med school

nam01

sorry, i got cut off before

anyway, i recently applied and received a letter from the university telling me that there will be intimate clinical examinations between students, and for these we are required to wear tshirt and shorts.

As a sister i obviously cannot do this
any advice? what should i do now

justcelebre

Salam,

Is it possible that you get a request from your Dean to excuse you from wearing tshirt and shorts? If they are understanding, I'm sure they'd let you.

Wasalam

ShyHijabi

Salaam,

I had to perform and have performed on me a full physical. (minus GYN and breasts of course) I practiced in my apartment with another sister and we were able to perfect technique. However, for the actual exam they allowed me to wear gym clothes which covered my body and preven5ed unnecessary exposure of my awra.

If all else fails you can ask that your test proctor be female and you exam partner be female as well. The exams are done in a private room so you would not be seen by males.

Wasalam

~Sarah

nam01

Salaam,

I had to perform and have performed on me a full physical. (minus GYN and breasts of course) I practiced in my apartment with another sister and we were able to perfect technique. However, for the actual exam they allowed me to wear gym clothes which covered my body and preven5ed unnecessary exposure of my awra.

If all else fails you can ask that your test proctor be female and you exam partner be female as well. The exams are done in a private room so you would not be seen by males.

Wasalam

~Sarah

But in order to gain your license you have to carry out examinations of male and female patients and practise on male and female students to gain technique on both genders.

AleahKoto

Allah will decide
and?

Aisha, (pbuh) went into the battle field and mended the fighters. Were the warriors male or female? there is your answer when it comes to medicine.

ShyHijabi

But in order to gain your license you have to carry out examinations of male and female patients and practise on male and female students to gain technique on both genders.

The USMLE 2 CS, has you examining patients of both genders. But you yourself are not expected to disrobe as you are the examining person. This cannot be superceded (and your school has no say so since this is a national exam) and basically you have to listen to lung sounds, heart beat, etc. So you will have to ask the patient to remove their shirt.

If you want to become a physician you will have to examine patients of the opposite gender, there is no way around this. There have been fatwas issued that state this is an allowable situation to view/examine a person. Let me know if you want the links and I will dig them up for you.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

Optimist

قل هو الله أحد
I'm a bit confused, why do you need the shorts & T-shirts ?

I'd have thought this is pretty unprofessional.

ShyHijabi

I'm a bit confused, why do you need the shorts & T-shirts ?

I'd have thought this is pretty unprofessional.

Salaam,

There are two times when physicals are done. During 5th semester you partner up and one person examines the other. When they are complete, the partners witch places for the exam. This is why you wear clothing that allows access to most of the body.

The next physical is when you are testing for your second part of the licensing exam. During this time you are dressed professionally and you examine a mock patient who will be in a patient gown.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

nam01

The problem is that you have to allow male students to examine you and the tshirt and shorts allows them easy access to your limbs. The form states that clinical practice will be in small groups of students male and female where you practice on each other.

Shy hijabi, are you in med school in the US?

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
That is seriously messed up ...they specifically stated it has to be a male examiner? crazyy ..sure you read it correctly? :confused:

As far as I know ..there aren't such practises in the UK!

ShyHijabi

Salaam,

Actually no, you do not have to allow male students to examine you, you chose your exam partner for the practice exams in med school. When we practices in small groups before hand the person who was examined was always a volunteer. Also, due to your religious restrictions you are completely permitted to be excluded from dressing in a way that goes against your religion.

My particular med school is an offshore emd school but the clinical part (exams and rotations) are in America. There have been many hijabis who attend American med schools and are exempt from allowing a male to examine them. So no worries sis! :SMILY149:

Wasalaam

~Sarah

nam01

The policy is ridiculous, here in the UK many muslim medics have failed their exams and been kicked out of their medicine course because they refused to participate and examine students of the opposite gender. Also, a law was passed in feb 2008 by the GMC stating that in the hospital, scrubs must allow you to e bare from the elbow down. This is also a problem.

It is my dream to study medicine and ive worked my whole life for it, and at the last minute, this obstacle comes up. I dont want to do something haraam that the rest of my life and also career will be based upon as i'm not willing to compromise my religion for anything. I just dont know what to do!

ShyHijabi

Salaam Nam,

I wonder how they will enforce such a ridiculous policy when surgeons have to gown up completely? I dealt with something akin to this when rotating during my basic science. The surgical nurse wanted me to remove my hijab before entering the operation theatre. I told her this was preposterous since everyone should wear a surgical cap to contain their hair. I ended up discussing the matter with the surgeon and she was disciplined by him.

However I do understand failing a student due to refusal to examine someone of the opposite gender. Some differential diagnosis are gender specific and if a medical student has not learned and displayed basic understanding of this then they should not work in medicine. For instance, if a woman is undergoing an ectopic pregnancy it can easily be misdiagnosed as appendecitis and she could hemmorage to death. It is vital that doctors, no matter their personal preference, be able to examine ANY patient and diagnose properly.

If all else fails there is always the USA. As long as you take the lisencing test you can practice in the US. And I've met surgeon hijabis so I doubt the same rules could apply to us here. :)

Wasalaam

~Sarah