghfrullah.

You shouldn't make sweeping judgements like the one you made until you know all the facts.